Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2012-07-17, 16:06
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Improve Midi Music in DosBox

Since I'm unable to use LBAwin anymore I've had to resort to using DosBox and have set it up as instructed in the DosBox guide (Awesome job by the way) but I'm having one problem, the Midi music sounds awful. It sounds as though it's not playing correctly and when it does it just sounds ten times worse than it did when I was using LBAwin.

Does anyone know if there's a configuration (For either DosBox or LBAs own setup) that will fix this issue on Windows 7 64 bit?

Thanks.
Old 2012-07-17, 17:28
Magic Ball Master

That's actually the real MIDI music, which is why it sounds so bad. The original game used excerpts from the CD music instead of the midi music. The Dosbox setup doesn't seem to get that part of the CD music right for some reason. I made a whole scientific study on it.

So in the end, nothing works. I tried setting up cdemu for Linux which is supposed to provide better CD audio support than the Dosbox mount but I couldn't even get it to start on SUSE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Study.png‎
Views:	608
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	9160  
Old 2012-07-17, 17:37
Madman

Has anyone ever done a comparison of the MIDI vs. CD sounds (perhaps in a YouTube video)? I have to be honest, I always thought LBA 1 sounded different than when I remember first playing it on my old Pentium 166 mhz machine. But of course, that was ages ago. So I never gave it much thought.
Old 2012-07-17, 17:48
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Has anyone ever done a comparison of the MIDI vs. CD sounds (perhaps in a YouTube video)? I have to be honest, I always thought LBA 1 sounded different than when I remember first playing it on my old Pentium 166 mhz machine. But of course, that was ages ago. So I never gave it much thought.
1. Download the midi music.
2. Download the LBA theme.
3. Play the very last file in the MIDI archive, LBA1-33.MID and compare it to the theme.

I guess I could make a YouTube video, but that would take three times the effort.
Old 2012-07-17, 21:11
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Send a message via ICQ to A-n-d-r-é
But there are also differences between the midis in MIDI_MI.HQR and MIDI_SB.HQR (see the attached LBA main theme). Also, the SB xmi is half the size of the one in MI (11kb/22kb).
I think the midis in the download section were extracted from midi_sb, because I can hear no percussions in them (And they are way too fast!).

Anyway, I had the same problem with dosbox. There were many notes out of time and it sounded very monophonic, long notes were stopping after about a second and so on. It disappeared when I installed the GOG version. Don't know why ... Maybe a different midi setting in the LBA sound configuration.
Attached Files
File Type: zip lba-xmi33.zip‎ (51.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 2012-07-18, 00:47
Polly parrot

Send a message via MSN to Polaris
It's strange that you have the cd music only in the menu... There is at least one area for each track to play, and I have the cd music in all of them.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:30
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
It's strange that you have the cd music only in the menu... There is at least one area for each track to play, and I have the cd music in all of them.
Could you explain your setup? DOSBox, LBAWin? What's your operating system and CPU architecture? What DOSBox commands do you use to mount your CD?
Old 2012-07-18, 13:02
Polly parrot

Well lately I've been playing the GOG version with the built-in dosbox prompt on a windows 7 64 bit. the cpu is an intel core i5 (I don't know a cpu architecture is ).

But I don't remember ever having issues with the cd music, I mean... Take the hamalayi for example (the rebel assault), it always plays the cd version of the Hamalayi track there...
Old 2012-07-18, 22:01
Magic Ball Master

64 bit is what I was looking for with "CPU architecture".
When I play the GOG version in DosBox I get the MIDI music playing during the intro and outside the citadel.
Old 2012-07-18, 23:10
Do the evolution.

Send a message via MSN to Jasiek Send a message via Skype™ to Jasiek
There was always midi music outside the citadel...

I thought the last GOG release fixed any music issues anyone might have... There was even a thread regarding that on the GOG boards.
Old 2012-07-18, 23:37
Polly parrot

There was always midi music in the intro too. I have a small bug with the cd music in the dosbox version, the music begins a few seconds after the beginning of the track, and plays an equally long section from the beginning of the next track.
Old 2012-07-19, 00:02
Magic Ball Master

Well the music I remember playing outside the Citadel is definitely not the one of the GOG version. I do remember that LBAWin came with a remastered MIDI soundtrack though, Midi_mi_win.hqr. Maybe if I use this to replace midi_mi.hqr I can increase the quality in the GOG version as well?
Old 2012-07-19, 18:41
Do the evolution.

I just quickly tried exchanging the two and I can't see a difference, further more the music to me sounds exactly as it did back when I first played the game. Nothing has changed over the years....

Maybe the card you had before had a bigger soundfont for the midi samples? The soundfonts you use on default aren't larger then 2mb... With an old soundblaster card the software of which allowed me to exchange them I used to have 80mb .sf2 files and the midis where almost near orchestrated quality........
Old 2012-07-19, 19:26
Do the evolution.

Here's a post for improving midi for dosbox in ubuntu, maybe that'll help you.

http://macilatthefront.blogspot.com/...untu-1004.html

There's similar stuff for windows.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2012-07-19 at 19:34.
Old 2012-07-19, 20:01
Do the evolution.

Dosbox and Gravis Ultrasound - I remember salivating over these back in the days... :
www.dosgames.com/forum/about10574.html
Old 2012-07-19, 21:11
Magic Ball Master

So, uhm, would it make sense to install and set up the Ultrasound emulation AND download a better sound font? Or is that redundant?
Old 2012-07-19, 21:32
Do the evolution.

Yeah I think these two methods are somewhat mutually exclusive...

Might as well try both of them out.

However I'm not getting any improvement to be frank...
Old 2012-07-22, 23:27
Magic Ball Master

Well, I tried to change the sound font that Timidity uses, and the result pleases me when I just play a MIDI file with timidity via the command line, works fine. DosBox also uses Timidity, for example when I run the program XMIPLAY in DosBox on one of the XMI files extracted from MIDI_MI.HQR, it also uses the improved sound font from Timidity.

The problem is: LBA itself is not using the Timidity server! When I start LBA in DosBox, it still uses the crappy standard timidity sound font, and looking into my Pulse Audio Volume Control window, the sound doesn't come from the Timidity plugin (like it does when I use XMIPLAY in DosBox) but the standard ALSA plugin that DosBox uses. How do I tell LBA to use Timidity? How does that even work? I guess it requires fidgiting around with the sound card settings (Setup.exe / lba.cfg + the sound card that is emulated by DosBox?).

Edit: figured it out. I used setup.exe to use a MIDI device instead of a Sound Blaster Pro (I use Wave Blaster) and it uses the Timidity sound font. I will make a video about the differences in music quality.

Last edited by Kobold; 2012-07-22 at 23:50.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:03
Do the evolution.

Nice!

What midi device did you choose? I tried a few of them in the lba .cfg file.
Old 2012-07-23, 13:23
Magic Ball Master

I used setup.exe in the LBA folder to set the MIDI driver, I chose "WaveBlaster on top of SoundBlaster 16" (just make sure you select a device that has [MIDI] instead of [OPL] listed)

The original Windows soundfont is usable, you can copy if over from an old Windows installation. It's stored in C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab and is called 2gmgsmt.sf2
Old 2012-07-23, 21:52
Do the evolution.

Could I get your dosbox.conf, lba.cfg and /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg files?

Cause right now, for some reason I have no midi sound at all, and I can't get it back.
Old 2012-07-23, 22:41
Magic Ball Master

I have attached all the files in a ZIP file, plus a readme. Note that you have to change the language in LBA.CFG.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dosbox-midi-setup.zip‎ (6.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 2012-07-30, 21:55
Master of Science & Magic

Just to chime in (get it )
Here are some additional soundfonts you can freely use: http://musescore.org/en/handbook/soundfont

Fluid R3 (which also comes with a lot of Linux distributions) sounds quite good, except some tracks sound very weird (mostly the flutes)

TimGM6mb sounds pretty much as I remember the music to sound like in 1995 (higher fidelity though), although there is 1 instrument used in the LBA theme which is quite off.

GeneralUser GS MuseScore v1.44 has the overal best sound I think, there is maybe 1 instrument that's a bit off. The track with just a flute sounds weird.
Old 2012-07-30, 23:39
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Thanks for all the replies . I did realise however that I can actually use LBAWin (I'm on windows 7 64bit). I somehow got it into my head that I couldn't run LBAWin on a 64 bit OS but I think I'm getting it confused with the windows installation of LBA2. Maybe should have mentioned my OS in the OP and saved you all the effort but I'm sure you helped some people .

Just wondering, has anyone uploaded scans of the official game guide onto this site yet?