the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Hi-tech thread (Hoverboards,slowmos and Spaceeeeee) (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=9247)

Darkflame 2009-04-10 09:49

Yes, but do you want any 3D objects, or more your own/custom stuf?

Because if your just looking for anything, theres all sorts.

Like;
http://www.infoaddict.com/roundup-of...ng-your-webcam

The last two demos are downloadable and pretty good.

All adverts mind you. Theres original stuff out there, like that "Levelhead" game, and lots of random demos, but they tend to be flash, or annoying/complex to set up. (or you have to compile).

ChaosFish 2009-04-10 13:30

Thanks for the link!

Darkflame 2009-04-10 14:25

Theres more in the "demos" section on the right here;
http://gamesalfresco.com/
But not all of them are downloadable. (in fact, most arnt)

Jasiek 2009-04-19 16:56

Success!!!

The japanese create a retarded robot!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCK64zsZNNs&fmt=

It's creepy how it can seem life-like though...

Wanna be there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BvISQLKq2s&fmt=

Darkflame 2009-04-20 10:07

Very cool stuff.
I still think the exoskeltion there is the most usefull, and, frankly, utterly amazing tech.

(Allthough come on, they both are using the name Cyberdyne and HAL? Pushing it a tad there arnt they...).

Darkflame 2009-04-21 15:06

Choas - You might also like this for AR testing;
http://www.hitlabnz.org/wiki/BuildAR_Tutorial
Its pretty easy to use.

ChaosFish 2009-04-21 15:08

Cool, thanks, I'll send my cousin that link.

Darkflame 2009-04-21 15:47

New Segway vechile - http://nl.wannahaves.com/item/babef4...u.m.a.-project

Actualy looks pretty good to me, despite the 35mile limitation.
If its cheap, and they could get the road-lisenceing sorted, Id be tempted to get one.

SpaceGuitarist 2009-05-13 23:47

(hope this wasn't posted here before)

Genesis EV-X7 Prototype

http://www.repubblica.it/2003/e/gall...124703_big.jpg
Pick one: the girls, or the bike?*

This ultra-mega-hyper-super cool bike is amazing. Noiseless. Hybrid Magnetic and Electric engine. With a claimed 92 mph top speed and 110 mile range per charge. Takes only 6 hours to charge ( and you can charge it at home). From Japan, ofcourse.

Watch the vid and dream.

*_*

* If you have a bike like this, you won't have to worry about scoring chicks... for lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame
New Segway vechile

Woo. Cool. But it's hard to imagine these actually in the streets (not that the bike I posted above wouldn't call attention or look like you just came out of a sci-fi movie :D).

Jasiek 2009-05-14 01:17

Although I love the bike (and saw it long ago, ha!) I don't think it's a chick magnet in any way :(. Why? It's a one-seater...

Darkflame 2009-05-14 08:05

Aha, thats where the Segway beats it...its a two seater...two very small seats very close together :P

Still, that bikes incredible.

Jasiek 2009-05-14 12:23

Segway sucks. The elderly who could really use can't afford it, and the people who can are tubs of lard anyway - so no chick attraction there.

Darkflame 2009-05-14 14:45

The elderly can afford it just as much as any other sort of vechile, and I'm not exactly sure why you think it will attrack "tubs of lard"....because they couldnt fit :P
http://www.odditycentral.com/wp-cont...uma-segway.jpg
(+Fat = no chance :P)

As I said, for the right price Id love one. A car is pointless for me to own, but just occasionaly it would be usefull to have a vechile for short journeys. I dont care about looking silly if something is as cheap as this to run.

Actualy, thinking about it, Insurance costs will be the main issue. You can get cheap second hand cars fairly easily, but you have to pay insurance.
So to make a vechile attractive for ,say,students over that, youd have to hope the vechile gets a lower insurance cost per year.

Jasiek 2009-05-14 16:10

Yeah right, the regular one is a fat mobile. There's no need for a personal mode of transport with low speeds like that - there's already a more versatile bike (you can ride down the stairs!). Imho it's a dream come true for elderly people, and the wheel-chair version Kamen made before was also great.

Darkflame 2009-05-14 16:24

Dude, they go 35mph.
That isnt that low at all. The typical car speed limit in towns in 30mph anyway.
And sure, yes, you can go faster on a bike, but that people dont. People use cars to get shopping, pick up kids and get around town. Its not a race.
Every critisms like that equaly applies to a car too. (yeah, fat people use them too -_-)

Thats the goal here, to replace the car for short personal transport because it is getting increasingly ridiculous to use one in this day and age.

Jasiek 2009-05-14 16:39

I'm still not seeing your point, you can mount a basket and bags onto your bike and use that for shopping. And It's easier and safer to leave outside the store than that contraption. It is a fat-mobile - or a fat-people-creation-mobile, cause when placed with an alternative to biking or walking people will use this alternative.

Bikes - yes, segways for healthy people -no!

Mia 2009-05-14 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasiek (Post 380354)
I'm still not seeing your point, you can mount a basket and bags onto your bike and use that for shopping.

Yes, and you can also overbalance your bike that way from the weight. Plus cycling is not always the answer, I do not cycle as much as I feel I should because I don't always feel safe on the roads.

Darkflame 2009-05-14 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasiek (Post 380354)
I'm still not seeing your point

That is a car-replacement for about town. The idea is to get people to use more efficiant, cleaner, vechiles for short journeys which they would otherwise use a car.
Mass reduction in car use would also help save our finite fossil fuel supplys, as well as reduceing the volume on the roads and increseing parking spaces. (which for citys like london are major problems...a lot of town space is wasted on parking vechiles that probably have only moved a dozen or so miles)

Bikes are great in terms of efficiancy (80%!), but as they are self-powered and have a capacity of one, this hugely limits there use.

And, yes, sometimes people could use a bike but dont for lazyness reasons...so what? Thats what technology is there for; To do tasks that we dont want to do manualy.
You might as well say people should also save energy by washing their clothing by hand. (healthy for your arm mussles!). Or people should use a sieve to cut the grass.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting a vechile to move you about; Absolutely nothing. Even if its unhealthy due to over-use so what...its your choice.
Personaly I walk everywhere, but I dont hold anything against people that dont.

My concern is with things we dont have a choice with, and cars are damaging our soceity...even our species..as a whole.

Bikes are great and people should use them more.
But to argue against new transport technology because of that is just silly.

Quote:

It is a fat-mobile - or a fat-people-creation-mobile,
Again, how is it any different from a car ?

Why have you got this fat-obbession over this clean,efficiant vechile that dosnt use up our finite fossil fuel supplys, yet your acting like millions of people dont already use a vastely bigger,heavy less efficiant vechile every day to do tasks that this one, or a bike, could do easily.

How is this a "fat people creation mobile" and not a car? Besides is everyone that drives a car fat? no.

And yes, plenty of use's for this vechile could be done with a bike. And plenty could not be. Just like a car.

Quote:

, cause when placed with an alternative to biking or walking people will use this alternative.
They have already got an alternative.

Jasiek 2009-05-14 18:18

Well you seem too hung up on that contraption to say you like walking more ;).

The bike is an alternative to a car for short distance commuting. Not something you end up wasting electricity on, and move your butt about without an effort. The Segway is a toy when used for mass commuting. It's good for elderly people, disabled people and as a good base for robots, wheelchairs and the like. If you want a clean alternative to a car, that needs less of an infrastructure, won't have to be dragged behind you when you run of power, then you use a bike, not a toy.
Darkflame you don't have to advocate for each new technology just because it's hip and modern. This particular one is nonsense for healthy people. It's not an alternative to a car, it's an alternative to walking and cycling for lazy and fat people.

And of course everyone has a right to buy it if they want, duh, no one is disputing that, I don't know why did you even brought up a basic thing like that.

Doesn't make them less of a lazy ass though.

Mia if it overbalances your bike you can buy a small trailer instead - there are even very durable models for use in mountains. And yeah, I'm not too keen on riding on streets too, but people using segway will scuttle around sidewalks anyway.

ChaosFish 2009-05-14 18:23

I never understood why people are excited about cars. All cars are basically the same anyway, a box with four wheels and a steering wheel - it's been that way for like 200 years.

So boring.

Jasiek 2009-05-14 18:25

120 max, since the first car (an electric car). And yeah, I can't understand that either, although I do love some cars for their looks (like the VW Beetle). And I love the electric car, for some reason, in any form.

SpaceGuitarist 2009-05-14 18:49

I don't like to use bikes for small distances travel - it's particularly unsafe here.

So for small distances I generally walk... but sometimes having the practical side of a car without having the bulk of it could be great. So that's where the segway comes in:
- If you go shopping, the segway might be very practical to carry all your heavy bags.
- If it's a rainy day, it might be cooler to use one of these to take a girl out to a cinema that's only a few blocks away instead of showing up with an umbrella.
- Moms could use this just to pick up their kids from school, very small and practicle.
- Just for going to work (if you don't work too far, but still far enough not to walk if you're lazy in the morning (like me :p)). And to come back after you're reaaaaaaaaally tired and don't want to get caught into that everyday traffic-jam on your way home.
- To go to shows/concerts where usually the parking lot is always full.
- To simply go into restaurants, as a couple.
- Every other use where a car is too big, and a bike is too small. I guess this is the "key phrase".

About speed and battery limitations, we must always rememeber that this is just a prototype: if it's a good idea, surely they will improve it. It's like when people discarded Ford's first car as a toy just because it was still in it's initial stages. Or when they said planes were just toys, and it would never be useful to carry passengers (I have this quote somewhere in my PC...). So I'm sure this is just a draft, we can't discard it saying things like "it will run out of power".

And I think it's just a matter of time, when people get used to it, for the segway to fit in the streets, along the normal car traffic. Hopefully when the ratio changes to 10 segways for 2 cars, it will be the best (this will specially occur in every small town and every downtown of big cities...).

And probably after it becomes sucessful, it'll be just like IBM and PCs: everyone will steal the idea and make their own, with many different colors and styles and advantages.

PS: I don't get the thing about being for "fat" people - anyone could use it. In fact, fat people should be the ones who wouldn't use it, if they don't want to be fat forever. :lol:

Darkflame 2009-05-14 19:39

Yeah, you said it better then me.

I dont think the speed/range of the current model is that bad though for intown actualy, I think even with the current specs it would be usefull (to me).

I think the bigger problem may be charging-time. With this sort of tech your either going to need a big cable running from your house, or being the battary in door every time.
Not really that practical.
(untill house's get outside power sockets :P)

Quote:

Well you seem too hung up on that contraption to say you like walking more
Walkings just the most logical thing for me at the moment, because everything for me is...well..in walking distance.
I use a backpack to get shopping, which would be impractical on a bike. Sure, I could use bags at the sides, but by the time I strapped it on/off each time it wouldnt be worth it :P
If the shops where a bit further I would probably get a bike. (as the effort to walk would be more then putting the bags on/off).
However, I only have to get shopping for myself and one other so thats still do-able.

In a family situation that becomes impactical even with bags on the bike, so imho, this sort of device would suit that.
On the other hand, a larger family still would probably need even more capacity, and thus might need a car.
So it depends on the situation.

As for why Id want this myself;
Id use this sort of vechile if I wanted to goto the big cinema here, which is a bit out of town for me at the moment. Certainly beyond walking distance. Probably less then an hours easy backride, but I wouldnt feel like biking back at night on these roads.
Likewise, the DIY center...I was putting up some shelfs recently and had to carry to big planks of wood quite a long way. Not heavy, just impactical to walk with, and doubly so on a bike. Provided there was some way to strap them to this vechile,that would also have been usefull.

Basicaly, I just occasionaly have a need for a car or car-like vechile, but its just really not worth me getting one, so Id love something inbetween.

Quote:

And yeah, I'm not too keen on riding on streets too, but people using segway will scuttle around sidewalks anyway.
Actualy, this model is for roads.

Quote:

And of course everyone has a right to buy it if they want, duh, no one is disputing that, I don't know why did you even brought up a basic thing like that.
I brought it up to show this vechile, and things like it are good, because it gives someone a better choice, even if its just out of lazyness.

Quote:

I never understood why people are excited about cars. All cars are basically the same anyway, a box with four wheels and a steering wheel - it's been that way for like 200 years.
Ditto.
I get particular annoyed when car-companys start showing concept's of vechiles they will never even remotely make. They let their artists run wild with cool ideas, but all they ever do is, as you say, boxs on wheels.

I just want more expirements, in both form and function.

Jasiek 2009-05-18 15:37

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

Wolfram Alpha Beta is online! Ask away!

http://www81.wolframalpha.com/input/...te+question%3F
^Haha :D

360 degrees spherical view in a fighter pilot helmet:
http://gizmodo.com/5248464/how-the-f...t-looks-inside

Darkflame 2009-05-18 16:29

I dissaprove of Wolfram Alpha. The back-end tech is good, but the idea of a single-source of approved information gives me a cold chill.
If it was wiki-based submission of semantic data, it would be brillent, but as it stands Id be worried if it did become popular.