the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   News (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   GOG.com re-releases Little Big Adventure (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=15997)

Renesans 2011-10-13 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobold (Post 408605)
I'm pretty sure Didier Chanfrey had a part to do with it though, and he's listed as the "company" for the game right?

He apparently created a company named "Didier Chanfray SARL" to acquire the rights.

Kobold 2011-10-13 15:44

SARL is just a French term for a company form, like "Ltd." and "Inc."

ChaosFish 2011-10-13 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 408602)
Not if that publisher is responsible for many years of enjoyment far outseeding the price you originaly paid for the game.

By "publisher" I was referring to gog.com
And sorry to say, but I don't want Didier to sell this either. If I made it, and got no money for it, then it's free. LBA wasn't *that* good. You should be careful of getting too religious about stuff...

Renesans 2011-10-13 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobold (Post 408609)
SARL is just a French term for a company form, like "Ltd." and "Inc."

Yeah, I know, I only wanted to point out that there's a real company with this name. (source)

Darkflame 2011-10-13 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 408610)
By "publisher" I was referring to gog.com
And sorry to say, but I don't want Didier to sell this either. If I made it, and got no money for it, then it's free. LBA wasn't *that* good. You should be careful of getting too religious about stuff...

Not religious, just logical. If I get a few hundred hours enjoyment from something, its worth more then if I get, say, 10.

Then you gota factor in the extra time spent making it work on modern Pc's via LBAWin, which S├ębastien Viannay did for free too. (thats probably worth more then a translations worth of effort, he didnt do it for personal gain, he did it for us)

GoG, meanwhile, while deserving vastly less, still is responsible for making the game avaliable to a new audience - both advertising, fixing, hosting, and dealing with the buracracy craft side of things. Complaints about the music they dealt with very quickly - meaning they had someone monitoring forums and ready to alter the downloads. All take effort and thus deserve some compansation for. (not to mention the money helps go to support new release's)

Your of course free to not want any contributions you made to be used for anything you like. Thats your right as a creator.

But it strikes me as being rather chilidish to say you don't want any translations (which are freely avaliable elsewhere) to be put with a game being officialy sold by the games creators.

Your not going to get money in either case, but at least with the translations on GoG it makes it easy for more people to enjoy LBA if it isnt in their native toung - and that benifits us as it increase's sales and gives us more chance to see more games by the Adeline team.

I am of course happy for my Swede (which also took months of effort) to be included with anything. I dont think its wrothy - but as long as they didn't demand an "exclusive" rights to be the only place to download it, Id be happy for it as an extra.

Jasiek 2011-10-13 20:24

He could get a free copy for the translation.

Darkflame 2011-10-13 20:45

or that.

Kobold 2011-10-13 22:22

We should update the troubleshooting guide. In the part where we mention we don't support illegally downloaded copies, we could add a link to GOG. Also, the links to the LBA Win website are broken, it doesn't seem to be registered anymore. :(

Darkflame 2011-10-13 22:27

We should update that indeed.
Monitering the GoG forums for GoG-specific problems.

LBA2 is coming soon too, so we probably have updates for that one to add too.

so much to do!

Kobold 2011-10-13 22:29

Only moderators CAN fix up the troubleshooting guide, so by "we" is did mean "you". :p

If they run LBA 2 with the Dosbox, they'll probably have less problems (no car bug, sound bug, etc. which are caused by FunnyFrog's patch). But I hope they get the music right.

ChaosFish 2011-10-13 22:31

Darkf - I think I've been misunderstood. I meant I'm not fine with it being sold. I'm ok with it being provided for free. That is, as long as they not say "if you buy LBA, you'll get a bonus translation" to help them with their sales, but rather "we included a collection of fan made translations". Maybe it sounds childish, but it's little details like that that sometimes make all the difference.

morshem 2011-10-13 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobold (Post 408675)
We should update the troubleshooting guide. In the part where we mention we don't support illegally downloaded copies, we could add a link to GOG. Also, the links to the LBA Win website are broken, it doesn't seem to be registered anymore. :(

Done (hope I got it right :p ).

On the same time I updated this post. Judging by the last line there, I guess everyone forgot that this post even exists :p .

Kobold 2011-10-13 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by morshem (Post 408684)
Done (hope I got it right :p ).

On the same time I updated this post. Judging by the last line there, I guess everyone forgot that this post even exists :p .

Lolo- remove the GameTz links, they are broken. Also, Holy Crap - LBA 2 for $100.

Darkflame 2011-10-13 22:54

Quote:

Only moderators CAN fix up the troubleshooting guide, so by "we" is did mean "you".
Yeah, I know.
Was hoping Wacko to show up first :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 408679)
Darkf - I think I've been misunderstood. I meant I'm not fine with it being sold. I'm ok with it being provided for free. That is, as long as they not say "if you buy LBA, you'll get a bonus translation" to help them with their sales, but rather "we included a collection of fan made translations". Maybe it sounds childish, but it's little details like that that sometimes make all the difference.

Fair enough.
I certainly wouldn't consider the translations bonus content - if you need them to understand the game they are pretty essential :lol:

Maliavot 2011-10-14 17:01

I bought it. It does not matter that my internet connection is too poor to download it...

Archas 2011-10-15 23:07

How to install LBAWIN for the version of LBA(GOG) ? ( to avoid being hurt by bumping on the walls )

Zink 2011-10-18 14:28

In the old thread (of April Fool's joke) I found two very interesting posts:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightwing (Post 375646)
Are System Shock and Planescape on the GOG yet? Because if they're not, a game like LBA won't be for sure.

Planescape already is on GOG, but System Shock is still not!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 382267)
yeah, me too.
If GOG did decide to sale it one day though, I think as a forum we should club together and give them some extra materials as bonus items for people downloading. (GOG normaly supplys Wallpapers and Music with games bought, we could give them all sorts of other things too :P)

Unfortunetely, they did not ask :D.

Darkflame 2011-10-18 15:56

True, but I think any owners of creative content here should purhapes post on the GoG board some sort of "official permission granted" so that GoG knows they can use it in future if they want.

Twinsan 2011-10-18 18:53

I have 2 mint condition LBA1's (ps1 and pc) and near mint LBA2, but i am definitely getting this lil beauty.

Dino-Fly 2011-10-19 09:50

Little bit delayed in typing this now, just wanna say whoop to all of this, it's a step in the right direction for LBA :)

Zink 2011-10-22 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 408927)
True, but I think any owners of creative content here should purhapes post on the GoG board some sort of "official permission granted" so that GoG knows they can use it in future if they want.

I would happily do that, but my Polish translation (9 years old!) is quite bad, as were my English skills that time :D.

I don't think they would include these anyway. It seems that the game has not been modified for the release, so adding the translations would require some additional work (switching/modifying HQR files).

Does anyone have a problem with the included DOSBox configurator (Graphic mode setup)? When I want to save my changes it says that the game is not installed (?). May that is because I did not installed it in the default directory.

Jasiek 2011-10-22 13:28

I had that when installing under wine on Ubuntu...

Just change all your settings in the dosbox.conf file.

Neko 2011-10-22 13:40

I just bought the two games, wanna get beyong good and evil next. never played it....

Quetch 2011-10-22 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 409106)
I just bought the two games, wanna get beyong good and evil next. never played it....

u don't know what ur missing then :) and I gotta thank Jasiek for that :D

Streg 2011-10-22 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 409106)

it's discounted till this week end... I'd buy it asap ;) It's the best game you MBN guys ever suggested me :P