the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   LBA Modifications - General (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New LBA mod under development! (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17904)

gravel22 2016-04-11 06:47

New LBA mod under development!
 
Hi everyone, most of you know me because of my LBA speedrun on Twitch.

I have a great news and it's that I'm making an LBA mod.

The bad news is that I don't have any programmation skill, so I'm just modding the current LBA maps.

Story : Citadel Island have been flooded of sea water and a bad wizard have put lots of puzzles that makes the island really hard to cross. The goal is to get on top of the prison in Citadel.

The game is especially for speedrunner, skilled players, or any other player that want new challenges in the LBA world!

The good news is that it'll only go to Citadel and Principal so I'll be able to finish my project. I also promise you guys I'll finish it }-)

Hope you guys will enjoy !

http://i.imgur.com/webFyeC.jpg

Styx 2016-04-11 22:14

This looks like it will be fun! Make sure you complete it :)

gravel22 2016-04-12 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx (Post 452898)
This looks like it will be fun! Make sure you complete it :)

Thanks man! Yes my main goal is to complete it. :)

ChaosFish 2016-04-12 22:56

Best of luck on your noble journey!

Polaris 2016-04-13 02:21

Oh, my ! This sounds nice |)

gravel22 2016-04-14 06:51

Project is getting better everyday. Let me tell you it's so fucking hard you guys can't believe it. I'll need help from someone who know the tools better to add clovers everywhere on the map.

Thanks for following :-)

Styx 2016-04-14 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravel22 (Post 452910)
I'll need help from someone who know the tools better to add clovers everywhere on the map.

Are there going to be enemies too? What are the clovers for? IIRC in lba1 when you drown you start the scene over unlike lba2 where it respawns you where you fell :rolleyes:

Keep up the determination though we really want to try this ;)

gravel22 2016-04-14 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx (Post 452912)
Are there going to be enemies too? What are the clovers for? IIRC in lba1 when you drown you start the scene over unlike lba2 where it respawns you where you fell :rolleyes:

Keep up the determination though we really want to try this ;)

Yes I'm not adding any more ennemies as the maps have ennemies already and they're fine enough :)

Clovers will be essential at some points otherwise it's just impossible.

Testing this demo is frustrating you couldn't believe :lol:

Styx 2016-04-14 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravel22 (Post 452915)
Clovers will be essential at some points otherwise it's just impossible.

I thought the whole point was that there is flooding and you have to avoid drowning. Clovers replenish life but aren't much help against drowning no?

Polaris 2016-04-15 15:13

No, but they keep you from respawning at the very beginning of the game, they just place you back to the place you entered the scene at.

Styx 2016-04-15 18:40

Doesn't lba1 autosave every time you change scene anyways?

Polaris 2016-04-15 20:45

Nope, it saves up everything at every time. If you loose a health, quit and load before chaning screen, you'll still miss it. So when you get a game over you're put back into a designated spawn place on the island (for example citadel exit at Citadel island, the zone with FF's fortress for principal island) with half hp, half mana and one clover.
Btw, that would be something to look out when modding, so that dead players don't spawn in the middle of the course.

gravel22 2016-04-15 20:57

The save system is really basic in LBA.

Everything is written in real time in the save.

Note that the inventory last spot is written in the ram.

Clover will be goals to not respawn at the prison when you've done some grids.

Styx 2016-04-16 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 452924)
Nope, it saves up everything at every time. If you loose a health, quit and load before chaning screen, you'll still miss it. So when you get a game over you're put back into a designated spawn place on the island

So I'm a bit confused Polaris. I just loaded up a random savegame (spawn in front of twinsen's house's cave) and purposely drowned. As expected my clover respawned me in front of the cave again.

So i went all the way to the harbour scene, drowned, and it spawned me at the entrance of the harbour scene (the last scene i had entered).When i ran out of clovers and got a game over it just asked me to load the savegame again.

Maybe we are making the same point, but it seems to me that the game checkpoints your last scene entrance as the spawn point until you game over (then you start where you last saved). I don't see where these designated places you say come into play:-/


:lol:EDIT: I loaded the save and started exactly how you said at the citadel entrance with half everything... (although also half clovers not only 1)

Zink 2016-04-16 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravel22 (Post 452910)
I'll need help from someone who know the tools better to add clovers everywhere on the map.

Clovers in what form? Hidden like in the original game, so that you have to do "action" in front of a trash can or something, and clover pops out? Or visible clovers laying on the ground, that can be taken by just walking over it? Or clovers in mushrooms, that pop out by walking over?

gravel22 2016-04-17 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zink (Post 452928)
Clovers in what form? Hidden like in the original game, so that you have to do "action" in front of a trash can or something, and clover pops out? Or visible clovers laying on the ground, that can be taken by just walking over it? Or clovers in mushrooms, that pop out by walking over?

It could be anything of these solution :), but I though of a trashcan at the start of every screen that could give 3 clovers.

Or alternatively some chosen ennemies could give clovers.

One thing is sure is soon as I am ready I'll ask for some help for this part! :D

Polaris 2016-04-17 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx (Post 452927)
So I'm a bit confused Polaris. I just loaded up a random savegame (spawn in front of twinsen's house's cave) and purposely drowned. As expected my clover respawned me in front of the cave again.

So i went all the way to the harbour scene, drowned, and it spawned me at the entrance of the harbour scene (the last scene i had entered).When i ran out of clovers and got a game over it just asked me to load the savegame again.

Maybe we are making the same point, but it seems to me that the game checkpoints your last scene entrance as the spawn point until you game over (then you start where you last saved). I don't see where these designated places you say come into play:-/


:lol:EDIT: I loaded the save and started exactly how you said at the citadel entrance with half everything... (although also half clovers not only 1)

Don't underestimate me, I've done my homework :p

Styx 2016-04-17 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 452934)
Don't underestimate me, I've done my homework :p

:tup:

I'm on the "played LBA2 first" team so in-depth details of LBA1 mechanisms are a bit of a :? for me




Keep up the work gravel and let us know when you've got a beta;)

gravel22 2016-04-18 05:52

Just continued working on the map for 3 hours. Past 2 hours it's just a fucking nightmare.

Seriously this IS FUCKING RAGING...

Good luck to not break your keyboard when it comes out.

Zink 2016-04-18 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravel22 (Post 452933)
It could be anything of these solution :), but I though of a trashcan at the start of every screen that could give 3 clovers.

Or alternatively some chosen ennemies could give clovers.

One thing is sure is soon as I am ready I'll ask for some help for this part! :D

These two are actually the easiest types to make. For a trash can: place a Bonus Zone around the trash can (so that the player is inside the Zone when facing the can), and set the Zone's bonus type to "Clover leaf" and quantity/amount to 3.
For an enemy, check it's "Gives bonus" static flag, and set the bonus type and quantity accordingly. He will pop out the clover when killed.

gravel22 2016-04-20 18:17

I've worked on it again yesterday and even stream the development. So now I won't be adding any more screenshots here, if you want to see it watch me on Twitch :)

gravel22 2016-04-21 00:00

Just stream 4 hours of development. I've finished outside citadel :)

It's coming!

xesf 2016-04-21 22:10

Nice idea. Good luck on that and of course I would love to have a try.

gravel22 2016-04-22 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by xesf (Post 452975)
Nice idea. Good luck on that and of course I would love to have a try.

Thanks man! I'll be streaming tomorrow :)

Styx 2016-04-29 16:06

Hey gravel how's it going? Any updates?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:23.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, the Magicball Network