the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mac or PC?? (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=7907)

ellimac 2004-06-23 20:20

Mac or PC??

Yeah, classical debate, but if you had money for that, what would you buy? Mac or PC? what kind (laptop, ...), which one and why?

and... which's better?

morshem 2004-06-23 20:24

Don't understand anything at all about that, so just give me my good old PC, and I'm happy :p .

the_angry_monkey 2004-06-23 20:31

PC - Mac is good but expensive. Everyone says Macs are great for gfx, but PC is up there with it now. Besides if you pay through the nose for a gfx system buy an SGI :D

T@!!&$ 2004-06-23 20:38

I use PC, so, it's better.:p

Bushmeister 2004-06-23 20:45

PC.

Darkflame 2004-06-23 20:45

Mac's are more effient, better builty, ect ect

Its true, the componants are designed to go with eachover...less felixable, but results in more stable hardware.

However, the OS isnt very good, IMO...it mearly hides most of the errors and tries to look pretty :p

Compatability is of course the main reason why everyone buys PC's, but i dont think that makes them better as such.

ChaosFish 2004-06-23 20:57

Pc. Windows. Big screen.

Reek 2004-06-23 20:58

I heard Mac is good for desgining newspaper, magazines and stuff.

But for the average user?
Pc, more compatible, and will fulfill all our average needs.

Purple Sheep 2004-06-23 21:41

Never owned a Mac. But they're so much cooler. Unfortunately they're not as compatible with most things, but the OS is stabler than Windows and practically no-one writes viruses for Macs.

V2 2004-06-23 22:17

It depends on what you need them for. Mac gaming is allmost non-existant compared to PC's one but MacOS's environment is so much friendlier and easier to figure out for someone that has no idea about computers and stuff and for kids. Compatibility is a big, and for some countries like Greece, a huge issue. And as for graphics, I have been many years on a mac, I can't say I have dealt with this kind of stuff seriously, but on the level that a normal user does I can see no difference than the PC. I can't know what happens with proffessional software and equippment though...

Panda 2004-06-23 22:31

Macs are shit.

ellimac 2004-06-23 22:58

ok so /me would buy a PowerBook or iBook, with the smallest screen possible, and some periphs.

My dad wants me to have at least the second class honours (Brit) / cum laude (US) for my BAC next year, but if I get the first class honours (Brit) / magma cum laude (US :p ) --which is gonna be very hard-- he'll buy me one :D

Medur 2004-06-23 23:54

PC.
Mostly because x86 is cheaper, not only the initial hardware, but also mantaining and upgrading. Partially because I'm used to it.
But except for that, there aren't any advantages in having a x86 computer, for me.
Software isn't a matter because everything I use is available for PPC.

Panda 2004-06-24 00:20

Lol, buy an ibook and you'll regret it. They're shit for pretty much everything. Just get a normal decent laptop.

nights000 2004-06-24 01:01

Mac has more stable hardware
but i like livin on the edge so an overclocked pc must better for compat
also mac os is just a variant of linux and i got that on my pc

wacko 2004-06-24 01:31

PC. Nothing beats the hardwarematic customability, prices (competition), compatibility, support and speed, although some people clame otherwise on that last point.

By the way, I wonder why are people always thinking "Windows OR Linux?" and "pc OR Mac?"... why not have best from both worlds and just have both? :)
I have a Windows PC as primary workstation, and a second pc in the room next door which runs Linux and is remotely accessable (it's more like a server than a workstation). This way I can perfectly use advantages of both OSes.
Yeah, two pc's are more expensive than one of course, but one of them doesn't have to be bleeding edge in order to run a secondary os.

Also, I won't "switch" (I dislike that term) to Macs any time soon, but I wouldn't mind having an Apple laptop instead of a common pc laptop if I'd be getting a laptop right now. Mostly because I already have normal pc's at home.

nights000 2004-06-24 01:34

well Mac beats pcs hands down in the laptop department as all pc laptops are shite

yeah i cant afford another pc otherwise id do what you have currently i duel bootk linux and winxp

StarmanDX 2004-06-24 01:46

Macs are better, but I don't think you could tear my away from my PC games and applications. :(

As for the Powerbook? Go for it. They seem really good, better than "PC" laptops; and it's not like you'd be playing PC games on it, right?

Medur 2004-06-24 01:49

Quote:

also mac os is just a variant of linux and i got that on my pc
No, it's not. Mac OS X is darwin, an open-source unix-like kernel for the PPC architecture, developed by Apple, plus Apple's own graphical server. You can run (GNU) Linux in PPC, though.

Quote:

By the way, I wonder why are people always thinking "Windows OR Linux?" and "pc OR Mac?"... why not have best from both worlds and just have both?
I have a Windows PC as primary workstation, and a second pc in the room next door which runs Linux and is remotely accessable (it's more like a server than a workstation). This way I can perfectly use advantages of both OSes.
That's for wimps, man. :p

nights000 2004-06-24 01:53

i know what mac os is but essentially it all comes down to a unix type kernnel plus the interface is very similar to linux

Medur 2004-06-24 02:04

Yeah, but you can't possibly want to compare them the way you did. That's like saying that uh, two Ford cars are the same, just because they're Fords. And what do you mean with "interface"? Both kernels are transparent, they have no builtin interface. You can communicate to them through the console or a graphical server or whatever, but that can be applied to any simmilar kernel.

SpaceGuitarist 2004-06-24 02:07

Pc.

i dont think i can add anything to why i chose it, everything possible has been said already

T@!!&$ 2004-06-24 02:38

The "old" people is trying to back post again!:)

wacko 2004-06-24 04:09

I agree there are a lot of crappy pc laptops available and Apple seems like a great deal for a very nice laptop, but if you're a little knowledgable you can find decent quality and not too expensive pc laptops as well. They're probably cheaper than Apple laptops, still. The Centrino platform is awesome, I personally wouldn't buy any non-Centrino pc laptop (unless I needed some huge desktop replacament laptop). Asus for example has a great Centrino range, the S5200 and M5200 models are just as small and lighter than the tiniest PowerBook (and still have a 12" screen).

I wouldn't dis-recommend a PowerBook though :) just saying that there aren't any good pc laptops isn't very true.

Panda 2004-06-24 12:08

All Laptop PC's are crap? You're chatting bollocks mate, maybe where you live they are, but theres some bargains to be found here, especially with a company called "Acer". Apple is too uncompatible for my liking. IF you want to struggle to get things you normally can working, go on an buy a powerbook or whatever. Otherwise, just get a normal laptop.