the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hegesippe (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=11428)

Sailor Zelich 2006-09-10 04:02

Hegesippe

In lba1, in the runic rock that it is in the cave (next the house of twinsen) speaks in the translation of the game for the portuguese on hegesippe, previous ancestral of twinsen. Hegesippe then was the father of twinsen? sorry, my english is horrible:sad: .

morshem 2006-09-10 07:02

He was his ancestor ;)

Streg 2006-09-11 01:27

its incredible how these worlds are similiar in many languages. in italian it is antenato, that is actually made up of the word ante (before) and nato (born). I guess its the same for portuguese.

CiB 2006-09-11 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreGGy (Post 287363)
its incredible how these worlds are similiar in many languages. in italian it is antenato, that is actually made up of the word ante (before) and nato (born). I guess its the same for portuguese.

You'll find many words in many European languages are quite similar- the majority of European languages are largly derived from Ancient Greek and Latin. And then other contempory languages affect those around them- for example (I kid you not) the English word Parliament comes from the French "Parler Ment"- talk shop.

Purple Sheep 2006-09-13 18:56

Yes, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese are all Romance languages (i.e. derived from Latin). English is Germanic but has loads of words taken from French due to the Norman Conquest.

CiB 2006-09-13 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Sheep (Post 287705)
Yes, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese are all Romance languages (i.e. derived from Latin). English is Germanic but has loads of words taken from French due to the Norman Conquest.

English is actualy very much a hodgepodge of other languages- most of which were dervived from Latin and Ancient Greek, although English borrows far more directly from Ancient Greek and William Shakespears ability to create new words than it does from any Germanic languages. Yes the Angles and Saxons were Germanic- the Vikings, Normans, Romans, Celts and (in the North of England) Picts most certainly were not.

EDIT: Although the Norman Conquest didn't effect English very much at all- only really our definitions of 'swear words'- the main reason French became such and influence on English is that French was one of Europes diplomatic languages, along with Latin.

Purple Sheep 2006-09-13 22:42

Well, according to Wikipedia,
Quote:

English originated in England, and is a West Germanic language which developed from Old English, the language of the Anglo-Saxons. As a result of the Norman Conquest and other events in English history, it has been heavily influenced, more than any other Germanic language, by French and Latin.
What a random thing to argue about...

CiB 2006-09-13 22:55

Most of English's Germanic words were in fact outlawed by the Normans- although, yes after some research, I was somewhat ignoring the Germanic impact. English is a Germanic language, althugh there is also a huge influence from Latin and Ancient Greek- as I said earlier, English is a hodgepodge of many European languages.