the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Just received my new boxed copy of Relentless today (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17127)

Renesans 2013-06-28 17:49

Just received my new boxed copy of Relentless today
 
As the title says. :) I'm so happy!
It's still in shrinkwrap. Should I open it?

Darkflame 2013-06-28 18:22

nope. Download a new copy from gog, then put your boxed copy in a sealed air-tight vault :D

xesf 2013-06-28 18:59

Don't do it.
I already did in the past and I'm really regret from it.

marcosmapf 2013-06-28 19:18

Of course not. Keep it as a treasure, and buy the online version from gog :p

xesf 2013-06-28 19:26

If you really want an exact image of your CD, let me know what version you have and I can produce an image from my opened CDs.

Renesans 2013-06-28 20:02

Thanks for the answers. I've already bought it from GOG, so I'll keep it sealed then for now. :)

Alexfont, if you could send me a bin/cue version, it'd be cool. Just make sure you don't use any programs which "touch" the image (like Nero).

edit: it's US version (Publisher's Choice)

xesf 2013-06-28 20:07

Sure I can make it. What version do you want, the European?

Renesans 2013-06-28 20:08

Well, my disc is the American version... :)

xesf 2013-06-28 20:17

No problem. I will get back to you by PM as soon as possible with that.

Renesans 2013-06-28 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexfont (Post 442985)
No problem. I will get back to you by PM as soon as possible with that.

Thanks! For some reason, I'm really fond of original untouched disc images... :p

xesf 2013-06-28 21:58

Just notice don't have any tool for that, do you recommend any?

I have some other images here in other formats (img, cue, sub) but not bin.

Renesans 2013-06-28 22:42

Well, if you're using Windows, I recommend ImgBurn, it's free and can create bin/cue images.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-06-28 22:58

:?

I'm sorry, I don't understand:

Why would you buy something to keep it sealed inside the box and never use it?
If you were a collector of ornamental artifacts, that is something; but this is a game, what use is there for it like this?
Just because something is rare, does it mean it's a collectible? even for software?

</philosophy moment>

Kobold 2013-06-28 23:37

I don't think the concept of a "sealed product" being worth more than a regular one isn't one that can be easily explained by using the methods of reason. :p It's an emotional thing.

xesf 2013-06-29 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renesans (Post 442995)
Well, if you're using Windows, I recommend ImgBurn, it's free and can create bin/cue images.

Creating right now, the tool seams great.

Darkflame 2013-06-29 01:16

Quote:

Just because something is rare, does it mean it's a collectible? even for software?
I'd say Yes, in principle.
Although I dont know if LBA is rare enough.

marcosmapf 2013-06-29 18:21

Gog LBA isn't rare, but if he has the original CD version of the games then yes, its pretty rare (at least in my country)
Its not Expensive, but its hard to find it around here =/

Polaris 2013-06-29 20:10

Keeping it sealed is just... I don't know, it's considering the object for something it is not... Respect the CD, make it do what it does best, open it up and play the HECK out of it !!
:D

xesf 2013-06-29 20:40

ImgBurn doesn't recognize LBA2 CDs. For instance, I thought all of them were broken... ufff!!!

You made me backup every single CD, heheheee!!

moothead 2013-06-29 22:25

This just reminds me of the time I missed out on a sealed copy of LBA2 because eBay logged me out at the last minute :(. I believe Proto-pack on here got it instead.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-06-30 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 443063)
Keeping it sealed is just... I don't know, it's considering the object for something it is not... Respect the CD, make it do what it does best, open it up and play the HECK out of it !!
:D

^ This is my opinion.

The CD will feel sad, locked in it's sad dark box, without ever hearing the happy laughter of kids having fun with it, which is the purpose of it's existance.

By keeping copies to yourself, all you have actually done is prevent someone, somewhere, from having the pleasure and joy of playing LBA. Maybe the person never heard about the game, wouldn't ever find it on GoG, maybe it's a grandpa looking for a gift for his grandchildren. I dunno. This is just a silly example, but fact is, extra copies of LBA being held by people who already own LBA and have no intention of giving these copies as gifts to somebody, are useless, and it's actually sad they'll be kept hidden from the world forever, in some room. :?

xesf 2013-06-30 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 443093)
This is just a silly example, but fact is, extra copies of LBA being held by people who already own LBA and have no intention of giving these copies as gifts to somebody, are useless, and it's actually sad they'll be kept hidden from the world forever, in some room. :?

Now, think if the person selling the game doesn't get a buyer, what he/she can do with that bargain? I a lot of people put things in trash and they don't need them.

Anyway, I have a lot of versions of LBA. My point was to have 1 from each version, and also bought bargains that weren't bit before.

I have some copies here that I'm waiting the right time to give them here ;)

Darkflame 2013-06-30 13:56

Quote:

By keeping copies to yourself, all you have actually done is prevent someone, somewhere, from having the pleasure and joy of playing LBA.
Dude, its 2013. If you hear of a game you can Google it.

By keeping it sealed you are protecting it for future generations.

Battler 2013-06-30 18:42

- alexfont: Do you happen to have the Australia/New Zealand/Oceania version of LBA 2? Or maybe the Japanese version? I'm missing both of these.
Also a proper copy of the US version of LBA 1, mine had the wrong volume label, and the one I recently found on a torrent has the game folder named LBA, while I think it should be RELENT (the files are US though).

Renesans 2013-06-30 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battler (Post 443116)
Also a proper copy of the US version of LBA 1, mine had the wrong volume label, and the one I recently found on a torrent has the game folder named LBA, while I think it should be RELENT (the files are US though).

The folder is named LBA in alexfont's US version.

Battler 2013-06-30 20:05

Then the one I found in the torrent is good.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-01 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 443106)
Dude, its 2013. If you hear of a game you can Google it.

I disagree.

My point was aimed at everyone who DOES NOT know or heard about the game before and would casually buy a game just because it's cheap and eventually find out it's awesome. Alas, if you guys plan to give it away to a friend or someone one day, then fine. As long as you don't keep it to yourself forever...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 443106)
By keeping it sealed you are protecting it for future generations.

I disagree again.

For future generations, we have the GOG version which will probably work a lot better, and also is a pack of data. Who knows if in the future we'll even have CD readers? Unless you plan to keep a CD drive as well with the box. :lol:

marcosmapf 2013-07-02 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 443168)
Who knows if in the future we'll even have CD readers? Unless you plan to keep a CD drive as well with the box. :lol:

Who knows if in the future we will even have GoG? Or Steam? (OK Steam was a joke, of course we will have):lol:

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-02 01:52

We won't need Gog if we have the files in our HDs. ;)

marcosmapf 2013-07-02 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 443200)
We won't need Gog if we have the files in our HDs. ;)

What if the computers (Or whatever we have in the future) change to some sort of new digital storage technology and we can't copy things from HDs or SDDs to it? ;)

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-02 02:00

Lol, I'm sure everyone will migrate their files to whichever new system there is as soon as technology progresses. Everyone's got important files to keep, be it personal or for business, so, these kind of technological improvements such as data storage are always made carefully and slowly. :)

marcosmapf 2013-07-02 02:06

That's not my point. I mean, what if the new storage system can't recognize the Gog files anymore? What if all the technology changes and those old files don't work anymore (after Gog is gone) on the new operational system? You won't be able to change the file extensions or how they work because you probably won't have enough knowledge about it.

This has become a Battle of Wits! A battle of arguments!

I suggest that we open new threads to debate every important batle of arguments in a game-like manner. We have one day to expose our arguments and discuss with each other, and then the other members of the forum can vote on whoever they think that had the best arguments.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-02 02:13

Then, I'm sure people will create emulators to read old files... :rolleyes:

Anyway, whatever the case, keeping a CD inside a box certaintly won't "preserve the game for future generations", and that was my point.

Darkflame 2013-07-02 02:42

Quote:

Anyway, whatever the case, keeping a CD inside a box certaintly won't "preserve the game for future generations",
But it will preserve it a heck of a lot better then opening it.
Assuming the game was printed on decent quality cd's, it should last decades at least.
Ideally, as I said, you want air-tight rooms and such. But even without that it should do well.

The worry about data formats being lost is worried about - but also well taken care of by others.

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 443168)
I disagree.

My point was aimed at everyone who DOES NOT know or heard about the game before and would casually buy a game just because it's cheap and eventually find out it's awesome.

Which you can do online very easily and cheaply. Hell, its almost more bother to open a box then it is to download.

Quote:

For future generations, we have the GOG version which will probably work a lot better, and also is a pack of data. Who knows if in the future we'll even have CD readers? Unless you plan to keep a CD drive as well with the box. :lol:
But the box,manual, et all is all part of the original historic value of the game.

The little leaflet about errors, the statements in the manual about their 3 principles. etc. These should be treasured.

It comes down to this;
Physically the game is degrade and get damaged. The box,manual and everything in there can never be replaced once lost.

Digitally there is 100% identical working copys of the game, and will be forever, for anyone that cares to try. The game will be copied digitaly, sold, and resold on all sorts of formats...hopefully forever.
But you have not remotely helped this process by using your CD copy.

Your swapping something irreplaceable for something very replaceable indeed.


The information and joy of the game can be had without destroying the limited physical copys of how games used to be sold.

Logan 2013-07-18 13:13

Why are there no pictures in this thread?

marcosmapf 2013-07-18 22:45

Because there is no need for images lol :D

Polaris 2013-07-19 12:22

No, I think he's right, we need a pic of that box :D

Renesans 2013-07-19 13:34

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go, guys! :)

SebZ 2013-07-19 14:29

i just spent about 10 minutes reading the back of the box :p

Jasiek 2013-07-19 16:22

I guess in case of LBA i could make an exception and keep it in the foil, however usually this sort of behaviour makes me think of old people and couches and lamp shades covered in foil for 40 years...

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-21 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SebZ (Post 443778)
i just spent about 10 minutes reading the back of the box :p

"Simply Amazing!" is it not... :p

xesf 2013-07-21 01:46

The box is really in great shape

marcosmapf 2013-07-21 03:28

My head hurts from turning it to read, but it was totally worth it.
Btw (I don't recall if anyone asked this before) but did you Buy it or got it gifted? And if you bought, how much did you pay? Must have cost some good money...

SpaceGuitarist 2013-07-21 04:05

Btw, game boxes design back then was awesome. The text, fonts, layout, colors... me likes. You really feel like buying it.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:46.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, the Magicball Network