the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Just received my new boxed copy of Relentless today (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17127)

Battler 2013-06-30 20:05

Then the one I found in the torrent is good.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-01 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 443106)
Dude, its 2013. If you hear of a game you can Google it.

I disagree.

My point was aimed at everyone who DOES NOT know or heard about the game before and would casually buy a game just because it's cheap and eventually find out it's awesome. Alas, if you guys plan to give it away to a friend or someone one day, then fine. As long as you don't keep it to yourself forever...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 443106)
By keeping it sealed you are protecting it for future generations.

I disagree again.

For future generations, we have the GOG version which will probably work a lot better, and also is a pack of data. Who knows if in the future we'll even have CD readers? Unless you plan to keep a CD drive as well with the box. :lol:

marcosmapf 2013-07-02 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 443168)
Who knows if in the future we'll even have CD readers? Unless you plan to keep a CD drive as well with the box. :lol:

Who knows if in the future we will even have GoG? Or Steam? (OK Steam was a joke, of course we will have):lol:

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-02 01:52

We won't need Gog if we have the files in our HDs. ;)

marcosmapf 2013-07-02 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 443200)
We won't need Gog if we have the files in our HDs. ;)

What if the computers (Or whatever we have in the future) change to some sort of new digital storage technology and we can't copy things from HDs or SDDs to it? ;)

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-02 02:00

Lol, I'm sure everyone will migrate their files to whichever new system there is as soon as technology progresses. Everyone's got important files to keep, be it personal or for business, so, these kind of technological improvements such as data storage are always made carefully and slowly. :)

marcosmapf 2013-07-02 02:06

That's not my point. I mean, what if the new storage system can't recognize the Gog files anymore? What if all the technology changes and those old files don't work anymore (after Gog is gone) on the new operational system? You won't be able to change the file extensions or how they work because you probably won't have enough knowledge about it.

This has become a Battle of Wits! A battle of arguments!

I suggest that we open new threads to debate every important batle of arguments in a game-like manner. We have one day to expose our arguments and discuss with each other, and then the other members of the forum can vote on whoever they think that had the best arguments.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-02 02:13

Then, I'm sure people will create emulators to read old files... :rolleyes:

Anyway, whatever the case, keeping a CD inside a box certaintly won't "preserve the game for future generations", and that was my point.

Darkflame 2013-07-02 02:42

Quote:

Anyway, whatever the case, keeping a CD inside a box certaintly won't "preserve the game for future generations",
But it will preserve it a heck of a lot better then opening it.
Assuming the game was printed on decent quality cd's, it should last decades at least.
Ideally, as I said, you want air-tight rooms and such. But even without that it should do well.

The worry about data formats being lost is worried about - but also well taken care of by others.

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 443168)
I disagree.

My point was aimed at everyone who DOES NOT know or heard about the game before and would casually buy a game just because it's cheap and eventually find out it's awesome.

Which you can do online very easily and cheaply. Hell, its almost more bother to open a box then it is to download.

Quote:

For future generations, we have the GOG version which will probably work a lot better, and also is a pack of data. Who knows if in the future we'll even have CD readers? Unless you plan to keep a CD drive as well with the box. :lol:
But the box,manual, et all is all part of the original historic value of the game.

The little leaflet about errors, the statements in the manual about their 3 principles. etc. These should be treasured.

It comes down to this;
Physically the game is degrade and get damaged. The box,manual and everything in there can never be replaced once lost.

Digitally there is 100% identical working copys of the game, and will be forever, for anyone that cares to try. The game will be copied digitaly, sold, and resold on all sorts of formats...hopefully forever.
But you have not remotely helped this process by using your CD copy.

Your swapping something irreplaceable for something very replaceable indeed.

The information and joy of the game can be had without destroying the limited physical copys of how games used to be sold.

Logan 2013-07-18 13:13

Why are there no pictures in this thread?

marcosmapf 2013-07-18 22:45

Because there is no need for images lol :D

Polaris 2013-07-19 12:22

No, I think he's right, we need a pic of that box :D

Renesans 2013-07-19 13:34

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go, guys! :)

SebZ 2013-07-19 14:29

i just spent about 10 minutes reading the back of the box :p

Jasiek 2013-07-19 16:22

I guess in case of LBA i could make an exception and keep it in the foil, however usually this sort of behaviour makes me think of old people and couches and lamp shades covered in foil for 40 years...

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-21 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SebZ (Post 443778)
i just spent about 10 minutes reading the back of the box :p

"Simply Amazing!" is it not... :p

xesf 2013-07-21 01:46

The box is really in great shape

marcosmapf 2013-07-21 03:28

My head hurts from turning it to read, but it was totally worth it.
Btw (I don't recall if anyone asked this before) but did you Buy it or got it gifted? And if you bought, how much did you pay? Must have cost some good money...

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-21 04:05

Btw, game boxes design back then was awesome. The text, fonts, layout, colors... me likes. You really feel like buying it.