the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Upcoming-&-Just-Released-Games Thread (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=13609)

ChaosFish 2008-10-20 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGaspar (Post 364535)
Little Big Planet! Who played it already?

Is it only for PlayStation 3?

RGaspar 2008-10-20 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 364536)
Is it only for PlayStation 3?

No, really? :eek: wait...:p

Bot13 2008-10-20 15:29

Little Big Planet looks great. It's been played by students over the last 2 or 3 weeks in the gaminglab at my school, but we have some kind of game playtest-rights.
It's more input from the user, sort of like Will Wright's style.

ChaosFish 2008-10-20 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGaspar (Post 364537)
No, really? :eek: wait...:p

?
Does not compute.

Darkflame 2008-10-20 16:06

Yes, amazingly it is PS3. First party Sony game I think.
Proof that Sony does have some talented people lieing behind the arseholes in charge of the company.

Zerath^ 2008-10-20 19:21

It is exclusive to playstation 3.

elmuerte 2008-10-20 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bot13 (Post 364538)
Little Big Planet looks great. It's been played by students over the last 2 or 3 weeks in the gaminglab at my school, but we have some kind of game playtest-rights.
It's more input from the user, sort of like Will Wright's style.

gaminglab!?

and... no to will wright's style, he doesn't have a style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 364540)
Yes, amazingly it is PS3. First party Sony game I think.
Proof that Sony does have some talented people lieing behind the arseholes in charge of the company.

not first party, media molecule isn't owned by Sony, they're independent, and LBP is their design and stuff.

Darkflame 2008-10-20 19:49

Oh that is good then, means some of that talent might make its way onto other platforms.

Quote:

He meant as in gameplay...user creation...making their own storys. Very much Will Wrights method.
Rather then art-style.

Bot13 2008-10-21 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmuerte (Post 364547)
gaminglab!?

Yeah it's for testing games. Both made inside the uni and from outside.
Will Wright has style. He has made an entire new genre of gaming, one which always was attractive to people. They want to have control themselves. Make the story, not let the story be told.
I have lessons from numeral game designers from all over the world. They respect him and some get close to worshipping. He's great. I'll probably go to a reading of him sometime in the near future. :)

elmuerte 2008-10-21 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bot13 (Post 364593)
Will Wright has style. He has made an entire new genre of gaming, one which always was attractive to people.

What genre would that be?
And why don't the others matter?

Lightwing 2008-10-21 20:24

I think what he originally meant to say was that the game devs are getting input from play testing groups like Will Wright did.

ChaosFish 2008-10-21 22:08

Will Wright's games are not really games, they're more like toys.

Darkflame 2008-10-21 22:59

Whats the difference between a toy and a game?

Sim City 2000 seems to fall in the same catagory of Cilivisation, or, say, Tetris.

LBAWinOwns 2008-10-21 23:19

Quote:

Sim City 2000 seems to fall in the same catagory of Cilivisation
You have no taste :p

ChaosFish 2008-10-21 23:20

There has to be a goal for it to be a game. Toys are things like Lego and dolls, which can be compared to Will Wright's games.

Mia 2008-10-21 23:55

I disagree, I made up plenty of stories with my Barbies as a young child, which my parents referred to as playing games with them. Also you play make-believe games with friends when little that have no goal.
Maybe you had a deprived childhood or something...

Darkflame 2008-10-22 00:07

Quote:

There has to be a goal for it to be a game.
So Tetris isnt a game then?

Clearing as many lines as you can is as just as much as goal as getting as highest population as you can.
Both are as open-ended as you want them to be.

Darkflame 2008-10-22 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns (Post 364620)
You have no taste :p

How so? Both are good games.

Sim City 2000 specificaly was the high point, later ones not so good.

ChaosFish 2008-10-22 01:03

But the goal in Sim City is not really to get to the highest population. Sim City is about messing around and doing whatever the heck you want. The "highest population" goal is a game that's played with Sim City, but I don't think it's really what Sim City is about.

Much like "cards" is not a game.

It might sound like I'm jabbering about nonsense, but I think it's important for game designers to make that distinguishment.

Darkflame 2008-10-22 02:14

I think its important to understand that something can both be open-ended and a game.

I still dont see any distinction between Tetris and Sim City in that regard.

You can "complete" Sim City 2000 by getting a population over a certain amount. (which triggers all the archologys to blast off into space).

Likewise you can "complete" Tetris by getting over a certain score. (and, simerlaly, seeing a rocker blast off).

But theres also other ways of playing...Tetris can be played for most lines dropped, or how many you can get in certain amount of time.
Sim City might have scanero packs to work though, or you want to unlock all the buildings.

The fact there is more the one way to play dosnt make them less of a game though.

Your analogy with cards is a good one, in that theres certainly more then one way to play these things. But less so as with cards, the rules vary per game. With Sim City, or indeed, Tetris, the rules of the game stay the same. Only the goal of the game changes.

It Sim City was purely a city drawing tool you would be correct. It would be like a Lego Set.
But its not. It has rules and restrictions and thats what makes it a game. Not whether or not it has an end.

I mean, "World of Warcraft" dosnt have an ending or an overall set goal either yet it still a game.
(not a very good game but still a game..)

Jasiek 2008-10-22 03:34

I'm eagerly awaiting Dead Space (it's on gametrailers) for some reason now. And I'm saying "for some reason" cause it's not a genre I would normally go for, but the whole sci-fi factor and the fact that nothing in this game as a whole is regular; there are no weapons per se - only mining tools, no "headshots' only "strategic dismemberment", no HUD (everything is displayed in-game). And there's the minor detail of being on a mining space-ship/colony that used to house 1000 ppl, and is used to dismember planets to get their resources.

Bot13 2008-10-22 13:22

Chaosfish, you are absolutely right about Wright's games being a "toy".
He's one of the first (and at least the most successful) game developer that did that.
With Sims he recreated something along the lines of a doll's house.
With Simcity he did more of a lego-thing.
All similar to existing things, so the gamer knew what needed to be done without the existence of 'goals' in the game. So indeed: a toy.

Darkflame 2008-10-22 15:15

I'm still waiting for a reason why World Of Warcraft and Tetris arnt toys and Sim City is.

ChaosFish 2008-10-22 16:52

I don't know, maybe the distinction is a bit vague. But a sandbox with tools and no aspiration to achieve a clear goal somehow seems more like a toy than a game.

Kobold 2008-10-22 17:36

Take any real time strategy game, create your own map where there are no enemies, and let you win when you have a certain amount of resources. That and you can continue to play after you've reached the goal. "Toy" or not?