the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   LBA: The Great Rebellion (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Public release of material... (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=13142)

Kobold 2008-05-20 00:27

This ↓
Quote:

Originally Posted by OBrasilo (Post 345824)

Is definitely not an early area of the game.

Bot13 2008-05-20 13:24

Pretty cool. Although you're still using many original LBA textures/bricks, so it look more like an addition to an original scene rather than a new scene or new style.
You can look inside the buildings, but I guess there'll be some kind of doors, right?
If you look at the middle building there are two lanterns placed next to the door. Doesn't look very LBA-ish, but way more important is that they are placed on a V shape like gutter. It's not a place where it would stand solid and surely there would be a shadow anyway.
Keep the textures simple and not too detailed. It's better not to be distracted this much. Also, if you keep the colors of the walls different than the ground, they won't blend in with the environment so much.
Oh and keep in mind the direction of the bricks. Light comes from the left, so the right side of buildings should be dark. Right now some of the bricks are reversed (like the lower stones on the walls of the buildings, which are lighter on the right side than the front), or don't have any noticeable 'angle color-difference' like the yellow ground near the water.
If you do need to have detailed textures then make multiple textures so they won't repeat that much. Look at the grass textures of LBA for instance.

Not yet there but an improvement the the previous map, yes.

Kobold 2008-05-20 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bot13 (Post 350918)
You can look inside the buildings, but I guess there'll be some kind of doors, right?

If you look at any original LBA grid, you'll see open doors as well. Doors are active objects. They are not in the grid, but the scene. :p Yet, in LBA 2 those hatchways didn't really have doors. We might find a solution for that problem later.
Quote:

If you look at the middle building there are two lanterns placed next to the door. Doesn't look very LBA-ish, but way more important is that they are placed on a V shape like gutter. It's not a place where it would stand solid and surely there would be a shadow anyway.

I didn't really think of where to position those lanterns. I failed on that part, you're right. I'll move them around a bit.
Quote:

Keep the textures simple and not too detailed. It's better not to be distracted this much. Also, if you keep the colors of the walls different than the ground, they won't blend in with the environment so much.

What exactly is too detailed for you? The buildings?
Quote:

Oh and keep in mind the direction of the bricks. Light comes from the left, so the right side of buildings should be dark. Right now some of the bricks are reversed (like the lower stones on the walls of the buildings, which are lighter on the right side than the front), or don't have any noticeable 'angle color-difference' like the yellow ground near the water.

Both of these tiles are coming directly from LBA 1, they're not modified or newly created. Though, when looking at it now, the bottom parts of the buildings could really get some help.
Quote:

Not yet there but an improvement the the previous map, yes.

Thanks. :) Keep the comments coming, guys!

RobG 2008-05-20 20:47

Great job guys keep it up!

xesf 2008-05-20 23:21

Yeah, this second design is much better, clean and simple.

Streg 2008-05-21 16:02

Getting excited:D