Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2009-04-26, 01:36
The return of

Little-Worlds Studio's Foray Back Into the Mainstream

Little-Worlds Studio has in the past few years expanded quite significantly since I visited their offices back in June 2006. Back then they had some 6 or so titles published, today they have more than 50. Back then the team consisted of 8 permanent staff, today that number has swelled to 26. Back then they were exclusively developing DVD Interactive games and applications, now they have diversified their development for multiple platforms. LWS has already developed, or is developing, titles for the PC, Nintendo DS, DVD and iPhone.

But so far, of all the games developed, none are of a large, or even medium scale. However, that may all change very soon. LWS has already been developing its own Wii proprietary technology, and is an " official developer for the Wii, Xbox 360 and PSP" as stated on their revised website. Its interesting to note here that Xbox 360 is now on the list, however whether this is an indication of interest in developing larger mainstream games, or smaller downloadable titles, remains to be seen.

A few months ago, a well placed source hinted that LWS was attempting to return to its roots by developing large scale mainstream titles. Something may be in the works, but he was not in the position to clarify the matter, just that it was a matter of waiting to see what will happen. That could possibly tie in with the with their 360 development plans.

There may be more information in the coming months. If any progress is made, apparently we'll be the first to know!
Old 2009-04-26, 09:15
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame Send a message via Skype™ to Darkflame
Could be downloadables indeed...that would make the most sense...a lot less risk then retail.
Its where to have PSP specified their rather then PS3 though, but you can download to both, as with the DSi too.

Maybe PS3 downloadables they have been put off by the per-gig hosting fee? (but then, its swings and roundabouts and Microsoft gives the lowest %% revenue back, and Nintendo has the less space :P).

To be honest, I'm not sure I want them jumping straight back into big mainstream games. Something small yet potentialy profitable might be a better place to start.
A short platformer like LostWinds, or something of that length.

Given the huge success of Professor Layton, maybe a story-based puzzle game could work too. (Which kinda appeals to new gamers as well as some old ones).
(Please let me know if the site blows up your pc, thanks)
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Old 2009-04-26, 14:14
You what?!

I hope LWS do start releasing some proper games soon (not more of that dvd stuff).
Since it's most of the LBA team there's a good chance they'll come up with something good.
Old 2009-04-26, 18:59
Madman

Oh, snap. 360, Nintendo, and PSP? I realize Fred isn't Sony fan, but c'mon. Just toss the PS3 on there for me. :P
Old 2009-04-26, 19:11
You what?!

I don't actually think Fred has anything to do with Little Worlds? Might be wrong.
Old 2009-04-26, 19:15
Madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
I don't actually think Fred has anything to do with Little Worlds? Might be wrong.
Oh. Poo.
Old 2009-04-26, 23:28
The return of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Oh, snap. 360, Nintendo, and PSP? I realize Fred isn't Sony fan, but c'mon. Just toss the PS3 on there for me. :P
I think its more to do with the simplicity of development for the 360, coupled with the fact that there are more 360s out there than there are PS3s.
Old 2009-04-27, 10:14
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame Send a message via Skype™ to Darkflame
True.
Allthough the question is always a mater of "is the effort to port it from the other platforms worth the userbase/profitmargins" rather then "is it worth making it for ps3". Is the extra time to port worth the extra sales.
-
Old 2009-04-27, 15:41
LOLwut?

I hope this new push will let them make their own original games again.

AFAIK they were doing just commissions.

And I like the idea of working for bigger platforms, there are more risks in that market but there is more money as well.

Old 2009-05-18, 01:35
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via MSN to Aruchi89
This was great news Axx you made mi day!!! now i am much more positive about the creation of LBA 3, it is so good that Fred is actually back on buisness!!!
Old 2009-05-18, 01:36

why is it they dont make 360 games, they are lacking of capital maybe?
Old 2009-05-18, 06:51
Classic

yes
-
Old 2009-05-24, 23:59
The return of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruchi89 View Post
why is it they dont make 360 games, they are lacking of capital maybe?
I think it comes down to risk. Adeline&Nocliche constantly took on big titles for mainstream consoles/PC. And it usually failed. I think this time round they want to be cautious, as one 360 game has the budget of 20 mini games, and needs an extra 2 years worth of development time, and may or may not be a success.

With smaller titles, one hit, and one fail dosn't matter.

Though, thats my own personal two cents.
Old 2009-05-25, 02:22

well, here its 4 am and the first thing that comes to my mind is that maybe they should be needing as much support as possible from us.. like a little push and letting them know that ther's a lot of people out there who will buy their new 360 games, mostly an lba3, maybe sending letters or preparing something, or sending a chain mail to gather signatures from fans... as i've said its 4 am and i ve been up for 22 hours now, maybe i am just being childish .. but whatever, this is one of the reasons we are here in this forum right? to join ourselves and make everything we can to make this dream possible...? i m going to bed now..!
Old 2009-05-25, 07:48
Classic

I dont have a 360, so I wouldnt be buying 360 games unless LBA3 litteraly came out on it and only it.

Makes much more sense to first develop for multi-platforms as downloadables, then you dont carry nearly so much publishing risk.
By publishing stuff on PSN/WiiWare/XboxLiveArcade you only gota make back the development costs to be in profit...rather then development costs + physical publishers cut.
Also, of course, the games are shorter so development time is less overall.

I'm sure they could come up with something nice. An eppisodicaly-released platform game, or some sort of overhead adventure maybe.
-
Old 2009-05-28, 23:29

the only LBA 3 could be made is as a 360 game? what is that exactly, it can be used in pc??
Old 2009-05-29, 15:16
Madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruchi89 View Post
the only LBA 3 could be made is as a 360 game? what is that exactly, it can be used in pc??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Box_360
Old 2009-07-03, 13:14
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Late reply, but I didn't logged in since a long time ...
Axx, I can see you're still well informed !
As you noticed, we released a lot of DS/PC/I-Phone casual games in very short time (that's one of the reason I'm not so active on LbaWin from beginning of LWS adventure...). Today, we don't develop on I-DVD anymore (lake of market...), but we built a strong production chain to be as more reactive as possible on any potential platform, this explain how we released all these titles within this short delay and without more staff. That probably also explain why we're still alive in these crisis days...
BTW, we've still a lot in development (for some more ambitious as you noticed), you'll be informed in time. Just to inform you, another old Lba2 member joined us one year ago, Pascal Dubois.

Please let me now make an horrible thing : a small ad ...
Just if you wan't to help/support/encourage us a bit, here's a small hint you can do :
We released Color Cross (a Picross-like but in Colors) in DS/PC/I-Phone. The PC version has been released in Europe/USA/Japan. So how to help ? Many options :

* Look for a portal distributing the PC version (Yahoo, Oberon, Boonty, Orange, etc) and download the one hour try-before-buy version (just by downloading it make hits and buzz!).
Here's one link in france, but all are EFDIS languages, except for the japanese one which has its own build : http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame.cgi?u...%3Dcolor-cross

Another one in english : http://searchfactory.oberon-media.co...code=115808643

or just google it

* After that, you can even try it

* If you're so frustated by the one hour limit, you can even buy it (arg, I pronounced it)

* not exclusive with all above, send it to all your address book (who know, maybe someone will like it across your familly/friends/meet of one night)...

Of course, you can also check for the DS (no demo yet) and/or I-Phone ones

Again, sorry for this ad...
Have a good (holi?)days
Old 2009-07-03, 18:40
Classic

A colour version of picross sounds quite appealing to me actualy, I'll check it out the game in a mo

And of course, as a forum we will do what we can to support you!
Dont fear or apologise for adverts, as these are the one type of adverts we dont mind!

We are fans of LBA, after all, not for any specific element in the games, but rather the creativity and quality of the games as a whole; Which reflects well on the standards of those that made it, and we want all the developers of LBA1/2 to not just survive, but to thrive in the current market.
-
Old 2009-07-03, 21:06
Master of Science & Magic

Actually... I ordered the NDS version from amazon.co.uk a few hours ago. I like this low value of the pound
Old 2009-07-03, 21:52
Classic

Whoa..yes, for that price Id snap one up no question.
I was a bit iffy with the priceing of the PC version for download, but that seems good value even without the exchange rate factored in.

I notice Professor Layton is there for much cheaper then here too *grabs both*. Soul Bubbles is there too still for 8GBP.....no wait, I got that already

Enjoyed the PC demo, will review it more completely when I have played it more.
Basic coloured mechcanics work well, love the funky animated background too.
-
Old 2009-07-06, 10:51
Classic

umm...I made a news artical, but I dont know how to edit it
I updated it in the news thread to add pictures/make the text neater, but the one on MBNs homepage didnt update.
--

Anyway, I wrote a review;
http://www.rateoholic.co.uk/main/Rat...playReview=480

And am finding am excuses to advertising the game in strange places.
-

Last edited by Darkflame; 2010-08-07 at 14:51.
Old 2009-07-06, 17:54
Master of Science & Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
umm...I made a news artical, but I dont know how to edit it
I updated it in the news thread to add pictures/make the text neater, but the one on MBNs homepage didnt update.[/URL]
erm.. yes, that's a bit buggy, need to fix that some time.