PDA

View Full Version : Demo Questions (Interview Thread Offtopic)

Dino-Fly
2007-09-02, 16:47
Ok, when will we get a demo? ;)

Drummerbummer67
2007-09-03, 05:58
i'm actually wondering that too i check the prequel site like everyday just so i don't miss the demo when it first comes out. even if you can give us a general date then if it needs to be moved it gets moved no big deal..
thanks ahead of time.

Zink
2007-09-03, 08:59
Don't worry, it shouldn't come in the near three weeks at least :)

Okay, let's say 1st November 2007. There is a change that we manage to do it till that date. (Note that a month ago we planned the demo to be finished at the end of August, and we're not even in a half way :)).

Drummerbummer67
2007-09-06, 23:34
thanks for replying i wanted to tell you that but i wanted to ask a question with the same post.... i notice that it seems like on the developers blog it seems to be updated every 5 days.. is that an intentional goal?

Jesse
2007-09-06, 23:40
thanks for replying i wanted to tell you that but i wanted to ask a question with the same post.... i notice that it seems like on the developers blog it seems to be updated every 5 days.. is that an intentional goal?

not really. but i'd like to think so. We just love to brag and whine all day long.

Double-J
2007-09-07, 14:56

More like (for me anyways) I have classes + readings that take up much of my time, so usually every five days or so I have time to write for the blog. :p

Drummerbummer67
2007-09-08, 06:15
oh ok yeah i thought that might have been what it was and i notice it more with your own post.

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-05, 04:36
alright i've been waiting a while to see if someone else would post before me so i didn't have to double post..... my next question (so we can keep this forum alive) is when can we be able to see screen shots.. i'm constantly checking the prequel site and i see when you update and i like the info so far but when can we see an in game screen shot and maybe more charaters or items?

Double-J
2007-10-05, 13:27
Well, if you check the blog, we've posted screens to go along with the character posts. But I wouldn't expect too many screenshots before the demo. We'd like to keep it a surprise. ;)

Dino-Fly
2007-10-06, 19:25
Is the demo coming on the 1st of November?

Double-J
2007-10-07, 02:04
As of right now, yes. We are all committed to that date, and are working towards finishing the demo.

We still need to tie up the level(s) that will appear, and finish up the character animations. The voice recording is pretty much done, and we know what music is in as well. ;)

Dino-Fly
2007-10-07, 18:59
How will the demo work?
I mean, will you only be allowed to be in your house(if there is) and when you leave it the game quits, so, how long will the demo be in a sense?

Double-J
2007-10-08, 15:00
The demo will consist of a few different things which we hope will be indicative of how the final game will operate.

Primarily, it will be to introduce you to the home island where Hegesippe lives, who he is, and what goes on there. You'll meet a variety of characters (though not as many as in the final build) to interact with, and there will be a couple of tasks/goals for the player to accomplish. In addition, I've specifically requested that we have a "training" ground for players to see the new character animations and get just fool around with training dummies and such.

Basically, we wanted to give you a look at an entire island. The demo will be quite open, unlike most, in that you won't be limited to just Hegesippe's house, or a couple of buildings. The entire island (or at least those parts accessible to Hegesippe in the beginning of the game) will be available for you to explore.

That being said - obviously there will be some differences from the demo version and the final build of the home island. Some buildings will be closed up or unavailable, largely to save time and get the demo out soon, but also because we don't want to reveal too much of the story. Some of these buildings and people are tied to side-quests as well.

If I were you, I'd look forward to a solid half-hour of exploring the island and its people. Hegesippe will have a couple of tasks for the player to complete (which you'll obtain through exploration), you'll be introduced to Hegesippe and the people of the home island, and the basic beginnings of the storyline for the Prequel. ;)

SebZ
2007-10-08, 15:11
I've specifically requested that we have a "training" ground for players to see the new character animations and get just fool around with training dummies and such.
Ah! So that's where that part fits in! :lol:
I was wondering what would happen.:rolleyes:

With that being said, were the bits that you got ok? Or should I retry it?

Double-J
2007-10-08, 16:04
Ah! So that's where that part fits in! :lol:
I was wondering what would happen.:rolleyes:

With that being said, were the bits that you got ok? Or should I retry it?

The audio was fine! No worries there. Besides, I always thought you'd make a good dummy. :lol:

I'll give them another listen today, but from what I remember, they were great as-is.

As far as the demo, just keep on that thing I sent you the other day. We need that post haste. ;)

LBAWinOwns
2007-10-08, 16:41
I guess my voices sucked :p, anyway, from what you've said I'm really really excited now!

Double-J
2007-10-08, 19:21
No, it's nothing like that. Its that we're only using certain characters in the demo deliberately - maybe 10-20 NPC's, and 5 main characters. So we don't need that many voice artists for the demo. :D

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-09, 01:31
so was there a large amount of voice auditions then?

Double-J
2007-10-10, 01:05
We have gotten between 1-5 voice auditions every week since we put our site online way back when...;)

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-10, 02:54
that is a lot if you figure the time.. my next question is when the demo comes out how long after do you think it should be until the actual full game is done?

Lewi-G
2007-10-10, 10:37
eep :) thats a good question. DJ?

Double-J
2007-10-10, 19:46
Well, the demo gives us one full island (which will be partially restricted in the demo to preserve the storyline). 1 down, about 8+ to go? :p

At the very least, it will take us another few months to get the game done (and that is with luck, and everyone working), and that doesn't include intangibles like remastering the voice files, finishing movies, and packaging the game for release (not literally; we plan to have multiple versions to download, ranging from a barebones version which people on dial-up can get with ease, to a *complete* version that would fit on a CD-R/DVD, probably in .ISO form).

Realistically? I wouldn't expect the final game until maybe Q3 2008.

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-10, 23:36
well that isn't that bad... iso huh you should probably put a link to daemons tools so people that don't have virtual drives can get it.. if that happens to be an iso can you install a crack so it wouldn't be necessary to read it off a disk?

Double-J
2007-10-11, 00:14
We haven't decided exactly which format we'll release in, so obviously this is all speculation.

That being said, the game will require you to have the LBA 1 disc. However you choose to obtain that is your own prerogative, but the Prequel Team will not condone or support the usage or production of any cracks or similar illegal software for the very same reasons this website does not allow links to such things.

The fact remains, however, that the LBA 1 disc will most likely be needed in order to play the game, unless we find out otherwise from Fred that we could make a standalone game with the LBA code. Until then, we will not (intentionally) do anything illegal.

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-11, 00:43
yeah i have the lba1 disk and it works fine but why is that needed? is the game formated off the disk or is it like an unlock thing?? (Confused..)

Double-J
2007-10-11, 00:54
The engine itself, and some of the necessary files needed for the game to run, are on the disk, and for some reason, will not work outside of that. Sorry for my non-technical knowledge of this issue - I'd ask Alex, Zink, or Obras, as they can supply a much better answer that probably would be more informative. ;)

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-11, 00:58
oh yeah i think i know what you mean probably stuff like dogs4w or whatever the program is.. yeah if one of them can read this that'd be great so does that mean the lba disk can just be fully installed or will it be needed to run since some of the files are transfered to the computer?

Double-J
2007-10-11, 01:08
I don't think it will need to be installed, I think you simply will need it in your optical drive.

Basically, what you need for the Prequel:

1.) The Prequel file package.
2.) LBAWin (may be included in the package).
3.) LBA 1 disc.

And, hopefully obviously,

4.) A PC that can run LBAWin/LBA 1.

Hope this helps! ;)

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-11, 01:15
oh ok that makes sence then.. it should be very intresting to play. i'm really excited to play it..

LBAWinOwns
2007-10-11, 16:36
ISO would be a hazzle and a waste of resources probably. As hazzle, I both mean to make a loader and for people to download daemon tools.

An idea is to have HQR archives download-able? So you can overwrite the files in your LBA folder, if that is not enough automation maybe someone can make an installer, just copy the LBAWin installer but just replace the changed files, would take 5 mins to do.

I think the LBAWin installer is open for everyone, El knows this I think since he made it.

Double-J
2007-10-11, 17:13
Again, that may be the way to go. I just am not the technical person to ask such questions.

As far as LBAWin, I thought that was written by Sebastien Vianney?

LBAWinOwns
2007-10-11, 17:15
Yes, but the latest installer was coded by El I think.

Kobold
2007-10-11, 17:26
Yes, but the latest installer was coded by El I think.
Yep, as said on the LBAWin website.

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-11, 21:39
i'm going to backtrack iso doesn't mean you need daemon tools you can download it into a disk and hard install it to your computer and daemons tools isn't a hassel to download all it does is create a virtual drive so your computer thinks it has a cd in the drive when it doesn't it commonly is used with iso files but every iso file can also be downloaded to a cd and onto your computer..

xesf
2007-10-11, 23:32
The idea to use a CD version is also to include a better soundtrack quality something we only will get if we use CD Tracks. Also if we didn't use CD, LBAWin will only work with a cracked version, something we don't wanna have for our project at least for now and only if we really decide to release a floppy disk version.
I also had this idea to use El installer and it will be very functional if we use a CD.

The things we are concerning are about how much space people want to download from our game, if a CD is too much or few. This stills an issue for us because we will probably use more CD tracks instead of midis, which need much more space, and also because we plan to make a good amount of FLA Movies which even with compression, it takes much space.
Thats why we were thinking about releasing different versions, a big one with more than a CD storage (if thats will be the case in future), a less than CD version, and a floppy disk version with the most important files only.

Still, we need to make tests with the demo to find out what will be the best option to use and to had an idea of how many space we'll need according with music tracks and fla movies.

But probably, the demo will come in a CD image first.

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-11, 23:58
yeah i'm happy to see you on alexfont.. so are you looking at a iso file? will you plan on using a dff or txt for the model of higespire(SP??). and yeah i think the idea of having differnt download sizes is really a great idea.

SebZ
2007-10-12, 16:24
And also as an idea to not put so much stress on the servers would to also release the CD image through a torrent for us who use it to get most CD images - Eg, Ubuntu, Fedora, Etc.
I like this idea of releasing the game in an image.
Also, wouldn't it be smart to burn the image to a CD with something like Nero instead of mounting the image?

Double-J
2007-10-12, 16:38
Also, wouldn't it be smart to burn the image to a CD with something like Nero instead of mounting the image?

That's what I would do. :p

LBAWinOwns
2007-10-14, 17:36
The CD wouldn't contain the LBA(win) executable, right?

Double-J
2007-10-14, 20:19
I don't know. You'd have to ask Alex.

xesf
2007-10-15, 00:09
Depends. We're still thinking if we should hack LbaWin to use Prequel CD label plus LbaWin window with Prequel name inside :). We're still warned about not sharing LbaWin till it get version 1. Anyway, the original executable will surely be inside. We plan to have a original engine file, LbaWin and DosBox versions.

LBAWinOwns
2007-10-15, 16:54
Isn't the whole thing about the LBA program/executable is copyrighted?

Double-J
2007-10-15, 16:56
I think so, but we're in fairly consistent contact with Fred, so maybe we can come up with something. ;)

xesf
2007-10-19, 13:56
He support us making the game, so I think there isn't any problem about releasing the game with it. We can also take them off from the CD and you all know that isn't so difficult to find the engine exe around the net. We'll still give credits to all Adeline team.

Drummerbummer67
2007-10-22, 05:06
since this is an interviewing fourm i wanted to ask which lba game you had gotten first (i used you so it's a general question for whoever to answer) and what had gotten you into the game.. like i wonder because i see the prequel team and everyone has really good talents in certain areas to create a great team. so what got everyone into lba..

I know for me i had lba2 first and i got it with my computer gateway 98 and it came free with it along with another game and i played it and enjoyed it very much then bought lba1 off of ebay..

xesf
2007-10-22, 11:08
Moderation: I move the interview thread offtopic to this thread. You can now freely talk about the demo here.

Regarding previous questions, I bought LBA2 first but played LBA1 first. So this mean, I actually prefer LBA1. Now I have almost all LBA versions outside which I bought them on eBay as well.

One thing I have sure all the team have, we all like LBA too much :p. Most of them prefer LBA2, if I'm not wrong, but that doesn't mean we can't actually work together in LBA1 engine. The team was picked up with determinate proposes and I can say I'm really glad for all the progress we have so far and all the hard work and time they spend with it, even not having so much time for it.
As a quick answer to another question, I can say I wanted to make a LBA game because I start being very interesting in learning how LBA was made, and all the tools we've been making, let me think we can actually do it.

Now as a side note for the demo, I can say we've been working as much as possible in the last days and some of the tasks we scheduled to be done are a bit delayed, but others are now completed. I can say the demo script is done, and all the information we need to make to story script with the exception of the game flag list (action lists) which I'll need to rewrite in the next days. The demo will have a bit of the original LBA Prequel story, but will also have something different that happens only in the demo that happen before the actual story.

The main goal of this demo, isn't to have all the things perfect (in a matter of design) and than show it, but something we can actually improve with all the fans help. We know we don't have so much new layouts for this demo, but we want to improve them all and create them with your help. It will be much easier for us if we could get fans feedback about the work we've been done, and the things you all thing needs to be changed, corrected or simply remove it. So we're counting on you all...

Double-J
2007-10-22, 15:00
For me, I received LBA 2 (Twinsen's Odyssey) as a gift when I was about 12-13, never had any idea about the game until then. I really liked it a lot, it was something different which I enjoyed. The story, the graphics, it was very cool.

Then I got to the Undergas elevator.

Wow, that son of a bitch basically killed the game for me. I could never get past those fucking electric gates. That stopped me from playing for about a year.

In the meantime, I had already purchased LBA 1, and was having fun with that. I didn't enjoy the first game as much as the second, largely due to the saving system, but also because I was not a big fan of that isometric camera. I preferred the full 3D camera of LBA 2 by a considerable margin (and still do, to this day).

In the end, I eventually came upon this glorious site, where I found a walkthrough that led me to using discreet mode in the elevator. Go figure.

And now, my journey is com-plete (as Darth Vader would say). I can't say LBA is my favorite game series of all-time - I think Zelda has a special place in my heart there - but there is no deny that these two games are amazing, and some of the best gaming I've ever had the privilege of playing.

LukeNoNumbers
2007-10-22, 15:10
I actually got LBA1 first, and played it until getting stuck in the Temple of Bu. I then got LBA2 and, though I was stuck for a while on the Emerald Moon (mostly because I didn't know that the spacesuit had a gun installed), I finished it, then went back and finished LBA1. With the possible exception of the first Discworld game, the LBAs are my favourite computer/video games of all time.

I probably prefer the 'look' of LBA2 but definitely prefer the 'scale' of LBA1. The Prequel will contain references to both games. There are a few 'nods' to the Citadel Island of LBA2 in the demo.

Zerath^
2007-10-22, 17:10
How are we who don't have the lba1 cd gonna play the demo then if you have to have (sounds funny lol) the lba1 cd?

LBAWinOwns
2007-10-22, 17:14
By buying one?

And it seems they are gonna release the executable with it, so afaik you can play without it too.

Not to mention a simple download.

Jesse
2007-10-22, 17:36
i bought both games from a friend of mine. lba1 had such beautifull music...music with a sense of struggle/loneliness/hearthwarming moments where it embraces you. and it went perfectly well with the empty/surreal feeling of lba1..a mythic and epic story where you bit by bit transform from an escapee (powerless and haunted) to basicly the one person bringing down funfrock.

awesome.

lba2 was just a quick snack: look at what we can do with lba in 3d environment in a kiddie atmosphere. not my tea

Double-J
2007-10-22, 20:00
How are we who don't have the lba1 cd gonna play the demo then if you have to have (sounds funny lol) the lba1 cd?

See LBAWinOwns post. We're going to try to come up with a package for just about everyone that works. ;)

Lightwing
2007-10-23, 20:35
lba2 was just a quick snack: look at what we can do with lba in 3d environment in a kiddie atmosphere. not my tea

While I think that's a bit exaggerated considering that a lot of work and sweat was put into the game, you're essentially right. LBA2, by comparison, didn't have any of the predecessor's "umphs."

Jesse
2007-10-23, 21:28
by exaggerating i wanted to make a statement ;)

lba2 was/is still a topgame. but it took a drastic turn