Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2011-10-31, 17:26
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
I meant for LBA 2. Apparently Mobygames don't know either.
Old 2011-10-31, 17:35
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame Send a message via Skype™ to Darkflame
drat
(Please let me know if the site blows up your pc, thanks)
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Old 2011-10-31, 19:41
Polly parrot

Send a message via MSN to Polaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
Could be my mistake, I indeed never understood how Mr. Monk could have sounded his voice all the way over there if he was on the other side of the island... Though I didn't really listen to the voice, comparing them, so I don't know if it is true.
I shall do this soon.
In the french version, that voice and Funfrock's voice are completely different. I thought that the person saying this was the big wannie at the entrance...
Old 2011-10-31, 23:17
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
In the french version, that voice and Funfrock's voice are completely different. I thought that the person saying this was the big wannie at the entrance...
FunFrock is indeed a different voice altogether, but we weren't refering to him.
The thing is, the unmanned voice in the wannies fragment room (gem mines), being compared to the voice of the monk in the (temple?) room at the top of the wannies village. The one with the housemaid. We're assuming the unmanned voice that complains about you dropping the fragment, belongs to the original Dark Monk, who never takes an appearance in the game, and not the imposter FunFrock, who does.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2011-10-31, 23:20
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Yeah, we mean the real Dark Monk. If the voice belonged to him, it would confirm the existence of him.
Old 2011-10-31, 23:34
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Until sofar, I never thought about him altogether.
I might have wondered a few moments about who the real one would have been during my first few runs, but I never looked into it. I guess that I always assumed this believe of the Zeelichians was kind of inaccurate, lol.

It actually is anyway...
Whichever god would have turned their planet into this gassy and hellish place, and still be divinated?

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2011-10-31, 23:37

It's an interesting topic. I think that in the game, Dark Monk really exists, and it's him who turns Zeelich into paradise after Twinsen kills FunFrock.
Old 2011-10-31, 23:49
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
It's an interesting topic. I think that in the game, Dark Monk really exists, and it's him who turns Zeelich into paradise after Twinsen kills FunFrock.
No. The falling FunFrock caused his templestatue to collapse, and the destruction of this evil structure ultimately relieves the planet of the hellish environment.

Really, did the real Dark Monk do that? So many things in this game I took for granted... Just believed in the magic of the world to be responsible for it.

Old 2011-11-01, 10:29
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame Send a message via Skype™ to Darkflame
Or Twinsen is the Dark Monk really.

I think that fit their legend.
-
Old 2011-11-01, 10:44
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Or Twinsen is the Dark Monk really.

I think that fit their legend.
I don't think Twinsen is Dark Monk. For instance, he would have known he was revisiting Zeelich, as Dark Monk has made an appearance to the Zeelichians before (the real one), according to the prophecy. And if Twinsen is him, he couldn't have turned the planet back to it's original wonders, he's not that powerful. Sendell would be, be she's on a different planet and cannot travel in outer space. Don't try to convince me she's inside Twinsen, because she isn't, she's part of the planet he lives on

Old 2011-11-01, 10:49
Classic

We need the exact legend quote I think.
I assumed it was some inherited power deal, so there was a different Dark Monk every few generations.
-
Old 2011-11-01, 10:54
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Nevertheless, I can't see Twinsen would fit in any way.
Twinsen is the chosen one on Twinsun according to Sendell, which has nothing to do with Zeelich. Eventhough it would be a fantastic idea if Twinsen would actually be a divine character, I don't think this fits the story at all.

Twinsen is supposed to protect and save Twinsun, and through his actions, he saves another in the process (during LBA2 only), but as much as Sendell is concerned, this is collateral effect.

Old 2011-11-01, 12:26
Polly parrot

Send a message via MSN to Polaris
I think there is only one Dark Monk, but there also is a chosen one on Zeelich, you can read about it in the room where you defeat Funfrock. If i remember well, he is referred to as "the Stranger".
Old 2011-11-01, 12:42

This is the text of the prophecy from the game:
Quote:
In the beginning, the 2 mother planets, Zeer (the sun) and Lich (the cold) met one another during the Oogh: the great cataclysm. From this Zeelich was born. Life appeared and the brotherhood of the Gods sent there the youngest son of the light, who was called Kard N'kom. Alas, some deleterious fumes emanating from the Great Sulfur Mine disfigured him. His horribly mutilated face escaped the Gods, and it was decided that Kard N'kom would have to forever hide his face and never again appear in front of the noble assembly. Condemned to roam the cosmos forever, Kard N'kom saw his Name erased from the divine law. He who wanders without a face became then known as Dark Monk... Zeelich was populated with 4 different races, condemned by the Gods to fight each other forever. But, life being stronger, the divine brotherhood hurled Zeelich into the first sun of the Novae system. This shock created the planet such as we know it: a blanket of clouds isolating the rocky summits from the melting ground.

Then Dark Monk came back and announced the latest verdict from the Gods. The races were to fraternize and share the task of returning Zeelich to its former beauty. He unveiled a great wonder: from the deadly cloud, hideous monsters were born and threatened to invade the planet. But, thanks to his Key, Dark Monk also gave rise to a volcano which erupted and sculpted in basalt a gigantic statue in his image, holding the Stone Book of the 10,000 Names. At each ceremony, lightning would henceforth inscribe once more the Name of God, Dark Monk. Before disappearing, Dark Monk broke his Key into 4 pieces and thus revealed the Great Prophecy. On the day when the 10,000th Name of God is engraved the reunion of the 4 fragments of the Key will make the monsters and the gas disappear, and will give back to Zeelich the heavenly appearance of its origin. Life will then be reborn as it was in the time of Eden.

... and when the stranger appears, alone capable of reuniting the four keys, Dark Monk will oppose... ...in the ultimate celebration the monsters and the gas will disappear... in forgetfulness Dark Monk will go... ... and life will Zeelich regain...
LOL @ Kard N'kom = Dark Monk
Old 2011-11-01, 12:55
Magic Ball GrandMaster

This proves my point, Dark Monk is not Twinsen. Twinsen is the stranger who opposes Dark Monk and who reunite the fragments, defeating Dark Monk.

However from the text, I feel Dark Monk begins as the ultimate savior, and then after being condemned by the Brotherhood becomes the ultimate fallen angel. I never understood this change.

Old 2011-11-09, 23:22
alexfont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
This is the text of the prophecy from the game:
LOL @ Kard N'kom = Dark Monk
Interesting, I don't remember such name.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-11-09, 23:57
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
Interesting, I don't remember such name.
I had read the text from the temple before, but just once or twice. As I pointed out earlier, I never felt a lot of sympathy (positive feeling) for the Zeelichians about their prophecy, because I already knew who the figure was.

Old 2011-11-10, 06:13

I think it took me quite some time to realize that "Kard N'kom" is an anagram of Dark Monk. When we translated the game we considered making it an anagram in Hebrew as well, but ChaosFish said that this is the name used in all languages, so we dropped the idea and left it at Kard N'kom.
Old 2011-11-10, 10:56
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Hmm, it is really easy to see now that it isn't much of an anagram, it's just the name spelt backwards.

Old 2011-11-10, 11:22
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

(Do you guys know if we can buy it in stores or can we just download it?)
Old 2011-11-10, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
Hmm, it is really easy to see now that it isn't much of an anagram, it's just the name spelt backwards.
Backwards it would be "Mokn Drak", which isn't exactly "dark monk".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courgette View Post
(Do you guys know if we can buy it in stores or can we just download it?)
Check the sticky thread in the General forum, there are a few links there. Although I don't know if any of them actually has a "real" copy of the game.
Old 2011-11-10, 15:38
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
Backwards it would be "Mokn Drak", which isn't exactly "dark monk".
Oh, yes of cource. I read it backwards like this:
Kard N'kom
draK mokN

And I don't see much difference between "drak mokn" and "dark monk" when I read it backwards like that. Easy mistake, sorry

So, it is an anagram. Dispite of my misreading I could read it perfectly fine. A better phrasing would be, I don't think it is a "difficult" anagram, it's just a few letters mixed up. I nevertheless didn't notice the anagram at all, but I also didn't read the poster/tapestry that much.

*Edit:
Does this mean Dark Monk is his REAL name, and "Kard N'kom" was invented afterwards?

Old 2011-11-11, 00:04
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
I think it took me quite some time to realize that "Kard N'kom" is an anagram of Dark Monk. When we translated the game we considered making it an anagram in Hebrew as well, but ChaosFish said that this is the name used in all languages, so we dropped the idea and left it at Kard N'kom.
as I recall Dark Monk wasn't translated in other languages either
Old 2011-11-11, 06:07

I guess that would explain it then . In Hebrew we did translate his name though.
Old 2011-11-29, 10:53
God of Dialup

I'm really glad (and quite frankly, amazed) that this game is being made available legally somewhere. Not to mention, $6 is a steal! I've been periodically streaming myself playing Twinsen's Odyssey on a gaming site, and a lot of viewers really enjoyed the game. Maybe now they'll have a way to play it!

Thank you guys for keeping MBN alive. This entire community project has a lot of sentimental value for me, and I wouldn't be aware of news like this without you!