the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Upcoming-&-Just-Released-Games Thread (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=13609)

Rex_Hollywood 2008-10-22 17:50

I've never heard of such a pointless mode in a RTS game, but if there is I'd call it a toy.
It pretty much goes against the point of RTS games if you just have to harvest for resources.

Kobold 2008-10-22 17:51

I guess you can do so with the map editor (as I said) in pretty much every RTS where the map editor supports editing triggers.

Darkflame 2008-10-22 18:30

I say its simple the presence of rules that makes something into a game rather then a toy.
Its not the presence of a goal.

Jasiek 2008-10-22 18:51

Guys...
:sigh:

A game is an activity based around following a certain set of rules, while a toy is a singular object.

Both doom3 and a teddy are toys, however a teddy bear is not a game. Will wrights games are still games, becouse they have a certain complexity, but like each game they are also toys - hence the term "sandbox game".

Rex_Hollywood 2008-10-22 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobold (Post 364691)
I guess you can do so with the map editor (as I said) in pretty much every RTS where the map editor supports editing triggers.

Now you're just pushing it, every game can be turned into a toy probably if you make up some new goals, it doesn't mean they're initially a toy.

Kobold 2008-10-22 20:10

Making a joke was the whole point. It's just hard when you have to explain jokes.

Lightwing 2008-10-22 20:55

What difference does it make what its called? People don't know what to argue about anymore.

Rex_Hollywood 2008-10-22 21:13

It's all Darkflame's fault. >:(

Mia 2008-10-22 21:27

I think Lego has rules and restrictions. Given a limited number of bricks there are a certain number of ways to put them and no more. you cannot build absolutely anything with a set of Lego bricks.
(I do agree that Lego cannot be classed as a game though.)

ChaosFish 2008-10-22 21:41

Wing: Because when you want to create a game the first thing you should know is what isn't a game. Not my words, I read it on an article by the game professor dude who created Game Maker. Here: What is a good game? (pdf) - read it, it's really interesting.

Darkflame 2008-10-22 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mia (Post 364707)
I think Lego has rules and restrictions. Given a limited number of bricks there are a certain number of ways to put them and no more. you cannot build absolutely anything with a set of Lego bricks.
(I do agree that Lego cannot be classed as a game though.)

I'd argue pretty much though, that the rules of lego are pretty much the rules of physics...the way too objects can fit together, in this case.

Everything operates under some rules on some level.

But I'd say Sim City is a bit distinct from that.
I mean, to get house's you need to put down a zone, and give it a power line linked to a power station.
People need a way to get to places, you need roads.
To get decent population, you should be aware that residential buildings shouldnt be too near industrial.
To keep crime low, you need a certain amount of police station per population etc etc.

I think these make Sim City more analogious to a card game.

"You do this, and it results in this" type of rules.

Whereas lego is more

"You stick two bricks together....and you have two bricks stuck together" type of rules :D

Playing with a map editor would be akin to lego, however, as your not getting any reactions to your actions....and, like lego, your only limitations are physics. (physics of the game world, in this case...not being able to play a building on water, etc).

Bot13 2008-10-23 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 364708)
-- I read it on an article by the game professor dude who created Game Maker. Here: What is a good game? (pdf) - read it, it's really interesting.

That was a dutchman, if I remember correctly. Will probably meet him in the next couple of years.
As for the game/toy discussion; it's interesting. My opinion about Wright still stands but I'll make sure to ask around the upcoming classes.

ChaosFish 2008-10-23 01:29

Cool, you actually study game design... I doubt there's a place that teaches that anywhere in Israel. Let us know how it went after you ask around.

Rex_Hollywood 2008-10-23 02:38

There are a few places that teach game design in Israel, not sure how good they are.

Lightwing 2008-10-23 03:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 364708)
Wing: Because when you want to create a game the first thing you should know is what isn't a game. Not my words, I read it on an article by the game professor dude who created Game Maker. Here: What is a good game? (pdf) - read it, it's really interesting.

Yes, but calling it a game or toy isn't going to change squat. If you're keeping the player glued to the monitor and engaged, then you're doing your job as a game designer. After that you can call it a game, or a toy, or a virtual visual reality experience for all I care.

ChaosFish 2008-10-23 04:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightwing (Post 364727)
Yes, but calling it a game or toy isn't going to change squat. If you're keeping the player glued to the monitor and engaged, then you're doing your job as a game designer.

No, you're doing your job as a monitor gluer.

Bot13 2008-10-23 18:38

Mailed one of my contacts. He's a french game developer (no, not that one), I'm eager to hear what he has to say.
Now, move on already :lol:

ChaosFish 2008-10-26 02:51

Fallout 3 in 2 days! In the meantime, the PC manual has been released: http://steampowered.com/Manuals/2230..._pc_manual.pdf

Rex_Hollywood 2008-10-26 12:17

Heh I like the pictures, especially the "Blending In" one.

Jasiek 2008-10-28 23:25

PAIN

ICH BIN DER HOFF!!!

This game is a dream come true... shoot David Hasselhoff into stuff making him miserable...

Kobold 2008-10-28 23:41

OMG :lol:
Looks like another reason to get a PS3.

RGaspar 2008-10-29 00:23

Good Good.

LOL crazygame

Darkflame 2008-10-29 01:43

Why release it on PS3? With those graphics it could easily be on PS2 or even PSP :-/
Its like the developers want low sales.

Hasselhoff is great though, really seems to have a sense of humour about himself.

Lightwing 2008-10-29 04:50

I commend him on being able to make fun of himself so much.

And aye, the graphics look like slightly higher poly versions of the Sims.

Zerath^ 2008-10-29 15:24

To me it looked like a Garrys Mod game..