Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and it's world.

Old 2012-04-13, 15:19
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
The Mystery of Bu

We all remember the temple of bu in the first game as being a giant maze of puzzles, spikes, killer rabby bunny skelletons, falling loggs and stones. We also remember how we took our first vunge into the temple via a ventilation shaft and later made a exit from the temple which is depicted as an Indian like palace on a giant floating rock in a void of redy misty ( note no indication where you actually entered on the 180 dgree view of bu).

Some of us should remember little big adventure 2 giving an unusual placement issue with bu. The ventilation shaft takes you into the first room of "bu" you saw in the first game, but this room is also acessed from the mountain and leads to a roller coaster ride that revolves but dose not exit or enter around the temple.

Now the question is, what exactly is the placement of bu? The first game implies your in the actual temple the second implies the rooms you were in the first gaem are in the moutain and option C implies a paradox of the inside out varity of the rooms of bu.

Now it's time to discuss the mysterious layout of the cannon bu, preferably making the assumption that it's deliberate rather than an oversight of the game designers.

here is some pics for reference

Twinsen leaving the temple

the ventilation shaft

shuttle from the temple

roller coaster temple
Old 2012-04-13, 18:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame Send a message via Skype™ to Darkflame
I always thought of it as a weird magic spacial distortion thing. Kinda like a worm hole.

Kinda like R'lyeh, the non-euclidean city from Lovecraft mythology.
Old 2012-04-13, 18:27
You Only Live Twice

Ye i always thought it was something like that too. Tbh i think the ride is a non cannon gimmick as it would mean the temple or twinsen is bigger than before as twinsen is clearly bigger than the time he left bu, while on the ride.
Old 2012-04-13, 18:38
previously Anakin

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
somebody should email fred about this.
i'm sure he has an elaborate theory that explains all of this. maybe in a draw in his office somwhere.
Old 2012-04-13, 19:40
the legend :p

And most importantly, the physics of the rollercoaster ride are completely innacurate and impossible !!1

Unless of course, temple of Bu is located somewhere near the core - maybe it's an old Sendells temple after all!? - then the gravity pull is stronger OR nonexistant; that'd also explain the orangeish background which must be lava/magma.

Which is strange because in Sendell's well you actually see stars.

Old 2012-04-13, 19:41
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
And most importantly, the physics of the rollercoaster ride are completely innacurate and impossible !!1

Unless of course, temple of Bu is located somewhere near the core - maybe it's an old Sendells temple after all!? - then the gravity pull is stronger; that'd also explain the orangeish background which must be lava/magma.

Which is strange because in the sendell's well you actually see stars.

Those stars are not stars, they are sendells, sendell is only one of many sendells.
Old 2012-04-13, 19:54

Btw, did anyone notice the mermaids in the water fountains in front of the temple?

I think it might have some connection with LeBorgne and the age of pirates in Twinsun !11
Old 2012-04-13, 20:52
You Only Live Twice

Hardly they are purely decorative.
Old 2012-04-13, 23:21
Quetching a Mr.

Wow, I never thought about this with the Temple of Bu. Man, it's all weird. And I have played LBA1 and 2 countless times before. But dangit, I have sort of forgotten who LeBorgne is, all I can remember is that he is a pirate and that he may have something to do with the legend. I've gotta play LBA again to see if I can find anything new.

And it is also strange to find out how the Temple of Bu differs from the first to the second LBA. It's like an allusion. What I don't get is when Twinsen finds his way out of the Temple of Bu at the end of the Temple. It's like a floating island in the orange-ish sky. I wouldn't call it lava or magma skies though. What is this? Is Sendell showing Twinsen an allusion of what it looked like before the Sandstorm? I bet the Temple of Bu was built in the ground before the Sandstorm happened. Also, was the horse going to be ever ride-able at the White Leaf Desert? I can find the Twinsen-Horse model in LBA Package Editor and credits, but no where else. Anyways...

As the years go on, we will always find hundreds of new things.
Old 2012-04-14, 00:43
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame Send a message via Skype™ to Darkflame
Yes, the horse was going to be ridable.
Also the robot at the start on CI was going to be usable too, a few things didnt make the final release. (although its still amazing how much did get in!)
Old 2012-04-14, 01:04
You Only Live Twice

I thought the sphero clone in fortress island was that machien, after all the clones are androids.
Old 2012-04-14, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsan View Post
Hardly they are purely decorative.
Decorative?

Let me remind you that we're talking about a world that is not Earth; and therefore does not know "Earth" things, and does not share it's history. So, for there to be statues of mermaids in the temple of Bu means they've existed in Twinsun once.

Like anakin said, there's gotta be a pile of files somewhere detailing everything.
Old 2012-04-14, 11:24
You Only Live Twice

Funfrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Decorative?

Let me remind you that we're talking about a world that is not Earth; and therefore does not know "Earth" things, and does not share it's history. So, for there to be statues of mermaids in the temple of Bu means they've existed in Twinsun once.

Like anakin said, there's gotta be a pile of files somewhere detailing everything.
In no way shape or form dose it mean mermaids exist lol, it is more than likely a myht that developed like here on earth, the mermaids look like humans not quetches and only 4 intellectual species exist on twinsen XD
Old 2012-04-15, 21:30
Polly parrot

Send a message via MSN to Polaris
I'm pretty sure Anakin was being sarcastic.
Old 2012-04-15, 23:30
previously Anakin

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
I resent that allegation!
Old 2012-04-16, 20:12
First time poster

Bû ?

Uh, I'm a bit messy. Actually I'm copy-pasting an answer I tried to post to an old thread (and it's bad I know, but when the server told me "check the box to agree you are very bad to answer a 1632 days old thread". Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalSwordsMan View Post
My opinion, He's having a big adventure, but it's in a small world (If you compare Twinsun, Zeelich and the Emerald Moon to any other landscape like Earth, you'd know what I'm talking about). Plus it's kind of catchy don't you think? Little Big Adventure, I think the irony does it too (am I overanalysing this or what? I'm becoming one of them ) Lol, why don't we ask the guy who came up with the name, Fred doesn't seem to know the answer to it either...
Hum, is it too late ? Is it that old so it's really bad to answer now ? I was looking for cotton swab (because of the relation between Earth and Twinsun in a recent thread about the temple of Bu, oups should I answer that in the right thread ?)
You are almost right, when I thought about this name at the real beginning of all this, it was because the story was (will be) about a simple little guy who has a great destiny that involves a full planet and further. A little guy in a big adventure. The movie title "Little Big Man" made me confident about its English viability (for that point I was wrong... EA was relentless)

But to be back on thread, Do you know why this temple is named Bû ?

OK and now I realized I'm on Yael's computer with her account. very bad...
Old 2012-04-16, 22:56
Polly parrot

We can still try to guess...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
is a commune in the Eure-et-Loir department in north central France.
You are not from there... I don't see how it could be linked.
Old 2012-04-16, 23:48
Classic

I think we can make a exception to some people sock-puppeting

Quote:
The movie title "Little Big Man" made me confident about its English viability (for that point I was wrong... EA was relentless)
As a English man, Id say there was nothing wrong with that title. Its poetic and very well fitting.
EA might have worried that it wasn't "cool" enough or something, but its perfectly viable.
Old 2012-04-17, 00:40

Please tell us more, Fred / Yael !
Old 2012-04-17, 17:13
Not really new

I don't know if the u should be written û. There is a local expression here (Lyon, France) I discovered when I first came here which is "J'ai mal au bu" meaning "I have an headache" or "Ca me prend le bu" which is the local version of "Ca me prend la tête" meaning ... I can't find something similar in English, may be "It's making head" ? That means that this is something that gives you kind of headache or that is boring to achieve. As the temple was full of challenges and difficulties, thas was meaningful !
Old 2012-04-17, 19:01
Polly parrot

Heh, funny, didn't know that expression.
Old 2012-04-17, 19:06
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
Besides the headache giving, it was hand-ache too for me (because of the way I slammed the keyboard, back then, when I played the game :P ).
Old 2012-04-17, 20:05
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
I don't know if the u should be written û.
Isn't û used when a word lost the "s" letter in the language's evolving process?
At least that's what I remember from one of my French lessons.
Quote:
There is a local expression here (Lyon, France) I discovered when I first came here
Oh, does it mean that an average French person can't understand that word? Or it is known, but not used in other parts of France?

Quote:
As the temple was full of challenges and difficulties, thas was meaningful !
So true!

That's interesting, thanks for telling us about it.
I have some fond memories concerning this name, so I'm doubly grateful!
Old 2012-04-17, 20:12
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia View Post
Oh, does it mean that an average French person can't understand that word? Or it is known, but not used in other parts of France?
Indeed. France is a big country, there are many local expressions and accents. Until the last century, there also were a lot of local languages, french was a language in minority at some places.
Old 2012-04-18, 00:12
Not really new

Yes ^ is used for forgotten letters: for instance: en: forest fr: forêt (but we don't say ...est we say somthing like forey.
It's also used to differentiate some words like
the glass is on the table / le verre est sur la table
I'm sure about it / j'en suis sûr there are not the same sur

So writing it Bû (Actually I don't remember how we write it at the beginning, I need to check that) is like making it different than "bu/drunk" which is the "participe passé" de "boire/to drink" (nothing special to find here with being drunk)

Probably some french people don't know it