the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   The Relentless Movie project (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Proxima City (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=11140)

Bot13 2006-06-26 14:38

Proxima City

3 Attachment(s)
I thought to contribute a bit more to the RMP next days/weeks.
Just to show that I didn't forgot all of you guys, and that with a bit more help everything is going to be just fine with this project.
Just a bit more time and passion in your models should be the key to a quality movie :lol:

Anyway, pics!!1

Assassin 2006-06-26 14:42

Wow! Nice work Bot! :eek:

Did you do those patterns on the doors yourself? Looking great! Keep this up and we really will get a great movie! :D

Firephoenix 2006-06-26 14:48

Good template :cool:

Please just dont "cut" the scene that way, I guess actually to have a normal continuity the whole part Port+Baldino+museum+vehicles must be built together in that template. Then we'll see if we have to add external parts in teh field of vision, where we add details etc.

Bot13 2006-06-26 14:51

I'm making the scene as it is ingame. Then adding details, and merging the scene's together.
Maybe there could be a panorama as background, with some tree's, clouds, buildings (mountains/hills?).

Streg 2006-06-26 15:07

Very cool bot :)

Firephoenix 2006-06-26 15:07

Yep but you'd better not stick to the game. Because even with areas merged together, it might look really tiny, or too square...as long as we have the global structure of the island, you can enlarge it etc. But if you prefer so, we'll wait for all the areas before having a more general view of the island.:cool:

You're wll doing this under 3dsmax, btw ???

Bot13 2006-06-26 15:16

Yeah, all 3dsmax. :)
Currently installing Brazil, I hope that gives some nice results.

Firephoenix 2006-06-26 15:59

Hey take care, because others like me dont have brazil, so there would be lots of transfer problems if you use it. It'd be better if you textured your scene wih standard material, and if the final animator chose his renderer himself.

LukeNoNumbers 2006-06-26 18:52

:cool: Excellent work!

I think sticking to the 'square' layout is fine for the buildings - it adds to that sort of cold, rigid Funfrocky nature of the municipal buildings. The Temple of Bu, Sendell's well and so forth should be less isometric, but the more 'modern' structures are good with those square shapes. It also fits in with the 'straight lines versus swirls' design decision.

Is Baldino on Proxima? It might be more fun to see his wall normal at first, then he could crash through it on the proto pack, thus causing it to look the way it did in the game. It would be an appropriate introduction to that character.

However I'll try some designs of the exteriors of FF's headquarters (the fortresses can rise in the background above the other buildings quite dramatically), which are not shown in full in the game (we just see the front of most of them).

The question is whether the area beyond those shown in the game should be countryside or built up.

Firephoenix 2006-06-26 19:08

Well I dunno...do you remember the fortress we see in the video, when it explodes ? The building isnt very square, rather some long curved skyscrappers...so we should stick to that form anyway in the movie, shouldnt we ?

LukeNoNumbers 2006-06-26 19:14

Yes, that's a good point. But the Citadel's mainly made up of (slightly curved) boxes. The Fortress is so big that it could start off square at the bottom and become more curved as it reaches higher. Thise skyscraper bits are quite prominent so I agree that they should be let in there.

Jasiek 2006-06-26 19:29

Funfrocks Fortress is on Polar Island. There are no fortresses on Proxima and in Proxim City. Principal Island has a fortress/prison complex but it's also not that high. Those big structures are on Polar Island.

Cool model :D I like the door ornaments ;).

Bot13 2006-06-26 20:02

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, Jasiek. :)

The door ornaments are a few splines, mirrored over eachother until you can't see seperatie splines; only a symmetric pattern.

Anyway, you know almost all of my models are free for any use, and I kinda had LBA1R in the back of my head; so the walls/stairs/buildings are all quite lowpoly.
Only the doors and imported RMP models are high-poly.
This means this model is partly useable for LBA1R too, just that you know.

Attached: some progress, the outside of the museum is finished. I know, door is missing etc, but I'm tired. I did this modeling nonstop since this morning, and I think this much of modeling is enough for less then 10 hours in total.

Lightwing 2006-06-26 20:17

This is really super great. What kind of lighting are you using?

P.S. This is probably more useful to the LBA game fan projects. I don't even know if Proxima Island will make an appearance in the movie.

Firephoenix 2006-06-26 20:22

Well we dont have atm how the museum thingy will be treated, so a template scene is still good to take.

Bot13 2006-06-26 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightwing
This is really super great. What kind of lighting are you using?

P.S. This is probably more useful to the LBA game fan projects. I don't even know if Proxima Island will make an appearance in the movie.

Well if it's not going to make a big contribution to the rmp, I really wonder why it's at #9 priority of the grounds creation list anyway :)

Firephoenix 2006-06-26 20:46

Hum, could you email me the beta version of your model ? I know I'm etting paranoid, but there are always HDD crashes or people disappearing on this forum, so now that we have wel gotten exited on your images I'd like to have a little backup on my hdd ;)

Bot13 2006-06-26 21:03

Ok.. Emailadresplz..kthnxbye. :lol:

Assassin 2006-06-26 21:47

Wow, you work way faster than me man!

I only just got started on the Citadel ;).
If you are as good at texturing as you are modelling we have no problem at all.

Lightwing 2006-06-26 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bot13
Well if it's not going to make a big contribution to the rmp, I really wonder why it's at #9 priority of the grounds creation list anyway :)

Probably because that list was made ages ago before proper work on the script started.

Firephoenix 2006-06-26 22:31

PM sent

Well the priorities are outdated indeed, I dunno if we have to remake them all (who's willing to make me a list) or if we simple put that "those who plan to make an area just inform us so that we make sure about what's needed inside":cool:

LukeNoNumbers 2006-06-26 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasiek
Funfrocks Fortress is on Polar Island. There are no fortresses on Proxima and in Proxim City. Principal Island has a fortress/prison complex but it's also not that high. Those big structures are on Polar Island.

Indeed; that was just my mind going off on a tangent.:lol: But the PI fortress could be made more towering, for example. We don't really see the top in the game.

xesf 2006-06-26 23:08

Well done ;)
The city looks awesome, I like it!!!

Bot13 2006-06-27 19:11

2 Attachment(s)
Not much of an update, but I still want you all to know what updates come with the days.
It was more work than it seems though. A lot of refinements on the buildings, some things weren't placed correctly next to eachother, causing some small gaps which caused lightning errors etc.

Anyway, I placed some sandbags (those green things) for those fat soldiers, then I did some work on the wall next to it, which actually had another shape than I thought (look at the old renders for comparision).
I also did some work on the museum, which is finished now.

And offcourse the new area. Way from finished, but the basic shapes are there. :)

Bot13 2006-06-27 22:28

1 Attachment(s)
Update.
It's finished now. I'm doing some tweaking tomorrow, then I'll do baldino's area.
Then I'll start texturing, which shouldn't be such a problem. :)
Though my working speed is decreasing dramaticly. My pc (256mb ram, don't tell..) isn't enough for these amount of polygons.. It's running really slow, I can't really work at my own speed.
Anyway, I'll figure something out, my dad's pc should be enough to resume the work.