the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Fan Art (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   SGK's Homage to the Pistolaser! (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17070)

SpaceGuitarist 2013-06-05 18:10

SGK's Homage to the Pistolaser!

1 Attachment(s)
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been patiently working on this for quite some time. At last, it is done.

I present thee a portrayal of the magnificent, the one-and-only, Pistolaser of Zarnon. But not only that, the character who's wielding it is perhaps one of the most overlooked from LBA 2: the wannie dissident, whose back is the only visible thing in-game.

Enjoy. |)

Spoiler:

And here are some reference images:

Spoiler:

PS: If you hover the image over a background, you'll notice that the crystal is transparent! :x

Lupin 2013-06-05 18:28

Great!

I love the way you extrapolated from the low-detail models of the game, while preserving the same style. The result remains quite LBAish! :)

You have to keep doing more of this!

That makes me think: what's exactly the use for the crystal in the pistol, I mean, how does it work? How do you get something throwable out of a hard block of matter?

SpaceGuitarist 2013-06-05 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Link (Post 441011)
That makes me think: what's exactly the use for the crystal in the pistol, I mean, how does it work? How do you get something throwable out of a hard block of matter?

I dunno, but apparently crystals and such are used in lasers within our current technology, use the word find function to highlight the word "crystal" here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser . :)

Kobold 2013-06-05 19:08

What?

Nice work, SGK!... uhm ... SGT?

Twinsan 2013-06-05 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Link (Post 441018)
WTF? Is it because you hate the pistolaser, or you have a policy to only praise Zee's art?

the former.

Twinsan 2013-06-05 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 441020)
Twinsan, I've reported your post. It is utterly useless and uncalled for.

I don't know if you are calling my drawing a pile of shit, in which case you should look at your own "drawings" first. If you are referring to my post where I said crystals are possibly used in lasers, that's also irrelevant because I'm just providing an offtopic, secondary subject for speculation and you should take some time to comment on the drawing instead - also use the quote function so people know what you're talking about.

Whichever is the case, it is plain rude, and you're just being an ass, so please just GTFO and let others enjoy my art, thanks. :tup:

My drawings are shit, they are indeed rather poor, but in this case I was referring to the pistol laser.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-06-05 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinsan (Post 441021)
My drawings are shit, they are indeed rather poor, but in this case I was referring to the pistol laser.

Yeah well but this is not a popularity contest about the pistol, just comment on the wannie then, try to find something you love, not hate. :)

Twinsan 2013-06-05 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 441022)
Yeah well but this is not a popularity contest about the pistol, just comment on the wannie then, try to find something you love, not hate. :)

One is sorry, I am in a neutral state of mind, it's hard to explain, but because I am in a state of mind I am experiencing no emotions, but act out on the emotions of others. So for some reason or another, I have been acting out real aggressive like towards everyone for no real reason. Unfortunately it means someone I know is feeling this way and i find myself acting out on it.

I will take my punishment and I apologies for acting out.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-06-05 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinsan (Post 441023)
One is sorry, I am in a neutral state of mind, it's hard to explain, but because I am in a state of mind I am experiencing no emotions, but act out on the emotions of others. So for some reason or another, I have been acting out real aggressive like towards everyone for no real reason. Unfortunately it means someone I know is feeling this way and i find myself acting out on it.

I will take my punishment and I apologies for acting out.

Ok, fine, apologies accepted. :)

Now I just have to wait a mod to come to clean these posts up... :tup:

Styx 2013-06-05 20:03

Ok, if I could draw I'd make a counterpart drawing for the sabre, but I gotta say I really like your drawing. And tbh in real life i would choose that kick ass pistol and fire some green bullets of awesome

Streg 2013-06-05 20:07

great work, SGK. :)

Zee 2013-06-05 20:24

You have a very unique style to your art. Me likes :)

Polaris 2013-06-05 20:25

I like how the two are mashed together, the CGI-looking pistol and the handdrawing of the wannie, the whole still being of the same tone.

Oh, and that wannie has teeth like that ?! We only see him from behind, he has such a low voice, and it turns out he looks so childish :p

SpaceGuitarist 2013-06-05 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 441040)
Oh, and that wannie has teeth like that ?! We only see him from behind, he has such a low voice, and it turns out he looks so childish :p

Prior to making this illustration I've studied several wannies. This kind of teeth is inerent to everyone of this species, and therefore not something associated with looking childish. :)

Ofcourse, making it vegetarian-like teeth instead of canine fangs was my choice, based on the fact they eat things like firefly tarts and cakes (at the end of game).

Necdilzor 2013-06-05 21:36

Hey awesome drawing SGK! I'm impressed. That's the best drawing about the pistolaser. I like the fact that you choose to draw a wannie instead of Twinsen.

To be honest, I was expecting one of your magical GIFs :p

Now I imagine Solid Snake wielding the pistolaser... totally unrelated.

This is no piece of crap. Original and awesome :D

marcosmapf 2013-06-05 21:59

Wow great work man! This looks realy awesome! Are you planning on drawing other things later on?

ChaosFish 2013-06-05 22:27

Holy shit, that's fantastic!! If there are gonna be Wannies in LBA3 Fred should see this asap. Or has he already?

SpaceGuitarist 2013-06-05 22:36

:eek: By the powers of Sendell, it's fishos!
What an honour to have you emerge from the deep waters of the mediterranean sea to post here! :D:D:D
Thanks. And nope, I think Fred still haven't seen.

ChaosFish 2013-06-05 22:40

YES! :pipetrick:

Fred should totally see this, he'll hire you instantly.

Lupin 2013-06-06 12:10

So, what brings you back Fishos?
SGK: What technique did you use for this?

SpaceGuitarist 2013-06-07 05:21

Thanks e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e!
All comments are appreciated. :x

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobold (Post 441017)
Nice work, SGK!... uhm ... SGT?

SGK or SG are fine. |)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necdilzor
I like the fact that you choose to draw a wannie instead of Twinsen.

Yep, that was precisely the point: to draw something that noone has ever drawn before! There are enough Twinsen's and magic balls I think. Let the unknown, the underrated, the overlooked, the minorities of LBA rise, I say! }-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcosmapf (Post 441077)
Are you planning on drawing other things later on?

Not so soon.

But if anyone has suggestions or ideas of other unusual LBA characters and items that never get any attention for me to draw, they're welcome. :tup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Link (Post 441236)
What technique did you use for this?

It's a blend of several techniques.

A mechanical pencil for the first sketches and structure, then watercolour pencils for the coloring; In the computer I create a hand-drawn vector mesh for the pistol structure based upon the original 3D model (thanks Battler for helping in adapting yaz0r's model viewer to view objects!), which is later digitally painted together with the scanned image, and then after all pieces are combined there's a series of minor corrections to make, as well as using several layers to add more details, pasting up of textures, and finally, to have that magic fusion and polish up I add some final touches (which are secret, haha). ;)

pitiflake 2013-07-10 16:30

I like the way you did your colors. Was it all made with Photoshop?

Darkflame 2013-07-10 18:03

Absolutely Awesome Stuff!

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-11 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitiflake (Post 443554)
I like the way you did your colors. Was it all made with Photoshop?

Hmm... no. :) Watercolour pencils primarily then after scanned retouches in Corel software.

pitiflake 2013-07-12 13:17

Ok, I got it all wrong then :)
Nice result anyway !