the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   SpeedRunning (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Alone in the Dark - Playthrough (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17939)

gravel22 2016-05-25 06:01

Alone in the Dark - Playthrough

Hi guys, due to the last stream I found out Alone in the Dark has been create by Frédérick Raynald so I though I should play these games for the first time in my life! (Already played the third one but haven't passed the first scene, I was young and it was too hard).

So I bought the package for 6$ on GOG. The first opus is so good and well made for a 1992 game, it's dead awesome. I've been so much triggered by it I've completed it completely on stream. You can watch my playthrough here.

https://www.twitch.tv/freemanqc/v/68470400

I'm thinking of speed running it also, but before I may finish the second and third one! If you guys are interested it's on my stream (link in signature).

:zombie:

Kasia 2016-05-25 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravel22 (Post 453403)
I found out Alone in the Dark has been create by Frédérick Raynal (...)
So I bought the package for 6$ on GOG. The first opus is so good and well made for a 1992 game, it's dead awesome.
(...)
I'm thinking of speed running it also, but before I may finish the second and third one!

Just remember that only the first one was created by Fred. The sequels didn't follow the same spirit, they were way more action-based.

Styx 2016-05-25 11:14

you finished it all already! wow it must have been shorter that i thought

gravel22 2016-05-25 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasia (Post 453406)
Just remember that only the first one was created by Fred. The sequels didn't follow the same spirit, they were way more action-based.

That's good to know :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx (Post 453407)
you finished it all already! wow it must have been shorter that i thought

Yeah man I played like 8-9 hours and gone through it :)

Polaris 2016-05-26 11:36

I need to set it up on my Shield so I can play it... Could you describe which keys are used and to what end ?

Styx 2016-05-26 12:03

On a related note, is this what led fred to success and gave him the rep to make lba?

Kasia 2016-05-26 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx (Post 453441)
On a related note, is this what led fred to success and gave him the rep to make lba?

Yeah, sort of. :) It was his first big game, first commercial success. Had it not been so positively received, I'm sure Fred would have had more difficulties finding a sponsor for his new studio (= Adeline).

Darkflame 2016-05-26 14:13

Indeed.
It also highlighted the dumb treatment of their team by their publisher.
Alone in the Dark was one of the worlds first (perspective, solid) 3d games. It set the template for the survival horror genre for decades. It wasn't just a hit - it showed something pretty darn new for the time.
Obviously, the publisher wanted a sequal. But rather then give them time to develop their tech further and make a proper sequal, the publisher wanted a quick as possible game pushed out in the same engine.
For that reason, a different team ended up working on AitD.

I honestly think Alone in the Dark could have been as successful as Resident EVil, maybe more so, if the Adeline team were allowed to make a proper sequal.

Styx 2016-05-26 14:59

But then maybe lba would never have been made and non of us would be here because this site wouldnt exist and nobody would be looking forward to lba3 and the world would have been a different place and half life 3 would be confirmed

gravel22 2016-05-26 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 453447)
Indeed.
It also highlighted the dumb treatment of their team by their publisher.
Alone in the Dark was one of the worlds first (perspective, solid) 3d games. It set the template for the survival horror genre for decades. It wasn't just a hit - it showed something pretty darn new for the time.
Obviously, the publisher wanted a sequal. But rather then give them time to develop their tech further and make a proper sequal, the publisher wanted a quick as possible game pushed out in the same engine.
For that reason, a different team ended up working on AitD.

I honestly think Alone in the Dark could have been as successful as Resident EVil, maybe more so, if the Adeline team were allowed to make a proper sequal.

:tup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx (Post 453451)
But then maybe lba would never have been made and non of us would be here because this site wouldnt exist and nobody would be looking forward to lba3 and the world would have been a different place and half life 3 would be confirmed

Hahaha!

Darkflame 2016-05-26 18:37

Quote:

True.
Also, somehow, the hindenburg never blew up and we all travel about in dirigibles. Because thats how parallel universes work

Polaris 2016-05-26 22:01

Quote:

THE HORROR :zombie:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 453465)
True.
Also, somehow, the hindenburg never blew up and we all travel about in dirigibles. Because thats how parallel universes work

That makes it better, but I still prefer the universe where I know you guys :)

Darkflame 2016-05-27 13:40

Dont worry we are all Large Balloon Aficionados and on the Magnificent Balloon Network forum.

Styx 2016-05-27 15:40

"Braaaavo sir, you have won-a these magnifico baloons-a"
Spoiler:

gravel22 2016-05-27 17:31

Ok I've streamed Alone in the Dark 2 and it ****** sucks. Seriously what is this kind of game? Horror? Hopefully the third one seems far better.

Styx 2016-05-27 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravel22 (Post 453489)
Ok I've streamed Alone in the Dark 2 and it ****** sucks. Seriously what is this kind of game? Horror? Hopefully the third one seems far better.

Really is it very bad? They couldnt match the skill of the great fred:cool:

gravel22 2016-05-27 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx (Post 453490)
Really is it very bad? They couldnt match the skill of the great fred:cool:

The combination of the word "very" and "bad" is far away to describe how horrible was the game.

I may try it again but the beginning is a pain believe me.

Styx 2016-05-28 01:01

BTW just to be annoying considering the other thread about rearranging the forums, the thread should be in offtopic. Mods should move it :p

gravel22 2016-05-28 01:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx (Post 453499)
BTW just to be annoying considering the other thread about rearranging the forums, the thread should be in offtopic. Mods should move it :p

:lol::lol::lol:

I think you mean General.

Darkflame 2016-05-28 02:57

If/when we have a forum for letsplays I think this thread would be moved there.

gravel22 2016-05-28 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkflame (Post 453501)
if/when we have a forum for letsplays i think this thread would be moved there.

+1 :)

gravel22 2016-06-23 03:08

I've forgot to write here about Alone in the Dark 3 I almost completed on stream.

Well the third one is way better than the second one imo. I like the western thing, it gives a really cool atmosphere. The game is really good in term of graphics, gameplay is correct for the time but could have been improved more as it's almost the same as the first one...

The thing I hated about it is all the impossible puzzles. I found some of them too much hard. I basically spent a lot of time in the walkthrough back to the game and vice versa. These too hard puzzles made me obligated to get in the walkthrough and guess what? It breaks the atmosphere.

Also I saved at a bad place just before the last scene which made the game impossible to complete. So yes I almost beat that game, but yeah... I'll never see the endings haha.

I would say the best is definitely the first one. There's too much nice stuff in it like the gramophone you can play vinyls everywhere!

You can see my past broadcast here:
https://www.twitch.tv/freemanqc/manager/past_broadcasts

MevX 2016-06-23 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravel22 (Post 453844)

The link leads to a permission error, this one should work https://www.twitch.tv/freemanqc/profile

gravel22 2016-06-23 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by MevX (Post 453845)
The link leads to a permission error, this one should work https://www.twitch.tv/freemanqc/profile

Thanks man! I've shared my personnal link haha :lol: