PDA

View Full Version : Phase 1.1: Different world representations [design issue]

elmuerte
2006-06-29, 22:03
As you may be aware Twinsun has changed between LBA1 and LBA2.
The changes might not be very obvious the design of the outside world of LBA2 gave more meaning to the sizes of the islands.

I am of the opinion that they made a mistake in LBA2, or maybe because of technical issues, to make the islands way to small.

So the question is, what do we do. Which Twinsun size do we use. Or create two versions. What to do.

- LBA1 gives us a more complete representation of Twinsun in a whole
- LBA2 gives us a complete representation of two islands.

Switching between LBA1 and LBA2 versions like switching between "map" and "sattelite" isn't going to work because the scale might be different and the locations don't match, I think. But it would be nice to be able to switch between the two times.
Maybe it does map correctly, should be wait deciding on this until we have schementical maps?

morshem
2006-06-30, 07:05
I say 2 versions, if that won't be too difficult.

Maybe a poll could be useful here.

elmuerte
2006-06-30, 07:52
But two versions would double the work. And what would you do with the islands that were not used in LBA2?

xesf
2006-07-02, 03:19
Do only one version based in both games.

elmuerte
2006-07-02, 09:43
but that's kind of difficult because all of funfrock's factories and buildings are destroyed, all military camps are gone.
suddenly a lot of nice things on the lba1 islands became useless and unknwon

Darkflame
2006-07-02, 20:55
Start with LBA1, then later see if theres a way it can flick to an LBA2 version.

If nesscery, we could alter, scale/morph the lba2 version slightly to fit better. (though obviously dont actualy change the arrangement of anything).

Purple Sheep
2006-07-03, 21:14
Yes, I agree. The focus should be on LBA1 as it has most of Twinsun. Then when you're viewing Citadel Island and the White Leaf Desert we could eventually implement something to see the LBA2 versions.

elmuerte
2006-07-16, 20:56
Ok, I propose the following as solution for this issue:

Twinsun will be represented as it was in LBA1 as main focus.
Additionally it will get an alternate map for the LBA2 state of Twinsun. The LBA2 version should be remapped to fit to the LBA1 version as close as possible.
The user will be able to switch between LBA1 and LBA2 versions of the map.

Jasiek
2006-08-24, 17:07
I have made a map of Twinsun, based on the LBA1 map, it's for a texture for my game, but if you guys feel like using it then feel free to have it.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5589/twinsunud5.th.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=twinsunud5.jpg)

elmuerte
2006-08-24, 17:21
nice, except that it's still a sphere texture and we need a tube representation or something. White leaf desert and well of sendell are hardly visible at the moment, that's a real shame.
also I wonder... would it be possible to have the hamalayi on the edge instead of the middle?

Jasiek
2006-08-24, 17:25
Hmmm, that would be better I guess, but it would have to be two round maps then, representing the poles.

xesf
2006-08-24, 22:00
nice, except that it's still a sphere texture and we need a tube representation or something. White leaf desert and well of sendell are hardly visible at the moment, that's a real shame.
also I wonder... would it be possible to have the hamalayi on the edge instead of the middle?
I was drawing one with that details but didn't finished. I thought with the draw it could be easier to make what Jasiek did.

I'll try to finished when I get more time for it and will upload it.