the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   First aid (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   LBA2: problem in dosbox (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=16580)

Hegesippe 2012-12-20 21:38

LBA2: problem in dosbox

I had bought the game when it was first out. I don't remember what OS I was using back then. Last time I played must have been using this Windows XP patch.

Now I want to play it in Dosbox. I don't have the original disk with me, but I have it as a cue/bin file (mounted in Alcohol). IIRC I never have played the game in Dosbox.

I installed and set up the game with no problem. However when I try to run it, I get

Code:

Initialising SVGA device. Please wait...

VESA BIOS version : 2.0
OEM string : S3 Incorporated. Trio64
Vendor name : DOSBox Development Team
OEM product name : DOSBox - The DOS Emulator
OEM product rev. : DOSBox 0.74

Desired resolution: 640*480*8
DOS/4GW error (2001): exception 06h (invalid opcode) at 160:00 blah blah
blah blah
Crash address (unrelocated) = blah

This makes no sense. And I have googled for a similar problem with no luck. Most problems have to do with cd detection etc etc. I also tried using other machine= options supported in Dosbox but no change.

Help?

Polaris 2012-12-21 00:53

How do you set it up ?

Kurck 2012-12-21 01:11

I used to have problems using mounted images. It installs fine, but does never run for me. It either crashes or does not recognize the 'cd'. For me it only worked if I used the real cd.

Hegesippe 2012-12-21 02:24

@Polaris
With setup.exe through Dosbox, just select soundcard (hear the test sound) and language

@Kurck
What kind of problems? Like the one I mention or something else entirely?

Polaris 2012-12-21 13:11

What I meant is how and what drives did you mount ?

Kurck 2012-12-21 13:25

I tested it now and I see I get a segmentation fault (core dumped). I got to this by (the image is mounted on /media/LBA2):
Code:

mount d /media/LBA2 -t cdrom -label LBA2 -ioctl -usecd 1
It first freezes on a black screen and then crashes with a segmentation fault. If I use '-usecd 0', it does not recognize the cd. If I use the real cd however, and I use '-usecd 0', it works just fine :)

Let me know if you find a way to use an image rather than the cd to play the game :)

More information about LBA in DOSBox can be found in this topic:
http://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=6944

Polaris 2012-12-21 14:50

This is in GoG's LBA2 config file :
Quote:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
@echo off
mount C .
imgmount d "LBA2.DAT" -t iso
c:
cls
lba2.EXE
exit

Kurck 2012-12-21 15:04

Hmm, that's interesting!
Edit:
Doesn't work for my iso :(

Hegesippe 2012-12-21 18:00

I mount the cue/bin as f: with Alcohol. Then in Dosbox, mount d f:\ -t cdrom

That's how I work always, didn't try it now with lba2

Polaris 2012-12-22 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurck (Post 424142)
Hmm, that's interesting!
Edit:
Doesn't work for my iso :(

Couldn't get it to work manually either... But that's all the commands there are in that .conf file.

YavorN 2012-12-24 17:56

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all.

I've attached the dosbox 0.74 config file that worked perfectly for me for Little Big Adventure 1 & 2 on my Windows Vista system.

I use cd images that I've made from the original LBA 1 & 2 CDs.

Important points to notice:
-------------------------

- Try different output= options. ddraw works great for Vista

- Use memsize=16. Some games have problems if you have too much memory available in dosbox

- It is preferable to use imgmount for games that use cd audio

imgmount d -t iso "C:\CD Images\Little Big Adventure 2\LBA2.cue"

- the mixer command allows you to adjust cd audio volume, cd volume can't be adjusted in-game when using dosbox

- modify the paths in this config file so that they point to your actual image file location and dos directory
-------------------------

Additionally, make sure to copy all LBA 1 or 2 voice files from the image files and/or CDs to your installation directory, and select "keep voice files on hdd" in lba setup. The game crashes if it tries to copy voice files in-game when using dosbox.

Kurck 2012-12-24 20:15

Nope, still doesn't work for me. The game still does not recognize the drive as the LBA2-cd.

YavorN 2012-12-24 20:27

How did you make that cd image?

Improperly created or faulty images tend to cause such issues.

Can you check if the image is error-free?

By the way, what operating system do you use?

Kurck 2012-12-24 21:11

I used dd (command line tool for copying and converting) to copy the cd to an iso-file, which worked great for any other cd I tried. It might have screwed up with the lba2-iso because the cd isn't in perfect shape after 15 years of use :p I'm not sure how I could check whether the iso is a good copy. I'm gonna copy the cd again, with some extra options enabled. Hopefully that helps. OS: Xubuntu, does dosbox have trouble mounting isos on Linux?

YavorN 2012-12-24 21:37

I've just found this.

http://linux.goeszen.com/how-to-copy...m-to-disk.html

Apparently that dd tool cannot read audio tracks, and most likely you've made a data-only image. You need to make a mixed mode image file, containing both the data and the cd audio.

If your image file extension is .iso, it is definitely not going to work. Iso image files cannot store more than one track, and are therefore not recommended for games that use mixed mode CDs such as LBA.

I am not very familiar with Linux, but I think dosbox should work okay with it, provided that the image file is correctly created.

Kurck 2012-12-24 22:55

Ah, that might be the problem. I am now working on the mixed-mode bin/cue pair. Thanks for the tip :)

-- somewhat later after creating the cue --
Ah, great, it indeed works :D Apparently it was the non-mixed-mode that caused trouble. Thanks!

Polaris 2012-12-25 00:28

The Dark Knight truly appears when he is needed :p

YavorN 2012-12-25 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurck (Post 424284)
Ah, that might be the problem. I am now working on the mixed-mode bin/cue pair. Thanks for the tip :)

-- somewhat later after creating the cue --
Ah, great, it indeed works :D Apparently it was the non-mixed-mode that caused trouble. Thanks!

Great to hear that.

I am glad it worked for you. :)