the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   First aid (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   LBA 1&2 on Win10 / Peixoto's Patch / CD Copy Questions (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=18234)

Double-J 2018-04-14 20:37

LBA 1&2 on Win10 / Peixoto's Patch / CD Copy Questions

Hi All,

I've been trying to get LBA 1 & 2 to run on my Windows 10 machine, and while both work, there are some inconveniences that I'd like to fix (if possible).
  1. While both LBA 1 & 2 run in Windows 10 for me, the biggest issue is the screen resolution. I can't seem to find a way to force scaling. I've been using LBAWin with LBA 1, and LBA 2 runs in compatibility mode just fine. The problem is that I end up with a 640x480 display that is surrounded by empty black space. I've tried forcing a larger resolution/upscaling through the AMD GPU software, but no luck. Is there any way I could force these games to output to a custom resolution (preferably 4K)?
  2. PCGamingWiki is one of my favorite sites for solving most game-related issues. They recommend installing "Peixoto's Patch" for both LBA 1 and 2, which seems to be a wholesale set of patch files for a number of different (older) titles. Has anyone used this with success? If so, it may solve my previous question, since it seems to offer a number of improvements to make the games playable on modern systems.
  3. Lastly, I've been trying to make copies of my LBA 1&2 CDs to avoid any more wear and tear on the discs. I could buy the GOG/Steam versions, sure, but ideally I would like to make clones of these discs. I seems to be running into issues though because the discs are 'mixed media' and so some of the copy software I have used doesn't seem to make an exact 1:1 copy. What software do you recommend using and what is the best way to create exact 1:1 copies of these discs for use without CDs? Or is it possible to copy the disc contents into a file directory and then direct the game(s) to look there?

Thanks very much for your assistance!

-- DJ

Battler 2018-04-15 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-J
While both LBA 1 & 2 run in Windows 10 for me, the biggest issue is the screen resolution. I can't seem to find a way to force scaling. I've been using LBAWin with LBA 1, and LBA 2 runs in compatibility mode just fine. The problem is that I end up with a 640x480 display that is surrounded by empty black space. I've tried forcing a larger resolution/upscaling through the AMD GPU software, but no luck. Is there any way I could force these games to output to a custom resolution (preferably 4K)?

The games are hardcoded to 640x480, to use anything different you need to somehow obtain their source code, and rewrite them for the new resolution.

Quote:

PCGamingWiki is one of my favorite sites for solving most game-related issues. They recommend installing "Peixoto's Patch" for both LBA 1 and 2, which seems to be a wholesale set of patch files for a number of different (older) titles. Has anyone used this with success? If so, it may solve my previous question, since it seems to offer a number of improvements to make the games playable on modern systems.
It seems to hack things on top of LBAWin and FunnyFrog-patched LBA 2, and in the latter case, it also seems to only supports the European version of LBA 2.
I recommend running LBA 2 on an emulator instead, you won't need FunnyFrog's patch, and as such, you spare yourself all the bugs caused by it (such as the non-steering car and the wizards' freeing scene being messed up).

Quote:

Lastly, I've been trying to make copies of my LBA 1&2 CDs to avoid any more wear and tear on the discs. I could buy the GOG/Steam versions, sure, but ideally I would like to make clones of these discs. I seems to be running into issues though because the discs are 'mixed media' and so some of the copy software I have used doesn't seem to make an exact 1:1 copy. What software do you recommend using and what is the best way to create exact 1:1 copies of these discs for use without CDs? Or is it possible to copy the disc contents into a file directory and then direct the game(s) to look there?
Get Alcohol 120% and dump them into MDS/MDF, or even better, CUE/BIN. Then use Alcohol 120% the mount the resulting images (or you can mount them directly in most emulators if CUE/BIN).

Polaris 2018-04-16 02:40

I'd say Daemon tools can make an image of your discs, which you can they either mount or copy.

Double-J 2018-04-24 03:37

Thank you Battler for the detailed advice; using your recommendations, I was able to get things running properly. :)

Polly, I totally forgot about Daemon tools but that is a good tip, too!

Reek 2018-06-15 11:59

If you got the games running properly then maybe there's no need, but personally I prefer just sticking to the steam versions, which cost next to nothing and don't require any tinkering. (Plus they exist on the cloud so I don't need to worry about backing them up - For the life of me I couldn't tell you where my original LBA cds are nowadays, pretty sure they're not in existence anymore)

Mazaka151 2018-09-09 07:24

I'm not sure how the modern AMD settings look but it should have something like this
https://support.amd.com/PublishingIm...puscaling3.jpg