Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and it's world.

Old 2009-06-22, 10:38
a big Mooo to you all :-)

LOL aye. I hope we don't get banned for this...
Old 2009-07-01, 09:08
Twinsun Liberator

Send a message via MSN to Armageddon
well if its not possible with ds is it with a psp or ipod touch?.
Old 2009-07-01, 13:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame Send a message via Skype™ to Darkflame
Its possible on all 3 of them, if we had the source and could recompile/edit it for those platforms.
But we dont, so we cant.

You can run LBA1 crudely using an emulator on the PSP, but I'm not sure how practical it is.

I havnt heard of a DOSBox emulator for the iPhone yet, but there probably is one so it could work.

-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Old 2009-07-02, 17:11
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
I havnt heard of a DOSBox emulator for the iPhone yet, but there probably is one so it could work.
Nah there's not. I requested ZodTTD (the guy who ported gpSP, snes, psx, etc) to port it, and he considered it, but it never came to light.

The psx4iphone emulator, which runs really crudely and slow (but apparently runs pretty damn well on the new iPhone 3GS. So want one.) can load the menu but crashes when gameplay starts. If I ever get a 3GS, I'll try again *caugh*student loan*caugh*.

edit---
just asked him. He plans to port DosBox to iPhone and Palm Pre.

Last edited by Echomote; 2009-07-02 at 18:18.
Old 2009-07-08, 11:35
Twinsun Liberator

Send a message via MSN to Armageddon
thats gonna be soo cool getting one next year ,
Old 2012-03-09, 01:01
Polly parrot

Send a message via MSN to Polaris
Bump !

There is an MS-DOS emulator for DS now, DSx86.
Since the GoG version of LBA doesn't require any CD to play, I copyied the whole of it ito my microSD, but when I try to launch it, I get the following error message : "
Unsupported graphics mode
62 requested!
"

Any ideas anyone ? I didn't use that emulator very much, so I don't really know what to do...
Old 2012-03-09, 19:08
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame Send a message via Skype™ to Darkflame
Fraid not.
I think the developer has posted/hangs out at:
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=16956
Though so you could ask there.

-
Old 2012-03-10, 01:24

It might be able to play on the 3DS
Old 2012-03-10, 02:03
Classic

Power wise, certainly. But [see above about 3ds cracking]

Would be wonderfull to one day have a official LBA game on the 3DS though, I think it could work quite well on a handheld.

-
Old 2012-03-10, 04:28

Yeah... it would be
Old 2012-03-10, 21:07
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Power wise, certainly. But [see above about 3ds cracking]

Would be wonderfull to one day have a official LBA game on the 3DS though, I think it could work quite well on a handheld.
LBA1 remake ported to the 3DS e-shop.
Fred, make it happen!
Old 2012-03-12, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
LBA1 remake ported to the 3DS e-shop.
Fred, make it happen!
they do it and.... ONLY IN EUROPE!.... time to learn a new language i guess
Old 2012-03-16, 00:00
Magic Level: Purple Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditzy Doo View Post
they do it and.... ONLY IN EUROPE!.... time to learn a new language i guess
Ditzy i dont think that you have to allmost every game in europe is in english. So dont worry. Me my self im from Finland and even finnish game makers make games in english.
Old 2012-12-05, 13:01
Polly parrot

BUMP

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2154.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	9451Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2158.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	9452Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2159.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	9453Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2161.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	9454Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2163.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	9455

NOTE : Only works on the flashcard called DSTWO.
What I use for this is a DOS emulator that uses not only the DS's memory, but also the DSTWO's.

Unless someone does a proper port, this is all that'll be possible I'm afraid.

The games runs smoothly when you are the only person on screen, and is a bit choppy otherwise. Although DS2x86 (the emulator I use) emulates sound blaster, I can't get the sound to work properly, so I play with no sound. I sometimes get random crashes, but the game has an autosave function, so it's not a big deal.

All that aside, everything is fine
Remeber the scenaric zoom ? That thing that probably no one ever used ? It's quite handy here !

Does anyone want a guide ?
Old 2012-12-05, 13:46
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
can't this work on the psp vita too?
Old 2012-12-05, 15:18
Polly parrot

Emm... not as such no, the DOS emulator is DS specific. And DSTWO specific.
There is a way to make LBA run on the old PSP, with a PS1 emulator, here's the thread.

Or by emulating DOSBox, although I never tried those methods, I can't help you.
Old 2012-12-05, 18:46
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
BUMP

Attachment 9451Attachment 9452Attachment 9453Attachment 9454Attachment 9455

NOTE : Only works on the flashcard called DSTWO.
What I use for this is a DOS emulator that uses not only the DS's memory, but also the DSTWO's.

Unless someone does a proper port, this is all that'll be possible I'm afraid.

The games runs smoothly when you are the only person on screen, and is a bit choppy otherwise. Although DS2x86 (the emulator I use) emulates sound blaster, I can't get the sound to work properly, so I play with no sound. I sometimes get random crashes, but the game has an autosave function, so it's not a big deal.

All that aside, everything is fine
Remeber the scenaric zoom ? That thing that probably no one ever used ? It's quite handy here !

Does anyone want a guide ?
Yes A guide would be Uber good of you. Whats flash card also and would this work on a 3D a my old dsi is reaching it's end.
Old 2012-12-05, 19:36
Magic Ball Master

If you have the latest 3DS firmware update on your 3DS, it will NOT WORK.
Old 2012-12-05, 19:39
Polly parrot

The flashcard must be a DSTWO as they have on-board CPU.

They also work with a 3DS (You have to wait a bit when the 3DS is patched, they always make a new firmware), but there is a problem with the scaling, the touchpad doesn't scale wereas the screen does. I don't know if it's because of this card or because it's a DS card, I should test it.

Even if not for LBA on a DS, you can consider getting one of these. There's an in-built GBA and SNES emulator.

I'll start working on the guide asap then
Old 2012-12-06, 20:19
Polly parrot

Guide now in beta-testing...
Old 2012-12-06, 20:45
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Even if not for LBA on a DS, you can consider getting one of these. There's an in-built GBA and SNES emulator.
Dang, so many complelling arguments. I kinda want one now. Badly.
Old 2012-12-06, 22:15
Polly parrot

Heh, and I haven't said everything yet
Here's the website.

If you're interested, I got mine from here.
Not so expensive, cartridge arrived in a week or two from the U.S.A. to Europe and payment via paypal possible. I must say I was a bit afraid to buy from a site I don't know, and was quite pleased by the result

The GBA and SNES emulation are not completely fluent, but works fine, when I played a game on my GBA afterwards, I found it weird to be so fluent, like if it was too much
Old 2012-12-06, 22:26
Magic Ball Master

Note that the DSTWO ships with software to circumvent copy protection on Nintendo DS Roms, making it illegal in Germany.
Old 2012-12-06, 23:35
Polly parrot

From what I know, Slot-1 cards weren't made expressely for homebrews, but for pirating games, so yeah... I guess that's the case with every flashcard...

I was looking for a DS programing tutorial and I found one who does a nice introduction about homebrews in general :
Is Homebrew Legal?

Spoiler:
Quote:
Homebrew is legal for a number of reasons. You own the hardware you reverse engineer, so you are free to do with it as you will so long as you don't break the law. Breaking the law would include breaking proprietary copy protection, pirating video games, publishing illegally obtained trade secrets, or otherwise trying to profit off someone else's hard work. Homebrew poses no threat to the official developer kit, as it is so primitive in comparison. Even if you made something to compete with officially produced software, it would be near impossible to publish it. Companies often benefit from homebrew communities. Although software pirates often steal from homebrew discoveries to pirate software, the homebrew community abhors piracy and takes a strong stance against it.
When you buy a piece of hardware, you own it. This means that you are free to break it open, dive into it, reverse engineer it, and so forth. You may void your warranty, but thats the price for learning the intimacies of any system. The only illegal things on this line would be to put into production and sell products made with patented features (without negotiating a production deal with he patent owner), bypassing or breaking copy-protection, or stealing software code. Reverse engineering to learn about how the hardware works and to make something fun for the community is totally fine.
The homebrew tools available for game programming are far behind anything the game company who produced the system could provide (the official development kits). Game system developers have an intimate knowledge of the hardware, as they developed it. The homebrew community has only outsider knowledge through experimentation with the hardware.
It would be close to impossible to publish a game made with homebrew tools. Nintendo would not license your game. It would be hard to find another publisher who would try to publish something made with homebrew tools against Nintendo's will. On other systems besides the Nintendo DS, this is also true.
Companies often don't have a problem with homebrew because it increases the demand for their gaming systems and helps them to learn more about their consumer base. One example of this is with the Xbox. The Xbox homebrew community made the Xbox do things that Microsoft never thought consumers wanted like playindie games, emulate classic game systems, run the Linux operating system, and so forth. Microsoft then included a lot of these features (excepting Linux, of course) in their most recent gaming console, the Xbox 360 via a system called XNA Game Sudio and Xbox LIVE Arcade (XBLA). If a company wants to squash homebrew developers for whatever reason, they'll be smashing an essential fan base that loves that company's hardware design and has the potential to improve it (all at no cost to the company). Homebrew caused such a high demand for the Xbox that it would not have been in Microsoft's best interests to ignore or punish it.
The downside of homebrew is that software pirates often steal from the discoveries of homebrew and use that information to bypass copy-protection and to pirate games. Some companies may take a stance against homebrew for this reason, but doing so is unproductive. Piracy is regrettably inevitable in any industry. It is extremely destructive, annihilating game development houses because publishers will no longer publish their games due to a high piracy rating on the platform the game developers are developing for. Homebrew developers know this, and as the amateur brothers of the official game developers, they share the pain. Homebrew will usually keep all information regarding copy-protection in high secrecy; even if they know how to copy games, they will not share the information. The homebrew community does not want to see the the system they so dearly love come to an early death.

Long but very interesting.
Only after having read that I understood how much was Darkflame right by saying that Nintendo really should have in-built homebrew abilities on the 3DS. It just defy's common sense that they don't !
Old 2012-12-06, 23:41
Magic Ball Master

Yes, homebrew is legal, and I got a DSONE flash card for my DS and a Wii that's hacked top-to-bottom. But the DSTWO explicitly contains mechanisms that circumvent Nintendo DRM on DS Roms. And those mechanisms make the card illegal.