the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   News (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Prequengine Beta v0.1.1 win32 (updated 13.02.2010) (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=15205)

xesf 2010-01-26 01:25

Prequengine Beta v0.1.1 win32 (updated 13.02.2010)

Update 13.02.2010:
- See post #29 for last update.

Hey guys,

Here's the first beta version of Prequengine (the TwinEngine based engine for LBA Prequel and all modification games).

Since this is still a beta version, there's still a lot of things to be done and to implement and also you should get some bugs while playing.
I would need your help to test this engine, like we all did with LbaWin :).
So, please, if you find any bug/crash etc., please report at http://code.google.com/p/prequengine/issues/list

This version only work for 1 single SavedGame named S9999.LBA (inside Save folder). So choosing "New game" will create a new saved game and "Continue game" will continue this S9999.LBA saved game.

Only a windows version is available now. I will try to make some linux package later. Anyway, the source is available to public and anyone can compile it under linux.

I've attached the download and it contains:

save\\
AUTHORS
COPYING
lba.cfg
midi_mi_win.hqr
prequengine_v0.1.0.exe
README
SDL.dll
SDL_mixer.dll

Don't forget to put this in main LBA folder like you do with LbaWin.
I'm waiting all your feedbacks.

Edited: I attached a new file. Now the zip file don't include any saved game that can cause a override in the previous saved games.

Darkflame 2010-01-26 11:46

Afraid it just crashs after the starting logos for me (ie, before the menu) :(
I just unpacked it all to my LBAWin folder (which still works fine).

Kobold 2010-01-26 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 393232)
Afraid it just crashs after the starting logos for me (ie, before the menu) :(
I just unpacked it all to my LBAWin folder (which still works fine).

Same for me.
I do have the CD inserted.

leoboe 2010-01-26 15:12

I put everything in my ordinary LBA1-folder (not LBAWin) and everything works fine until I pass the 2 doors in the citadel after that the game simply crashes.

xesf 2010-01-26 22:41

Can you guys send me the stdout.txt files???
What are you system specs.

Thanks for trying and sorry for those crashes.

Darkflame 2010-01-26 22:55

Quote:

Prequengine v0.1.0
(c)2008 The Prequel Engine dev-team. Refer to AUTHORS file for further details.
Released under the terms of the GNU GPL license version 2 (or, at your opinion, any later). See COPYING file.

The original Little Big Adventure game is:
(c)1994 by Adeline Software International, All Rights Reserved.

Initialising SDL device. Please wait...
Initialising Sound device. Please wait...

Assuming that it is LBA cd... Z:\

HQR: fla//flasamp.hqr can't be found !

Z: ? My CD drive is E:

I tried it on Windows2000sp4, AMD 64X2 4200, 2GB ram.
I can restart and try on XP.

leoboe 2010-01-26 23:08

I tried it again and it seems that the game crashes whenever it comes to make some blocks invisible.
here's the stdout.txt
Spoiler:
Prequengine v0.1.0
(c)2008 The Prequel Engine dev-team. Refer to AUTHORS file for further details.
Released under the terms of the GNU GPL license version 2 (or, at your opinion, any later). See COPYING file.

The original Little Big Adventure game is:
(c)1994 by Adeline Software International, All Rights Reserved.

Initialising SDL device. Please wait...
Initialising Sound device. Please wait...

Assuming that it is LBA cd... E:\

Control mode [kRANDOM] not implemented

running
WinXP-Sp3
Core2Duo 2,66
3GB-Ram
Geforce8800 GTS

xesf 2010-01-27 00:26

@DF: try copying fla folder to your disk

@loeboe: hmm dont have anu clue

@kobold: try to have the entire cd in hdd aswell

got to investigate more this issues

xesf 2010-01-27 22:14

Do you guys get it to run?

Kobold 2010-01-27 22:31

Yes it does work now.
Is Twinsen supposed to start out discreet in this version?

xesf 2010-01-27 22:37

For mistaken, I packed the zip file with a saved game inside. If you use that save by pressing "continue game" it will start in discrete mode since I was in discrete when saved that file. If you start a new one it won't happen.

Go to know its working for you. :)

Darkflame 2010-01-28 13:03

I copyed over the whole FLA folder and now it runs.....but it seems to start a new game even when I go continue :-/
(I get the whole intro sequence of lba1 then I end up in the jail as normal....in discrete mode, mind you).

I tried copying the zip's contents back and no difference.

Also, I cant close the game window by hitting the windows "x", I have to exit in game.

xesf 2010-01-28 16:58

DF, as I said to Kobold, the zip file contains a saved game that starts in prison and in Discrete mode. You probably replace your saved game when you put the zip content back to the folder.

The continue menu should load the S9999.LBA saved game under "Save" directory. You can try put a LbaWin save game there with that name so you can see it loading.

About the window close, its a bug in the engine. You indeed can't exit by hitting "X". Got to fix it for the next release.

Again, thanks for all your help ;)

Darkflame 2010-01-28 22:01

oh, well, in that case its working so perfectly its just like the original lba :)

Kobold 2010-01-28 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 393343)
oh, well, in that case its working so perfectly its just like the original lba :)

Don't start LBAWin.exe.
It's Prequengine.exe.
Yeah I made the same mistake at first. You can recognize the Prequengine version for having no voices, but looping music.

Darkflame 2010-01-28 22:28

nah, I was running the right exe.
But my speakers have been off :P

xesf 2010-01-30 00:39

Heheee... :)

I've already fixed some issues and will continue testing the game myself as well. Fixed issues can be found here.

naaina 2010-02-01 13:44

Superb work :-)

Compiled it and it works great. It crashes when I'm out of the prison talking to the bummer on the garbage heap. The rest is playable. Unfortunately the heart and key objects aren't appearing even if I can collect them. The holomap isn't still working too.

xesf 2010-02-01 16:12

Hope you've tried the last revision #130, since I mistankenly add few critical bugs in the previous revisions.

About crashing with the bummer in garbage heap I need to investigate, since I don't get it here.

The objects on windows have a little issue in a specific axis angle and don't know if its the same problem.

Yep, holomap isn't working yet, and may take some time do make it. Anyway, yesterday I add 2 missing commands that set the Holomap flags useful for saved games and also if you want to use this saves in other LBA versions (original or LbaWin).

Thanks for your help ;)

naaina 2010-02-01 19:09

Yes, I tested r130. What do you think when I start to code some stuff on the menu? (Refactoring it, adding volume controls and probably keyboard controlls etc.)?

xesf 2010-02-01 19:11

Just found a Critical issue in the game which block us to continue playing game. I don't know yet the cause but it must be fixed in the next version so everyone could continue playing.

Also notice some strange behaviors in script processing that I need to investigate.

xesf 2010-02-01 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by naaina (Post 393488)
Yes, I tested r130. What do you think when I start to code some stuff on the menu? (Refactoring it, adding volume controls and probably keyboard controlls etc.)?

Its fine for me. There are indeed some things to finish in the menu. I'm not in my PC right now, but as soon as possible I'll send you some reversing informations I have that could help you reverse the missing parts.

Zink 2010-02-07 17:05

I'm impressed it works so well, good work :). I have tried it and it crashed in the prison at the room with a guard in the middle (the one who says "good day fellow nurse"). I can give you more details at what I was doing exactly at the time. Anyway, if it's not much problem, you could compile windows versions too, I think many people would like to participate in beta-testing :).

xesf 2010-02-07 20:46

Thanks Zink.

Yeah, some more input will be appreciate. It seams some times I've got a crash due to midi player, but I don't have sure yet.

You mean linux versions? There is 1 build available for linux 64bits only. You can get it here: http://code.google.com/p/prequengine/downloads/list

Anyway, I plan with the next release to make some more linux ports, specially for ubuntu users.

I may be able to release another version soon. I've fix a lot of important things already, some of them where blocking the player to finish the game. Anyway, I still have some issues with scripts to fix first.

Will be great if people could actually try playing the entire game and reporting every issue.

Zink 2010-02-08 08:04

Ok, I have submitted a new bug for it with more details.

I mean windows (I have linux too, but I'm not very familiar with it yet). The only compiled version is 0.1.0, and I saw you have takled about an r130 version above.