the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Fan Fics (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Collaborative fiction (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=16100)

SpaceGuitarist 2011-12-18 05:21

Collaborative fiction
 
The game is... I'll start with a brief intro and picture. Then, everyone continues the story from that point (no pictures needed, just a few lines/paragraph), let's see where it goes. Don't need to elaborate much!

This way if there's nothing interesting/new to post in MBN, you can always give a line here. ;)

---

On a rainy day the lanes and the streets look like rivulets, and the entire city becomes magically converted into Venice. The street wears a deserted look.
You were passing by as you see this dazzling girl stop and look at you, noticing the poor situation you're in - without an umbrella, soaked, caught by surprise.

She's about to open her lips and say something, when you interrupt that awkward moment and say:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln...b9vso1_500.gif

(you continue..!)

Polaris 2011-12-19 01:25

"Careful" but too late, the minibus passing right behind turned both of you soaking wet. "No need for an umbrella now..." And you notice, behind her angry and upset watery look, what could ver well have been, for a fraction of second, a faint smile.

--

(My god, I'm so romantic)

SpaceGuitarist 2011-12-22 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 411238)
"Careful" but too late, the minibus passing right behind turned both of you soaking wet. "No need for an umbrella now..." And you notice, behind her angry and upset watery look, what could ver well have been, for a fraction of second, a faint smile.

Murmuring to yourself, in a volume she can hear, you say "... wherever we were heading to, we can't anymore...". Some moments of silence pass as both realize they should take some time until the rain stops and their clothes dry.

Almost in a perfect synchronicity, one look up to eachother and say "Why don't we take a cup of coffee?". A mutual smile is shared, as they proceed to a nearby café.

SpaceGuitarist 2011-12-22 06:10

UPDATE:


I've set up a site where I'll gather all posts into one seamless story, separating each member contribution with different alternating colors.

Also, this story has now a title.

Welcome back 1994.

This story is what you make of it. Join in.

Reek 2011-12-22 11:44

The bartender at the cafe glances at you briefly, to avoid revealing the fact that you know already know each other. While you and your companion seat yourselves at a corner, he runs his hand under the bar to make sure the shotgun he keeps there is in it's place. He seems to believe there may be trouble ahead.

Streg 2011-12-22 15:54

Nice thread.

-----

Suddenly you hear somthing ringing. You recognize the ringtone of your mobile, but it's not in your pocket, where it should be. The girl smiles coldly and takes out something from her handbag. It's your mobile. It's still ringing. She licks her chops slowly, as she reads the caller's name. Something is wrong. You feel totally unsafe.

Rex_Hollywood 2011-12-22 23:28

As she utters the first syllables into the phone's speaker, you realize why you felt so unsafe. It is beyond you how you so far missed the simple fact that the girl is a polar bear, the phone is a piece of meat and the bartender is just a random penguin walking around in a silly penguin way.

SpaceGuitarist 2011-12-23 00:07

Your survival instinct from immediate danger kicks in, and during a brief moment you regain consciousness of the real situation. Seagull only knows how long you've been stranded, eating snow, and now about to be eaten. It amuses you how realistic your hallucinations have been and how gullible you were despite your promises to be strong; however not as amusing as to the fact it is actually raining.

Reek 2011-12-23 01:42

Although she has managed to cause much confusion, the girl's trickery has finally come to light. She isn't a real polar bear. Rather, she was a fake one.
In fact, she is a wizard, from the wizarding guild.

"looks like you got me" she says.
"I will now open the door of sacred carrot for you".

Streg 2011-12-27 09:15

and so what looked like to be the beginning of a great fiction was ruined by the evil polar bears. And wizards. Oh, and sacred carrots too! And the thread died slowly.

SpaceGuitarist 2012-01-08 19:12

Sad. At first I was pissed by FB2K's post, like "dafuq is he doing!?", then realized it wasn't complete nonsense and we could actually use it to stray from the girl and bar plot to someone who had been stranded in the South pole. However, Anakin decided that wasn't a good turn and pulled back the story into the bar... BUT, introduced the magic carrot stuff... so now I regret to inform that this fic is closed, it was a good experiment, but we should start from scratch now. I will make a new thread soon.

Thanks for all you who joined in the fun!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6Y...HkbMU83E=w1600

Rex_Hollywood 2012-01-10 14:59

It wasn't nonsense at all. What's the point of collaborative fiction if someone sets and idea and everyone else is stuck in that world? Part of the fun is improvising.

ChaosFish 2012-01-10 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood (Post 411852)
It wasn't nonsense at all. What's the point of collaborative fiction if someone sets and idea and everyone else is stuck in that world? Part of the fun is improvising.

I already solved the problem... JOIN!

Darkflame 2012-01-10 15:06

[random thought]
Wouldnt it be cool if there was a online discussion ¨flowchart¨ software so that at any point in a story someone can branch it off in a different direction?
You could thus end up with a few different stories from the same start.
[/random thought]

ChaosFish 2012-01-10 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 411854)
[random thought]
Wouldnt it be cool if there was a online discussion ¨flowchart¨ software so that at any point in a story someone can branch it off in a different direction?
You could thus end up with a few different stories from the same start.
[/random thought]

But but but but.... that's what I just did :(

Mia 2012-01-10 17:01

I've taken part in a few Collaborative Fiction attempts in my time, including paragraph alternation and so on. One of my favourites involved everyone writing their own opening paragraph, then everyone attempting to write a story following on from each opening paragraph. Was very interesting to see the different directions one opening can take.

SpaceGuitarist 2012-01-10 19:00

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/8303/ruiningfic2.jpg

Darkflame 2012-01-10 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 411855)
But but but but.... that's what I just did :(

Wait..what? I thought you just used a forum :?

ChaosFish 2012-01-10 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 411869)
Wait..what? I thought you just used a forum :?

Yes to both. Did you take a look?

Darkflame 2012-01-10 23:27

No, I blindly assumed things because Iḿ a lazy sod :P

Ok, I see what you did - guess thats the best way to do it on a forum. Still think a real story flowchart software would be nice thought :P
If it wasnt for the fact account management and forum database stuff is a pain I could do the interface bit easily :D

Reek 2012-01-13 19:19

well well well. the nerve of some people.
you all started bitching and moaning about how i and rex_hollywood supposedly spoiled your little story, but when you get the chance to write one without us "interfering", what happens? nobody posts!

the truth is, rex_hollywood and i are better writers than you'll ever be.

Streg 2012-01-14 01:23

that's because people don't check that forum regurarly, like the mbn. I'm sure that a private section on this forum would work. Perhaps even starting again from my post (the one before rex_hollywood's) could help. The new story is a little too hard already, and nobody wants to take a big responsability so soon. What do you guys say?

if anyone wants to give it a try - http://attic.fishos.cc/collabfic/sho...hp?p=11#post11
registration is very quick, you don't even need to check your mail

ChaosFish 2012-01-14 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anakin (Post 411947)
well well well. the nerve of some people.
you all started bitching and moaning about how i and rex_hollywood supposedly spoiled your little story, but when you get the chance to write one without us "interfering", what happens? nobody posts!

the truth is, rex_hollywood and i are better writers than you'll ever be.

It's a secret so don't tell anyone, but the point of the new one not that you won't be able to interfere but that people won't be able to complain. :) I like bizarre/comic storylines. Now there's no need to think twice before you post since you can't possibly ruin it for anyone else.

It's a shame people are wary of going outside the MBN for a sec... like stregman said it's a quick registration and there's no email confirmation. Personally I'm not in a "writing mood" lately so I don't think I can contribute at the moment...

Reek 2012-01-14 11:17

hmm...ok.
but i still think the new one should feature a dildo.
which is orange and shaped like a carrot.

ChaosFish 2012-01-14 16:05

Feel free. There will be no censorship.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:38.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, the Magicball Network