the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Hi-tech thread (Hoverboards,slowmos and Spaceeeeee) (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=9247)

SpaceGuitarist 2011-11-10 15:11

Truly awesome! :eek:

Darkflame 2011-11-13 17:34

Speaking of awesome:
http://vimeo.com/32001208

wow!

ChaosFish 2011-12-05 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 410299)
Speaking of awesome:
http://vimeo.com/32001208

wow!

Omg that's so beautiful. I can't believe we actually live on this amazing planet. I'm in awe of humanity.

ChaosFish 2011-12-05 15:19

Unrelated: Micro SD 2 TB: http://techiegadgets.com/wp-content/...crosd-card.jpg

This is incredible. Micro SD... that smaller than the tip of my thumb. 2 terrabytes... that's more than 16 million millions bits. It's incomprehensible. It's amazing.

What's next? It seems like we're about to reach the optimum physically possible (until we move on to quantum). Soon we'll have memory spheres. Tiny little marbles with the capacity to store entire worlds.

Darkflame 2011-12-05 16:03

Sadly, it isnt real.
They have written the protocol specification for that size (for SDXC cards), but theres no chip in existance near that limit yet.

Frankly though, I find it pretty staggering even the 64GB cards we have right now at that size.

Quote:

Soon we'll have memory spheres. Tiny little marbles with the capacity to store entire worlds.
Depends if those worlds contain memory spheres :P

ChaosFish 2011-12-05 20:34

Aw shucks. Makes sense though.
But at the rates things are going, the day is near. I bought a 32GB MicroSD from China (from here), it costs $13.68 (including shipment to anywhere in the world). I got it by mail in three weeks. This thing is incredible, I can't stop marvel over it. So tiny. And if they're selling it at this price it must be really really cheap to manufacture. Added a USB adapter and replaced my old sandisk flash drive.

Quote:

Depends if those worlds contain memory spheres :P
Could be a challenge. :p By a whole world I mean a whole world being limited to human perceptions. There's so much going on in the universe that is plain invisible to us. Take out all the invisible stuff (and replace it with simulations), add some compression algorithms, and you'll be able to store a whole world in a marble no problem.

Darkflame 2011-12-05 21:34

Class4 not 10 eh? still tempting...upgrade out Android phone from 2GB to 32GB would be a nice leap :D
very tempting...
---
Quote:

Take out all the invisible stuff (and replace it with simulations), add some compression algorithms, and you'll be able to store a whole world in a marble no problem.
The tricky bit is when the humans start looking closer and closer at things (as they do).
You need algorythms good enough to make it up realisticaly as it goes.

Of course, this raise's the issue that the quantom resolution of our universe is just a limitation in the processing power or simulation of the universe containing or running ours ;)

ChaosFish 2011-12-06 03:02

Yep it's a knock-off, it works in around 9.2MB/s reading speed and about 3.8MB/s writing speed. Won't work with NTFS file system for some reason, but the exFAT file system is better anyway, and there's support for it in both Windows and Linux now. (FAT32 is no good for files over 4GB) Can you install linux packages in Android?
---

Are you suggesting that we're living in the Matrix or that we ourselves are emulated? Storing actual people (or any biological organism) in marbles has gotta be difficult... it'd be easier to simulate them. The one thing we know for certain is that we're not simulated. ("I think therefore I am")

Darkflame 2011-12-06 08:34

FAT32 can actualy go much higher then that, just that early windows had a problem formating it. I think your thinking of the ram-limit for 32 bit systems which is 3.2GB, FAT can go upto 32GB(I think).
Either way, exFAT has other advantages. This is Android r/w solutions for it, not sure whats built into my phone though.
---
Quote:

Are you suggesting that we're living in the Matrix or that we ourselves are emulated? Storing actual people (or any biological organism) in marbles has gotta be difficult... it'd be easier to simulate them. The one thing we know for certain is that we're not simulated. ("I think therefore I am")
Agreed absolutely.
Theres a few possibilities though, because you could have real people hocked upto machines that access the simulated world. Or you could have simulated people. Or a mix.
(and if the simulation is good enough, of course, they would basicly be people anyway)

The only other thing I think you could say for sure is that if we are in a "matrix" then the realer world containing it has to be "more complex". (that is, its physics has to be able to simulate ours as well as its own stuff).
Cant say much more though because if our world is made up it might have utterly ddifferent physics to the realer world.

I do think though it would be neat though if the quantom weirdness we observe on small scales is somehow due to how the world is being simulated.

ChaosFish 2011-12-06 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 411029)
FAT32 can actualy go much higher then that, just that early windows had a problem formating it. I think your thinking of the ram-limit for 32 bit systems which is 3.2GB, FAT can go upto 32GB(I think).

Overall maximum storage is higher than 4GB yes, but FAT32 has a limit of 4GB per file. It's impossible to store any file bigger than 4GB on a FAT32 partition.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 411029)
Agreed absolutely.
Theres a few possibilities though, because you could have real people hocked upto machines that access the simulated world. Or you could have simulated people. Or a mix.
(and if the simulation is good enough, of course, they would basicly be people anyway)

The only other thing I think you could say for sure is that if we are in a "matrix" then the realer world containing it has to be "more complex". (that is, its physics has to be able to simulate ours as well as its own stuff).
Cant say much more though because if our world is made up it might have utterly ddifferent physics to the realer world.

I do think though it would be neat though if the quantom weirdness we observe on small scales is somehow due to how the world is being simulated.

My my, your words are delicious. I agree with everything. I love that we're talking on the same wavelength. Great joy.

Jasiek 2011-12-06 10:38

NASA's Kepler Mission Announces Latest Planetary Discovery

http://youtu.be/en5OObU0ryU

The count is 2,326 so far. Including a confirmation of Kepler-22b 600 light years away, which is 2.4 times the size of Earth and is in it's stars habitable zone.

ChaosFish 2011-12-06 10:57

This stuff their talking about goes over my head. But I understood they're looking for a habitable planet. What are they hoping to accomplish once they find one? It's still hundreds of lightyears away.

Darkflame 2011-12-06 16:25

Find life mostly for now. Or life as we would recognise it anyway.
When our telescopes get a little better we can start looking at the atmospheric spectrum of the planets to look for signs of carbon based life.

In the longrun, I guess it increase's our species chances for survival a bit.
If we can ever make it out our system, its nice to know theres places to go.

Quote:

The count is 2,326 so far.
I love the fact in my lifetime they went from zero to that :P
I remember when some people were even arguing that planets would be ultra-rare...now we know they seem to be in the majority of stars we test.

Quote:

Overall maximum storage is higher than 4GB yes, but FAT32 has a limit of 4GB per file.
ah,yes! my mistake, quite right.

Jasiek 2011-12-06 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 411032)
This stuff their talking about goes over my head. But I understood they're looking for a habitable planet. What are they hoping to accomplish once they find one? It's still hundreds of lightyears away.

The knowledge of us not being the only life out there would be pretty much the biggest thing since we learnt where we came from.. (namely abiogenesis and evolution), if not bigger.

ChaosFish 2011-12-06 23:07

Update: DO NOT BUY this microsd from the link I gave. Took it a bit more than a week to completely fuck up... completely unusable. Conclusion: do not buy ridiculously cheap memory cards. (can you edit out the link from my post there? I can't edit it anymore)

Darkflame 2011-12-07 16:45

Thanks for the warning.
I have bought cheap ones from;
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa...go.x=17&go.y=6
before and they have been fine. But thats just in the "cheap" scale not the stupidly cheap scale. (ie, they arnt knock offs).

I notice AA batteries have crashed in price recently. Guess everything these days is rechargable.

Darkflame 2011-12-14 21:22

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/12...-up-for-orbit/

Wow!
The futures coming fast folks ^_^

ChaosFish 2011-12-14 23:12

So basically in other words, Microsoft is developing rockets now. The future seems promising. :-/ :p

Darkflame 2011-12-14 23:32

Paul Allan (Microsofts co-founder) has been in the space game awhile. Gates choose to spend his fortunes on drug research, Allan on space research.

Darkflame 2011-12-15 14:37

If robots are more your thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNbj2G3GmAo

Its amazing what toys can do these days O_o

Even climb ladders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD48S...eature=related
sort-of.

ChaosFish 2011-12-15 15:32

Holy shitz! I was never NEVER into toys (not even as a kid), but I reaaaally want one of these O_O

Horadrim 2011-12-15 23:25

NAO so much reminds me of the Teddy (or whatever was it`s name) from AI. Especially in the part of the commercial, where turned to his owner and started walking towards him, when he called him.

SpaceGuitarist 2011-12-16 02:14

Holy shite indeed! It is even a bit disturbing how intelligent it is. :stupid:

EDIT: I wonder what would happen if you put a baby next to it. And other than the parents, this is all companion he gets. The baby would recognise it to be artificial? or just some weird friend? would they become best friends? haha, so much to speculate.

Horadrim 2011-12-16 03:15

I find more disturbing the resemblance between NAO`s voice and GLaDOS` from Portal :D . Since the little robot so much reminded mi of Teddy from AI, I can`t stop thinking that it`ll be more appropriate to be voiced by Jack Angel :P .

pistolpete_1980 2011-12-18 07:55

no way thats pretty cool


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:20.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, the Magicball Network