the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Hi-tech thread (Hoverboards,slowmos and Spaceeeeee) (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=9247)

Odysseus 2008-11-14 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 366686)
Yeah, the hexagon always amazes me.

Pretty sure thats heavily false-coloured image, but still cool.

Yeah you can fit 4 earths inside the diameter of that hexagon I hear.

The collors do seem bit weird... and also the way it looks as if it flares "upward" is weird.

Maybe the Earths pentagon will also light up in the comming weeks, tho perhaps thats just some idea sounding properble to mystics and conspiracy theorists. :p

Odysseus 2008-11-14 20:03

(Just qouting DF so the picture is on this page too.)
Sendell at work :P

Darkflame 2008-11-14 20:41

Well, obviously, its what the main power generator looks like for the planet, its a huge arc-reactor.

Odysseus 2008-11-14 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 366695)
Well, obviously, its what the main power generator looks like for the planet, its a huge arc-reactor.

It's an amazing shape...that was discoverd way back...this glow image thing seems more of a new atention seeker. I read all they did to create the "picture" was to have two infrared readings and translated it into this high contrast image. Dunno if this news is about a new event or just a new way of looking at what was already there?

Darkflame 2008-11-14 21:01

Its new that they have seen this aurora, yes.
Previously we didn't have a telescope in space able to take a decent infrared of it so we didnt know it existed.

Odysseus 2008-11-14 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 366703)
Its new that they have seen this aurora, yes.
Previously we didn't have a telescope in space able to take a decent infrared of it so we didnt know it existed.

Aw, still cool but less epic then. :P

Odysseus 2008-12-10 21:40

Well some more strong clues of the existance black holes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7774287.stm
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/spa...ole/index.html

ChaosFish 2008-12-10 22:53

Wait, I thought the existence of black holes was a fact?

Mia 2008-12-10 23:02

As far as anything can be a fact...
*Mia drifts away into the realm of philosophy and TOK......*

ChaosFish 2008-12-10 23:06

Yes yes, you know nothing for sure except that you exist. But I thought the existence black holes was as much of a fact as the existence of galaxies.

Dino-Fly 2008-12-11 02:04

I think it might be similar to worm-holes, we believe they exist, though have little/no evidence to back it up.

Darkflame 2008-12-11 02:38

No, theres lots of (observed) evidence for black holes, theres none for wormholes.

Thats not to say black holes certainly exist, but we know something like them must be at the center of most galaxys, and something like them cause's graviational-lens effects distorting some stars behind.

Odysseus 2008-12-11 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 369791)
Yes yes, you know nothing for sure except that you exist. But I thought the existence black holes was as much of a fact as the existence of galaxies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction

Also we can't go to the black hole and do tests on it. But I think the clues for black holes have more ground then the clues for the big bang for example.

Why be so sure you exist? Okay it's kinda practical of cause.:p

Darkflame 2008-12-11 17:53

Its part of the definition of sentience...if you are aware of yourself, you must be something, else you couldn't be aware of that fact.

That dosnt mean you exist as you think you do, merely that you must exist as something or some form.

The Problem_of_induction applys more to entropy laws, imho.
What is quite solid observations about heat and gas's are expanded as a general rule over everything in the universe..... specifically used to argue black holes must be like this or not exist at all because things tend to be like this in terms of heat.

Odysseus 2008-12-11 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 369875)
Its part of the definition of sentience...if you are aware of yourself, you must be something, else you couldn't be aware of that fact.

That dosnt mean you exist as you think you do, merely that you must exist as something or some form.

The Problem_of_induction applys more to entropy laws, imho.
What is quite solid observations about heat and gas's are expanded as a general rule over everything in the universe..... specifically used to argue black holes must be like this or not exist at all because things tend to be like this in terms of heat.

Some proof might be more convinsing then other proof but the induction thing applies to all empirical proof. In a way you can say science is kinda based on quantety of proof. When you look the apple might fall downward a hundred million times but what about.... To question even what is taken for fact is what makes good science I think. And that is why the problem of induction is not so much a problem but frees the mind. ^_^

Darkflame 2008-12-12 04:40

Theres scales though.

We have no reason to believe the laws governing gas's will change in different areas of space or time.
Its possible, but we have not even a vague indication of that fact.

However, to look at heat and gas's and declare a rule concerning something completely different (gravity), is like two steps away, because we are inferring a rule based on what we can observe that is not only applys somewhere completely different, but also something completely different too :p

So yes, induction does apply to everything, but some things are like multi-layered inductions :p

Echomote 2008-12-12 04:42

http://digg.com/general_sciences/Sci...tly_from_brain
http://i37.tinypic.com/2pt33o1.png

ChaosFish 2008-12-12 08:43

Holy fucking what the fuck!!

Damn. Argh. This is exciting. Even Walter Bishop would be envious!

Quote:

According to the researchers, further development of the technology may soon make it possible to view other people’s dreams while they sleep.
O MG~!! This better not be a joke. I have to process this information...

(someone better edit this thread's title, Mars is old news)

Odysseus 2008-12-12 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 369919)
Holy fucking what the fuck!!

Damn. Argh. This is exciting. Even Walter Bishop would be envious!

O MG~!! This better not be a joke. I have to process this information...

(someone better edit this thread's title, Mars is old news)

It sure tastes like a hoax doesn't it?
But I'll keep openminded :)
Lol this kinda application might put a lot of people out of jobs.:lol:
And if it's real I agree on the new title for the thread.

ChaosFish 2008-12-12 14:08

Everything earth-shuttering tastes like a hoax at first. It's amazing, but not against logic!

Odysseus 2008-12-12 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 369925)
Everything earth-shuttering tastes like a hoax at first. It's amazing, but not against logic!

You ever seen City of Lost Children?!:sigh:
Anyway if it works one way (output) it might also work the other way...input.

ChaosFish 2008-12-12 17:01

I haven't seen City of Lost Children. Why do you ask?

There's already been input (since sometime in 2006 iirc), where blind people can see black and white images without eyes (from a computer).

Darkflame 2008-12-12 18:08

Big difference; That was the brain learning to understand a lowres webcam. The brain did all the real work.
This is the other way around.

It really isnt anything like the press have painted it though, its not taking images from the brain in the slightest, its merely can distinguish between *already known* images that they have monitored a brain expirencing.
Its very clever, but, sadly, its no where near a dream viewer.
(especialy not as it would be unique per-person...as I understand it)

I think even a basic "true" brain image viewer is a few decades away yet.

ChaosFish 2008-12-12 18:40

Not even you can predict decades ahead... anything that can be decades ahead can surprise you and be 3 years from now... or tomorrow.

About dreams, of course feelings and stuff are a very important factor, but for me at least they are almost always very visual, like images painted to the smallest pixels.

Odysseus 2008-12-12 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 369937)
I haven't seen City of Lost Children. Why do you ask?

There's already been input (since sometime in 2006 iirc), where blind people can see black and white images without eyes (from a computer).

It's one of those "must see" movies...I am sure you will like it a lot.

And yeah our dreams are already dictated by comercials and stuff like that too...lol

But I mean maybe a new way to mess with our heads will come from this. :)