the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Huge fan of LBA 2, never really played the first (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=18243)

Niborius 2018-05-24 19:15

Huge fan of LBA 2, never really played the first
 
Hello fellow LBA fans!


As the title reads, I'm a huge fan of LBA 2. Played it ever since I was a little kid and still enjoying it to this day.



I've given the first LBA a try a few years ago but I found it really hard to enjoy it. It was very action based and I got frustrated by some things, like running against a wall already does damage (this happens so easily), and the start of the game where each mistake meant a complete restart was pretty annoying to me too. Is the first part of the game just not so good compared to the rest of the game? I tried it again a year ago but again I really couldn't find the motivation to keep playing. But since I'm a huge LBA 2 fan, and since a lot of you guys seem to love LBA 1, I figured I should REALLY give it a good try again.


Opinions? :)

Quetch 2018-05-24 20:46

Heh, what can I say apart from the fact that I totally understand where you're coming from. My first contact with the LBA universe was, like in your case, through LBA2. A demo actually. And yes, the feelings were, are and will probably always remain the same, meaning that there's no comparison between the 2 games. Sure, I still like the first one because you know, we have Twinsen and it's a LBA game, it's the thing that started it all in the end and it laid down the foundation for what was about to become LBA2 after only 3 years but ... to me LBA2 is like the summer time of my dreams, that childhood memory that's stuck forever in your brain. While LBA1 feels like that pesky winter in 6th grade, where all you can remember is the struggle. In short, LBA2 is magic, while LBA1 completely lacks that feeling. But then again, I'm happy they've managed to turn a game like that into a magnificent one a few years down the road. I would've hated it if the situation would've been reversed :) Heh, as a side humorous thought: if LBA1 was 'meh' and all it took was 3 years for the 2nd title to be THAT good, imagine what they'll do with LBA3 after 20-some years :D

kash 2018-05-25 05:24

I'm the total opposite. I love both games but I always thought lba1 was a much better game.The 3D graphics of lba2 have aged really badly. I was playing a lot recently when speedrunning it; some of the landscape are bland and gray (especially in undergas and Zeelich) and it seems you have less places to visit. I think that feeling comes from the fact that lba1 was more an open world, you could go back and forth to most places. In lba 2 that's not the case.
Also i just cant stand the new enemies in lba2, the Francos are basically just sausages and the Esmer look too much like Quetchs.
The plot of lba1 despite being quite simple is much stronger. You can feel the pressure of dictatorship and the rebellion against the system, the quest for freedom, the struggle of the people. Lba2's plot is more unclear and less inspiring.

I think to some extent lba1 has more maturity and darkness to it while lba2 is more fun and less serious. So it's a question of taste really. But I think lba1 is closer to what Fred Raynal had imagined. I quote him from Wikipedia "we wanted to do a story for adults, something quite mature". His other works also show a taste for more serious themes in games: alone in the dark and 2Dark.
But this is just my opinion and of course there's always the wall hit annoyance in lba1...

Graxer 2018-05-25 16:51

I too started with LBA2 and when, a few years later, I finally got hold of LBA1 I was very disappointed. It was a massive step back in every way, ridiculously hard and much less, in my opinion, visually appealing.

I also didn't like the darker, serious tone that LBA1 has, and that preference has followed me throughout my life with other games.

SpaceGuitarist 2018-05-26 03:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graxer (Post 457716)
(...) and that preference has followed me throughout my life with other games.

Do you have any other LBA-alike games to recommend?

Quetch 2018-05-29 09:36

I do :) Beyond Good & Evil. When I've played it, it was the closest thing to LBA I've ever experienced. Truly a magnificent universe. Even the plot is similar, the characters, races, etc. Just check it out.

XXStranger 2018-05-29 18:58

I also started with the LBA2 and when I tried the LBA1 for the first time it was very hard for me.

I was able to complete the LBA1 finally a few years ago thanks to GOG. The truth is that I ended up liking a lot when you start to know the game well.

Of course, I prefer the LBA2 by much. LBA2 always bring me nostalgic memories that do not give me LBA1.

My advice is that you give the LBA1 a chance again. When you start to know him and to develop well for him, it becomes a delight.

SpaceGuitarist 2018-05-30 05:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quetch (Post 457728)
I do :) Beyond Good & Evil. When I've played it, it was the closest thing to LBA I've ever experienced. Truly a magnificent universe. Even the plot is similar, the characters, races, etc. Just check it out.

Oh, I did play it a long time ago, great game indeed, and it's been mentioned in MBN for ages as the only LBA-like game. Thanks nonetheless for reminding me of it, good memories. :)

But ever since that - we're in 2018 now and BG&E is from 2003... - hasn't there been any other game ?? It's very disappointing.

Kroll 2018-06-01 00:48

Same thing.
I tried LBA I a few times when I was young and I didn't like it. It was hard to play, the saving system was not perfect etc. But later, when I became 18-20 yo, I started to understand it. Yeah, it is not so pretty, but script is well made, and game has its own charm.
When I became even older... I started to think of Fallout 1 and 2! And I had never think to play it when I learned at school or university...
Maybe you should wait a little bit and grow up to start enjoy games like this?

Jesse 2018-06-04 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by kash (Post 457714)
I'm the total opposite. I love both games but I always thought lba1 was a much better game.The 3D graphics of lba2 have aged really badly. I was playing a lot recently when speedrunning it; some of the landscape are bland and gray (especially in undergas and Zeelich) and it seems you have less places to visit. I think that feeling comes from the fact that lba1 was more an open world, you could go back and forth to most places. In lba 2 that's not the case.
Also i just cant stand the new enemies in lba2, the Francos are basically just sausages and the Esmer look too much like Quetchs.
The plot of lba1 despite being quite simple is much stronger. You can feel the pressure of dictatorship and the rebellion against the system, the quest for freedom, the struggle of the people. Lba2's plot is more unclear and less inspiring.

I think to some extent lba1 has more maturity and darkness to it while lba2 is more fun and less serious. So it's a question of taste really. But I think lba1 is closer to what Fred Raynal had imagined. I quote him from Wikipedia "we wanted to do a story for adults, something quite mature". His other works also show a taste for more serious themes in games: alone in the dark and 2Dark.
But this is just my opinion and of course there's always the wall hit annoyance in lba1...

could not have said it better, also with the music. lba1 goes deeper for me.

Jesse 2018-06-04 16:25

between being married, writing music, fulltime job, i hardly find time to play games anyway :|

also...i just do not have the patience to wander around...anyone recognize this? even if i play a new game i kinda want the solution (walkthrough) really fast :(

SpaceGuitarist 2018-06-04 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 457767)
also...i just do not have the patience to wander around...anyone recognize this? even if i play a new game i kinda want the solution (walkthrough) really fast :(

Then what's the point in playing?
That's like watching a movie knowing all the plot twists.

Jesse 2018-06-05 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist (Post 457769)
Then what's the point in playing?
That's like watching a movie knowing all the plot twists.

yes so I don't play games anymore really, last time was around 2007. I do sometimes replay FF7 or LBA etc, but something new?

:(

SpaceGuitarist 2018-06-05 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 457776)
yes so I don't play games anymore really, last time was around 2007. I do sometimes replay FF7 or LBA etc, but something new?

:(

Like LBA... nothing new that I'm aware of.

But about games in general, INSIDE is a masterpiece you should try out. Once you start it, you will finish it, it's that much addictive and immersive. It's very dark, though. A lighter choice would be PAN-PAN, brilliant little game based around puzzles. And if you don't mind playing in your mobile, then MONUMENT VALLEY is a must.

Polaris 2018-06-06 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 457767)
also...i just do not have the patience to wander around...anyone recognize this? even if i play a new game i kinda want the solution (walkthrough) really fast :(

I know that feeling. I got a Nintendo Switch recently with Zelda Breath of the Wild. So many buttons. Such a big map... But don't want to learn buttons and whatnot, I just want to play :(
So I bought Celeste from the webshop, and am finding it awesome :D

SpaceGuitarist 2018-06-06 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 457796)
I know that feeling. I got a Nintendo Switch recently with Zelda Breath of the Wild. So many buttons. Such a big map... But don't want to learn buttons and whatnot, I just want to play :(
So I bought Celeste from the webshop, and am finding it awesome :D

Celeste uh? thanks for the tip, I love these kind of platformers.

Polaris 2018-06-07 12:23

I think you'll like it |)

SpaceGuitarist 2018-06-08 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 457804)

I'll definitely like it !!
Just noticed they also made TowerFall which I bought long time ago and it was a great couch-party co-op game to play with friends and all...
... this one seems to be single player but it's not a problem! I love exploring by myself too! :D :D


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:34.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, the Magicball Network