PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgica

Gustav Sweden
2001-02-06, 19:40
There's still LBA Fans outthere.. I've got this mail from a guy called Fernando Rojas:

"Hi!

I can´t believe what i read on your page, that possibly there´s no chance for LBA3, because I love the LBA games. LBA1 was the first game i owned. At this time the graphic-engine was revolutionary(Gourad-Shading). Yes, it´s old but still has a good story.

LBA2 i´sn´t so good, because it´s stressing when you´re running away from enemies and there is no good view at the game and you got to press the Enter Key, again and again.

There are better games. But no one is so beautiful."

{}ghost{}
2001-02-06, 23:01
I dunno who wrote it, but LBA2 kicks LBA1's ass!

I so hated the Zone switching thing!

and get stuck in the walls... LOL, look what happened to Wacko because of that... ;)

froggee
2001-02-06, 23:38
lol there you go again bashing wacko after that post about why not to pick on him.. *sigh*

As for the email, there are good and bad points about both games.. I dont think one is really better than the other, it depends on what you would rather have in a game..

There are still lots of LBA fans.. :) You get mail from people that have passed the game! The ones I always get ask the same questions.. 'Where is Raph? How do I get past the tubes in the gazogem factory? I can't climb up the broken ladder (lol) I'd have a walkthrough if I saved them..

[Edited by froggee on 06-02-2001 at 23:48]

elmuerte
2001-02-07, 10:06
Most emails I get are like "Do you have anything news about LBA3", "Do you know where I can buy LBA3" and sometimes question on how to solve the game.

wacko
2001-02-07, 14:41
Originally posted by El_Muerte
Most emails I get are like "Do you have anything news about LBA3", "Do you know where I can buy LBA3" and sometimes question on how to solve the game. That must be soooo damned annoying... don't you have a standard e-mail to send them back? :)

Atresica
2001-02-07, 15:13
Fred does seem to have one :D

Gustav Sweden
2001-02-07, 18:51
I don't get so many LBA 3 msgs nowdays, it was more in 1999.. But there's still people outhere who loves LBA.. What about the 100000 buyers of LBA1?? Where are they?

{}ghost{}
2001-02-07, 18:58
Originally posted by froggee
lol there you go again bashing wacko after that post about why not to pick on him.. *sigh*

Hey!
Look at other posts too!
I also said some things to Jesse and Atresica..!

and simon? what about him? oh eh.. so
Simon is a dumbass!

Ok...?
;)

Atresica
2001-02-07, 20:52
Originally posted by Gustav Sweden
I don't get so many LBA 3 msgs nowdays, it was more in 1999.. But there's still people outhere who loves LBA.. What about the 100000 buyers of LBA1?? Where are they?

Perhabs they don't have internet....:?

froggee
2001-02-07, 20:56
They've probably all moved onto other newer games.. Nobody has any idea what i'm talking about when I say my favorite games are LBA and LBA2.. :(

V2
2001-02-07, 22:15
ok, not everyone can truly love some games

Jesse
2001-02-07, 22:16
lba 1 sold over 500.000 copies
and lba2

not a sucses?

i dunno, is this good or not?

i guess for lba1 it is good

but lba2 was a little too childish

froggee
2001-02-07, 22:46
But being childish is what made it so good.. I think it all has to do with advertisement.. I wouldn't have known about the game if my dads friend didnt tell me about it..

{}ghost{}
2001-02-07, 23:49
Yeah and I just saw it somewhere
Dont remember even where...
not a good sign...
:(

{}ghost{}
2001-02-07, 23:51
Or Maybe they're like me, and they can find a normal LBA site...

I bet that after El would move this site to a normal address the members number will get tripled at least...

Well, the truth is I wanted to say 4 times, but I dunno how you say the thing comes after tripled...
:D
:P
;)
:)

{}ghost{}
2001-02-07, 23:52
Originally posted by froggee
But being childish is what made it so good..

No Doubt about that... :)

Lightwing
2001-02-08, 01:10
Originally posted by {}ghost{}
I dunno who wrote it, but LBA2 kicks LBA1's ass!

Whoah, whoah woah!!! Stop right there! What the hell are you talking about?! Relentless so kick Twinsen's Oddyssey's ass, down to the moon!!!!
And the zone switching thing, was because back then, they could not fit the entire island in one zone. I agree, getting hit by the wall sucked. But that was the ONLY thing that was bad in Relentless. Besides, it gave you some chalange. Unlike LBA2, which I finished in two weeks.. Pfaf!

wacko
2001-02-08, 08:31
Originally posted by Lightwing
Whoah, whoah woah!!! Stop right there! What the hell are you talking about?! Relentless so kick Twinsen's Oddyssey's ass, down to the moon!!!!Right on. No other words for it 8)
But LBA2 was a still a good game though.

Axx
2001-02-08, 08:33
Speaking about which is better LBA1 or LBA2.......
THEY ARE EQUAL IN THEIR STORIES AND EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
%)

wacko
2001-02-08, 08:34
No way. LBA1's story is sooo much better than the one of LBA2. You call it the same story :?

elmuerte
2001-02-08, 13:43
Remember that Adventures are not popular in USA and Asia, in europe there are the most adventure game fans, most adventure games also come from europe.

wacko
2001-02-08, 14:33
Yup... Asia is a lot of RPG and such and the USA... well... just dumb action games I guess ;) :D

V2
2001-02-08, 14:55
yeah, i guess they don't enjoy thinking too much :)

wacko
2001-02-08, 15:20
The only thing they're thinking is
JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

:P

Atresica
2001-02-08, 19:03
I think they made LBA 2 more 'childish' because the first one was it too (????), think about it, LBA 1 was childish but it was not concentrated on childishness, LBA 2 was alot more childish because I think they (possebly the distributers) wanted it to be acceseble by all ages, luckely the diffeculty wasn't too 'childfriendly'.

Propaganda is indeed the keyword and unfortunantly they haven't done it too well (appearently, Activision and the others focussed their minds on "bigger games" (like Quake 2 that came out on the same time).

elmuerte
2001-02-08, 22:15
Originally posted by wacko
Yup... Asia is a lot of RPG and such and the USA... well... just dumb action games I guess ;) :D
Keep in mind that there are 2 diffirent RPG styles.
1: Eastern RPG, fights can't be seen form a distance, they just happen, usual it's in turns.
2: Western RPG, fights can be seen from a distance, you can see what is going to happen, and the fights are real time.

{}ghost{}
2001-02-08, 23:27
OMG, LBA1 sooo sucked compared to LBA2!
Maybe if you think about LBA1 went out in 1994 and LBA2 3 years later, but if you dont count that, so no way!

Lightwing, what's bad about LBA2?

And besides, I finished LBA2 in a week!

And you know how long it took me to finish LBA?
a week!
So its not easier, its just more fun!
In Relentless there were too many bad people I really hated that
too much fighting...
(ugh... Western RPG... *faints*.. Though I liked ultima 9!;))
Anyway, LBA2 was much better!

Lightwing
2001-02-09, 03:46

Oh, you want to know what's so bad about LBA2? I'll tell you!

1. The characters never helped. Everybody always said that "you are the only one that can save the planet", and they just left you. Atresica can back me up on this one. In relentless, people always helped you. Gave you tips, distracted grobos, gave you keys and introduced you to secret entrances. The rebels also helped you.

2. Relentless had no cheats, there fore it was harder to finish it.

3. LBA1 was more challanging.

4. Relentless had harder puzzles. Temple of Bu, crates, etc. All that LBA2 had was the gazogem that I finished in a half an hour. And the letter puzzle.

5. Twinsen in LBA2 was a show off. He kept calling himself. The game kept foreshadowing, and saying how he was the center of everything. He even called himself the "hero of this adventure"

6. Twinsen always read signs, letters and posters extremely slowly, compared to how he read everything in LBA2.

7. The story plot was very boring and predictible. In Relentless is was very mysterious and surprising. You never knew what was going to happend. First your going after Zoe, then your entering the mysterious Temple of Bu, reaserching about your ansesters, legend and the past.

8. Relentless was very mysterious, every place to which you went was full of mystery. LBA2, even though Zelish was introduced for the first time, was very predictible, dark, and gloomy.

9. In Relentless you depended a lot on money. Even though you had to buy few objects and bribe a couple of people in LBA2. In Relentless you constantly had to buy gas, the big boat for 200, etc.

10. Enemies were a whole lot harder in Relentless. A WHOLE lot harder. Which is good, cause it gave you more chalange.

11. Auto-save. It had a lot of bugs, but if you knew how to work with it was very cool. In fact, it is the only game I know that supported Auto-save. Unlike in LBA2, and other games. Where your playing for a long time, foget to save, and then when you get killed you find that the last you saved your game was on planet Twinsun..... :mad:

12. Relentless was a whole lot more mature than LBA2. And that is like the strongest point of all. LBA2 was just so spoiled that it takes up about 75% of the reasons why I don't like LBA2

I can go on like this forever.

{}ghost{}
2001-02-09, 12:00
Oh my god... just listen to what you're saying!

Oh, you want to know what's so bad about LBA2? I'll tell you!

1. The characters never helped. Everybody always said that "you are the only one that can save the planet", and they just left you. Atresica can back me up on this one. In relentless, people always helped you. Gave you tips, distracted grobos, gave you keys and introduced you to secret entrances. The rebels also helped you.

So what, you need to think more!
anyway, that's the only one I agree with you about, they should help you...

2. Relentless had no cheats, there fore it was harder to finish it.

But I used no cheats, as im sure nobody else on this forum at least... that doesnt count anyway...

3. LBA1 was more challanging.

Its good that you backup your opinions... ;)

4. Relentless had harder puzzles. Temple of Bu, crates, etc. All that LBA2 had was the gazogem that I finished in a half an hour. And the letter puzzle.

Hmmm Yep I also agree about that... but not much more puzzeles... the dome of the slate was also one.. well, its kinda tie..
But both games needs more puzzels

5. Twinsen in LBA2 was a show off. He kept calling himself. The game kept foreshadowing, and saying how he was the center of everything. He even called himself the "hero of this adventure"

That's the reason you didnt like it...?
LOL :P

6. Twinsen always read signs, letters and posters extremely slowly, compared to how he read everything in LBA2.

What...? its all tiny things! and if we're already talking about tiny things, LBA2 kicks 1's ass also in this catgory - every time you read a sign you see the whole place, and its very nice...

7. The story plot was very boring and predictible. In Relentless is was very mysterious and surprising. You never knew what was going to happend. First your going after Zoe, then your entering the mysterious Temple of Bu, reaserching about your ansesters, legend and the past.

Well DAA, (;)) LBA1 was the first game! you couldnt think about "oh, now i will probably go the the temple of bu" if you dont know what's the temple of bu!
In LBA2 you knew kindof the whole world already...
Boring story plot?
I dont think so...

8. Relentless was very mysterious, every place to which you went was full of mystery. LBA2, even though Zelish was introduced for the first time, was very predictible, dark, and gloomy.

That what you said in 7, and that's true, because LBA1 was the first game...

9. In Relentless you depended a lot on money. Even though you had to buy few objects and bribe a couple of people in LBA2. In Relentless you constantly had to buy gas, the big boat for 200, etc.

And that's a good thing?
I hate those parts!
They suck, just collecting money... Borring! ;)

10. Enemies were a whole lot harder in Relentless. A WHOLE lot harder. Which is good, cause it gave you more chalange.

Yep that's true, because in LBA1 you didnt have magic, (Which by the way I think they should take off the defense spell, the lightning is ok)and LBA was much more action than a quest and I didnt like it at all
Not LBA1, I mean there was too much fighting...
Even though, when you're thinking about it...
LBA1 was pretty cool too...

11. Auto-save. It had a lot of bugs, but if you knew how to work with it was very cool. In fact, it is the only game I know that supported Auto-save. Unlike in LBA2, and other games. Where your playing for a long time, foget to save, and then when you get killed you find that the last you saved your game was on planet Twinsun..... :mad:

You're kidding! That's the best thing in LBA2!
I never had errors with that!
And the saving system in LBA1 ruined the game!
I so hated it!
how could you remember in which game you're playing and what was the copied one and all that?!?
LBA2 has not only a normal saving system, but also autosave, which saved me a few times from losing a life stupiedly... ;)

12. Relentless was a whole lot more mature than LBA2. And that is like the strongest point of all. LBA2 was just so spoiled that it takes up about 75% of the reasons why I don't like LBA2

Hmm I know what you mean...
Damn im starting to think you're right...
but for now, they're tie....
No doubt
So what if it was more childish?
what's bad about that?

I can go on like this forever.

You're just saying that because you have nothing else to say... :P

P.S.:
I couldnt use the big img to show you what I wrote and what was written already because of the limit.

El please take it off!

V2
2001-02-09, 12:20
when i played lba1 (i played lba2 first) i soon realised how different these games are. it's true that lba2 is easier but it's more friendly. anyway, i thought that they could be two completely different games since the main thing that remains the same is the characters and some other things that could easily be changed if they had decided to make a new game. however, both games are really great and i don't think you should compare the two games. didn't you enjoy them when you played them?? well, that the only thing that counts..

{}ghost{}
2001-02-09, 14:24
Yep I enjoyed each one when I played it...

You're right, we shouldn't compare them..

Atresica
2001-02-09, 15:59
I've enjoyed them both but if I have to compare than LBA 1 wins. What's more is that I have played a part of LBA 2 before I played LBA 1, but I found it much cooler (dispite I knew most locations).

Its just....LBA 1 has a feeling which LBA 2 can not beat. I'm not saying that LBA 2 was a bad game because I've enjoyed it but I did not enjoy it as much as LBA 1.

Also, in LBA 1 the treat was more real, people were afraid of you (remember the two Rabbibunnies who ran away when yu came close by them?), but on Zeelich you were only searched by the police and the inhabitants (except a shopkeeper) acted like you were from around, not that you were somekind of ass-kicking alien.

And last but not least: The drawing style, in Twinsen was in LBA 1 much more realistic drawn than in LBA 2 (in LBA 2 he was drawn much childfriendlier). That's why I draw the LBA 1 Twinsen, not the one from LBA 2.

{}ghost{}
2001-02-09, 18:01

:(

Stop that! im confused now! :?

I dunno already which game is better,

Still thinking LBA2 by a bit...

Lightwing
2001-02-10, 00:29
Hey, don't get me wrong. LBA2 had some very strong points too.

It had far better graphics.
More weapons.
You could control the car.
It had the entire island uploaded, so that then you would not have to load each zone when you entered it.
The game didn't let Twinsen fall over the cliffs unless you tried to jump from one.
The strongest point of all, is when you couldn't hit walls, trees, etc. That was such a freaking releaf. I got killed 98 times in Relentless as the result of hitting sertain objects, while trying to run away from the enemies. Besides, everytime Twinsen hit himself against a wall, especially while running up the stairs and hiting the legde, I got scared as hell. I mean, its like you run, and you run, and then all of the sudden you hear a loud "AHHH!!", and that always took me by surprice.

P.S. You told me that the only reason why I could go forever is because I ran out of ideas. Well, I was actually sirious when I said that.

-Relentless was more humorous. And you would think that none of the games had that much jokes, but there were some. There weren't really that much jokes in LBA1, but some of the characters were so stupid, that they made me laugh. Grobos, Tim that kept falling....there was grobo in the librery that was going to watch Star Wars. Little things like that.....

-I though that the final in LBA2 was much worse. Relentless even got promoted as the game with the best ending...I think Atresica told me that...

elmuerte
2001-02-10, 01:37
Ghost (and others): keep in mind that everybody has a diffirent opinion, and you should respect that. LBA1 isn't realy better then LBA2 or vice versa, it's just an opinion of the person. But if you place your opinion please use good statements why the one is better then the other. But don't fight about it, there is no better game.

Personaly I like LBA1 more.

{}ghost{}
2001-02-10, 11:31
El its not fighting
just trying to convince
but its ok Lightwing is fair
he also said the good things about LBA2
so now I think they're both equal
and that's it...

wacko
2001-02-10, 13:44
-Relentless was more humorous. And you would think that none of the games had that much jokes, but there were some. There weren't really that much jokes in LBA1, but some of the characters were so stupid, that they made me laugh. Grobos, Tim that kept falling....there was grobo in the librery that was going to watch Star Wars. Little things like that.....Yeah, that was cool! :) I'm playing LBA right now on my other computer, and I just escaped from the prison at principal island.

Twinsen> Mister, mister! There's a loose stone in the back wall! I might be able to escape!
Guard> A loose stone? Let me see that! (I like this dumb voice :D)
Clone> Who are you? What are you doing there?
Twinsen> Santa claus!

Mwuhahaha!! :D

{}ghost{}
2001-02-10, 17:02
I dont get it. I always say "Im Twinsen, and im an escaping prisoner" and I always end up back in jail!
:rolleyes:

Lightwing
2001-02-10, 21:42
Hit a grobo in the library.

-There's no reason to fight. I was here before you.

I find it funny.

Gustav Sweden
2001-02-10, 22:35
LBA 1 had a few graphic bugs too, like when you stand outside julia's jouse you see here atand by the door, when you entert she's in the other corner.
Then there were some cheat in some version of LBA 1..
ANd Baldino's helping in LBA2.

Lightwing
2001-02-10, 22:40
Tha wasnt a bug. She stood by the door on purpose. It was just a thing Adeline put in there. Remember though, its just a game. It doesn't have to be realistic.

{}ghost{}
2001-02-10, 22:45
Espcially not the houses' size LOL :D

if you stand outside, Twinsen's house is about 3x3 TSS (Twinsen sporty steps.. :D)
and after you enter the house...
:p

Gustav Sweden
2001-02-11, 12:55
That shows when you stand on top of tippet island.. Look at the map and at the underground city.. it's about 10 times bigger..

elmuerte
2001-02-11, 13:09
There is a graphic bug in LBA2, when you return to Twinsun and go upstairs of Lucs bar you see a little glitch for a very short time.

Gustav Sweden
2001-02-11, 13:15
In LBA 2 it's good that the cameraanglegraphicbug doesn't show up.. When you change camera angle you can't change so that a building comes in between Twinsen and the camera.. It's a problem that have been showing up in many games, like Star Wars Episode 1 for example..

Atresica
2001-02-11, 13:35
Yes, thats one of the reasons that can kill 2nd and 3th person games...

I hope they'll do a good job of that in LBA 3.

wacko
2001-02-11, 13:53
I still think the LBA games are very bug-free, especially for such big games.

{}ghost{}
2001-02-11, 20:11
Hey LBA1\2 arent such big games...
:rolleyes:

Gustav Sweden
2001-02-12, 19:02
LBA 1/2 are or WAS big games!! They sold much and both of them uses to be at the top100 lists over the best games ever.

wacko
2001-02-12, 19:55
Uhm.. with "big" I meant with a long story. It took me quite a while to complete them, especially LBA1.

{}ghost{}
2001-02-12, 20:59
Originally posted by wacko
Uhm.. with "big" I meant with a long story. It took me quite a while to complete them, especially LBA1.

Yeah Gustav I meant long too, but it wasnt!

I played many games longer than these too..

many more

Baldures gate 2
Ultima 9
ultima 8
and more That I dont remember right now..

So its longer than Soliter... :D

ChaosFish
2001-02-12, 21:53
For games at 1994/ 1997 it was pretty long...

{}ghost{}
2001-02-12, 22:11
For a 1994 game it was quite big
for a 1997 game it wasnt even an average.. :rolleyes:

Lightwing
2001-02-12, 22:49
Like I said, Adeline srewed up on Twinsen's Oddyssey.

Gustav Sweden
2001-02-13, 14:51
ooops.. sorry (a bit tired when i wrote it..)