the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   First aid (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Experiencing a LBA1 Ladder Climbing Problem (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=10930)

Twin_Sun 2006-04-29 09:32

Experiencing a LBA1 Ladder Climbing Problem

Hello everyone. =)

Last Sunday I nostalgically loaded Little Big Adventure in my freshly downloaded copy of DosBox. It's been absolutely awesome to be able to replay LBA for the first time in years. ^_^

Unfortunately, I've come across an irritating ladder climbing bug. All attempts to climb ladders have been absolutely futile; Twinsen continually falls off as if I had let go of the forward key. I am, therefore, unable to progress ahead of this slippery ladder on Tippett Island. :P

Help would be very much appreciated =)

morshem 2006-04-29 09:55

Hmm... Does the same thing happen when you run the game with LBAwin?

Twin_Sun 2006-04-29 10:16

I haven't tried LBAWin. I'll download it, try it out later and let you know how it goes. =)

elmuerte 2006-04-29 10:52

that's normal, you just have to keep pressing forward until you are at the top

Streg 2006-04-29 12:19

I don't think that's the problem; he said Twinsen keeps falling down AS if he let the forward key.

Twin_Sun 2006-04-29 13:30

StreGGy is correct; I hold the forward button down while Twinsen climbs up the ladder.

I remembered having read about LBAWin's incompatibility with the diskette version as soon as I went to install it.

Damn. Lol :(

Streg 2006-04-29 13:43

youre unlucky... try copying all your save games in a directory and then reinstall the game.

Twin_Sun 2006-04-30 10:19

After reinstalling LBA, Twinsen continues to fall off the extremely slipperly ladder.Perhaps I should send my savegame to someone who can climb the ladder for me? lol =(

Streg 2006-04-30 21:19

why don't u use a save game editor instead? ;)

Twin_Sun 2006-05-01 15:43

That, my friend, is an excellent idea. =)

Kitarii 2006-05-01 19:00

There's also DxWnd which Folco found a few days ago, it might be worth a try... I think it works better than DosBox.

elmuerte 2006-05-01 19:10

Ricochet: that's not very usefull for LBA1

Kitarii 2006-05-01 20:20

No? I thought it might work if he couldn't use LBAWin. :-/

Jasiek 2006-05-02 13:48

Maybe you could use VDM sound ? It also works with older games, making them run on win XP. I have succesfully used it to run THe Black Cauldron, and some other older games, LBA might run on it.

elmuerte 2006-05-02 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
No? I thought it might work if he couldn't use LBAWin. :-/

LBAWin works perfectly. DxWnd isn't going to help anything

Quetch 2006-05-03 10:40

give that savegame to me ... I'll pass you ;)

Kitarii 2006-05-03 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin_Sun
I remembered having read about LBAWin's incompatibility with the diskette version as soon as I went to install it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Muerte
LBAWin works perfectly.

|) Hmm?

Twin_Sun 2006-05-05 13:53

Ladder Problem Solved! Edit: Or not..

I downloaded and used LBA Savegame Editor to get around those slippery ladders. Thanks for the help, everyone =)

Edit:
I am stuck at the bottom of the ladder where the fisherman reels in the key.
Please tell me the key received from the fisherman is to open an optional area.
(Otherwise I obviously cannot progress unless I skip stuff with the savegame Editor)
Damn those ladders..

Battler 2006-05-05 15:42

- Twin_Sun: I'm sorry, but the key that fisherman gives you, is for the area with the Twinsun Café, and you have to go there, because they need a guitar there, and the grobo barman (I think he's also the owner of the Twinsun Café) tell you they can open you a passage, if you get their band a guitar.
Now, you have to go to Desert Island, talk to that old man sitting near the Temple of Bù, and give him the magic flute. He'll give you the space guitar he received from a meteorite in return, and he'll also make the Desert Island have flowers.
Then you go back to Tippett Island, to the Twinsun Café, and give the space guitar to the leader of that band. The grobo barman then opens that passage.

And this all is NOT optional, because this passage leads to the Dino-Fly, which you will need to reach the final two islands of the game - Fortress Island and Polar Island. Of course, he can only take you to Fortress Island, and not also to Polar Island, but you'll access Polar Island from Fortress Island, once you destroy FunFrock's fortress here. ;)

Twin_Sun 2006-05-06 05:42

I was able to talk to the fisherman by moving to the very edge of the tile above the ladder. The magic ball enabled me to receive the key. Fortunately, my ladder climbing problems ended in the sewers of the Twinsun Café and I was able to finish the game :D

Streg 2006-05-11 23:21

congrats :)