the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LBA Theme instruments (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17187)

Xerophthalmia 2013-08-07 10:55

LBA Theme instruments

Hi everyone!

I've long been wondering what kind of instruments are used in the original LBA score, especially the main theme. Most of it might be synthesized instead of using a real orchestra, but what would be the instruments real equivalent? The intro, chorus, bridge and so on.

Thanks in advance :-)

Cheers!

marcosmapf 2013-08-07 19:46

Oh god, I think the LBA main themes (LBA 1 and 2) are the best compositions of the games, so I'm realy looking forward to an answer to this thread :p

J McKalling 2013-08-07 19:57

I can't help you personally on this one, as I'm one of the programmers amongst us. But I think Jesse or SpaceGuitarist could help you regarding music.

Xerophthalmia 2013-08-08 10:57

Okay, maybe I should write one of them directly.

Polaris 2013-08-08 13:12

Hmm... I'll listen to it later and tell you, but I'm pretty sure there are violins.

Xerophthalmia 2013-08-08 13:36

Thanks a lot :-)

Polaris 2013-08-08 16:07

Here is what I could gather : something that ressembles the harpsichord ; flute ; at least two string instruments from the family of the violin, one certainly being the double bass, the other either the violin or a cello ; pizzicato on said string instrument (the same sound used when Twinsen walks in discrete mode) ; maybe electric guitar, but it could be the harpsichord aswell ; although I haven't heard much but probably oboe ; and drums, I can't identify which ones, I don't know the different drum types well enough.

Xerophthalmia 2013-08-08 16:46

Thanks! I always wondered about the intro. The other part also sounds like the oboe, so I bet you're right :-)

SpaceGuitarist 2013-08-09 18:56

Basically, instruments found in an orchestra. Everything was recorded using a keyboard and samples that emulated real life instruments, so, it is easy for one virtual instrument to sound similar to another instrument in real life other than that which it tried to emulate.

For LBA's Theme from LBA 2:

Intro and ending:
A kind of electric piano, synth pads, electric bass, drumkit.

Throughout:
Violins (sometimes played with pizzicato technique), cellos, oboe, clarinet (at 1:54), flutes (various kinds), drumkit, electric guitar, electric bass, ethnic percussion, unnamed synths.

J McKalling 2013-08-09 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 444797)
Basically, instruments found in an orchestra. Everything was recorded using a keyboard and samples that emulated real life instruments, so, it is easy for one virtual instrument to sound similar to another instrument in real life other than that which it tried to emulate.

Intro and ending:

Throughout:
Violins (sometimes played with pizzicato technique), cellos, oboe, clarinet (at 1:54), flutes (various kinds), drumkit, electric guitar, electric bass, ethnic percussion, unnamed synths.

You might consider editing your post rather than deleting it twice, right? :p

I knew you'd be able to help here though!
Didn't know about Polaris, great work from you too :p

SpaceGuitarist 2013-08-09 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by J McKalling (Post 444802)
You might consider editing your post rather than deleting it twice, right? :p

No becuase people often quote my posts before I finished editing and I hate that. :p

J McKalling 2013-08-09 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 444808)
No becuase people often quote my posts before I finished editing and I hate that. :p

Then at least there's the preview feature :rolleyes:
Not that I use it much.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-08-09 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by J McKalling (Post 444809)
Then at least there's the preview feature :rolleyes:
Not that I use it much.

Oh. True. Rarely use it. :lol:

J McKalling 2013-08-09 23:20

Maybe we should ask for a live preview while you write instead, but then also a forum migration, but then we'd loose the forum as it exists right now, all right then I'll just use the preview then...

Xerophthalmia 2013-08-12 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 444797)

Intro and ending:

Throughout:

Isn't it an oboe at 1:54 and not a clarinet? It sounds more nasally to me, or am I wrong?

SpaceGuitarist 2013-08-13 00:28

Could be. :)

leoboe 2013-08-13 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xerophthalmia (Post 444989)
Isn't it an oboe at 1:54 and not a clarinet? It sounds more nasally to me, or am I wrong?

From the sound and range it's more likely a "cor anglais" which is basically a lower Oboe but a bit less "nasally" or sharp than it's higher relative.
But anyway definitely no clarinet there although clarinet is used in the LBA2-Soundtrack e.g. in "Zeelich" or "the Empire".

SpaceGuitarist 2013-08-13 04:02

Considering they are all variations of a synth, there isn't much point in trying to define the exact real life instrument... you have to actually get one of these and play and see which sounds best. :tup:

leoboe 2013-08-13 20:09

That depends on which sound-library you are using.
I tried to write out the sheets for "The Empire" for a symphonic orchestra, that's why I know it's not an Oboe (the notes would be too low for a real Instrument).
But You're right, making these soundtracks with synthesizers is mostly trying until you find a nice sound.

SpaceGuitarist 2013-08-13 21:08

Still sounds like a clarinet to me, anyway. :p

Polaris 2013-08-14 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by J McKalling (Post 444802)
Didn't know about Polaris, great work from you too :p

Hey, I'm a musician aswell :p

Neko 2013-08-16 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 445022)
Considering they are all variations of a synth, there isn't much point in trying to define the exact real life instrument... you have to actually get one of these and play and see which sounds best. :tup:

Not synths, sample based libraries rather. So you do actually hear real oboes, clarinets etc. The sound isn't computergenerated, or 'computed', nor is it 'emulated'. It is a real oboe actually (or a real clarinet, I don't enter that discussion)

SpaceGuitarist 2013-08-16 23:28

Are you sure he used a sample library back then? Remember we're talking about early 90's equip. Did he ever mention that in an interview? :)

Neko 2013-08-17 16:05

He told me in an email back in 2000 or so. Could be wrong but they sound like sample packs. The woodwinds especially

SpaceGuitarist 2013-08-18 02:30

Oh, I see. For what is worth, here is what I got from him from an email back in 2008. :)

Quote:

Is the music from LBA 1 & 2 made with a real orchestra ?
Quote:

Hi Roi,

And the answer is.... : No !

Only samplers with some good sounds....

Regards
I guess you're right. :D I never noticed he used the word samplers...