Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2012-05-08, 22:23
Magic Ball Master

MBN Download area file formats

The MBN download page offers the music of LBA 1 and LBA 2 for download, but only as MP3. Make we should make the music available in a modern open format like OGG? The problem with MP3 is of course that is affected by patents and restrictions.

I just ripped the original LBA 1 & 2 CD tracks into FLAC and the quality is quite good. But the .WAV files that are found within the file system of the LBA 2 CD (not as an audio track, but as a simple file) are of bad quality, there's static everywhere, especially in the shorter tracks (JADPCM**.WAV). Converting them to FLAC made this even worse... Or is this just with the files on the particular CD I've got? I don't remember them to be this full of static in the game.
Old 2012-05-09, 00:40
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
The MBN download page offers the music of LBA 1 and LBA 2 for download, but only as MP3. Make we should make the music available in a modern open format like OGG? The problem with MP3 is of course that is affected by patents and restrictions.

I just ripped the original LBA 1 & 2 CD tracks into FLAC and the quality is quite good. But the .WAV files that are found within the file system of the LBA 2 CD (not as an audio track, but as a simple file) are of bad quality, there's static everywhere, especially in the shorter tracks (JADPCM**.WAV). Converting them to FLAC made this even worse... Or is this just with the files on the particular CD I've got? I don't remember them to be this full of static in the game.
Is it not possible to obtain the files from the gog copies of the game?
Old 2012-05-09, 00:50
the legend :p

I'm afraid you're having some codec error, last time I had LBA installed the .wav's were just fine.

I like the idea too, I myself have ripped them into a lossless format. Speaking of which, I couldn't get the Song for Gabriel because it's not in the CD - if someone could do the favour of extracting the full wav for this song and uploading (shouldn't these be in the Twinsunica?), I'd be really happy (and maybe some other fellows here too).
Old 2012-05-09, 12:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsan View Post
Is it not possible to obtain the files from the gog copies of the game?
I couldn't find them, but even if, the GOG licence agreement probably forbids redistributing the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I'm afraid you're having some codec error, last time I had LBA installed the .wav's were just fine.

I like the idea too, I myself have ripped them into a lossless format. Speaking of which, I couldn't get the Song for Gabriel because it's not in the CD - if someone could do the favour of extracting the full wav for this song and uploading (shouldn't these be in the Twinsunica?), I'd be really happy (and maybe some other fellows here too).
The LBA 2 CD only has the theme song stored as an audio track on the CD (that you could play with any CD player). The rest of the music is in the "/LBA/MUSIC" folder stored in the data part of the CD. The Song Of Gabriel is TADPCM1.WAV in that folder.
Old 2012-05-09, 16:44

Hmm, it seems my CD is different from yours. Look at the screenshot (attachment). I don't have any files starting with TAD.

I also take back what I said, there IS some static and noticeable low quality in the JADPCM** wavs, however, very low and only audible if I raise the volume a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LBAcd.jpg‎
Views:	35
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	9121  
Old 2012-05-09, 18:52
Magic Ball Master

Oh right, you have the Twinsen's Odyssey version, not the LBA2 version. I vaguely remember there was some difference in the way the music is stored. Here's my CD:

TADPCM1 is the Song of Gabriel
TADPCM2 is "The Empire"
TADPCM3 is "Honey Bee"
TADPCM4 is "Emerald Moon" - the song that plays, e.g., in the Temple of Bù.
TADPCM5 is "Zeelich" - the song that plays, e.g., at Celebration Island.

How many audio tracks does the Twinsen's Odyssey CD have? The LBA 2 CD only has "LBA's Theme" in the audio tracks, as I said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LBA2_CD_music.jpeg‎
Views:	28
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	9122  
Old 2012-05-09, 19:34

I have 6 tracks, and they're all audio tracks:

1 - The Empire (3:46)
2 - Honey Bee (3:11)
3 - Emerald Moon (3:33)
4 - Zeelich (3:42)
5 - Purple (short song with violin-like synth) (0:54)
6 - LBA Theme (3:51)

Can you please upload me Song Of Gabriel? I am sure I can't have it unless I search for some fan made software to extract it, after reinstalling the game, both tasks which would be very troublesome for me, currently.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2012-05-09 at 19:43.
Old 2012-05-09, 21:48
Magic Ball Master

With what right is that MBN download area distribution all of Philippe Vachey's music anyway? Because if he's fine with it we could just publicly upload the original WAV's, right?
Old 2012-05-09, 22:46

I think there is no problem, since the mp3's have been there for more than a decade and noone complained.

I think El just compressed them for the obvious issue of size, back then in 2000's it was complicated to upload that much.

It would be also nice to have all of the video files...