the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Great news from Didier (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=15910)

MatheusMK3 2011-08-04 03:21

Great news from Didier

This is an translation of Didier's note on Facebook (located here) that says:
Code:

In view of the many messages received in last days about LBA I want to clarify some things:
1. To date, LBA3 is not planned.
2. A PC edition of LBA1 & 2 (cloud) is being negotiated to the end of year.
3. An "remix" of LBA1 on tablet is under consideration.
I don't want to disappoint the fans, but the road to LBA3 is still long and bumpy. If luckly the public's enthusiasm generated by the PC edition and the "remix" was to go, we might finally have an opportunity to seriously consider the creation of a whole LBA3 (funding/design/technical and support).
Thank you for your understanding and your support for past, present and future.

Anyways, who wants to read the original text (in case of also having an better translation too):
Code:

Au vu des nombreux messages sur LBA reçus ces derniers jours je tiens à préciser certaines choses :
1. À ce jour, LBA3 n’est pas planifié.
2. Une réédition PC LBA1&2 (dématérialisée) est en négociation pour la fin de l’année
3. Un « Remix » de LBA1 sur tablette tactile est à l’étude.
Je ne veux pas décevoir les fans, mais la route qui mène vers LBA3 est encore longue et semée d’embuches. Si par bonheur l’engouement du public suscité par la réédition PC et du « remix » était au rendez-vous, nous aurions peut être enfin l’occasion d’étudier sérieusement la création de LBA3 dans sa globalité (financement/Game design/ technique et supports).
Merci pour votre compréhension et pour votre soutien passé, actuel et à venir.

killerhamPster 2011-08-04 15:12

Yes, really good news, espescially a re-release of LBA1 and 2 in the near future.
Not sure about the "cloud"-part of the translation, guess that means the games will be download-only (i.e., via Steam/GOG/etc.)?!

Kitarii 2011-08-04 15:15

Yeah it means online distribution I think, that's a pretty good move.
Might be nice if they gave it a bit of a tidy up as well.

MatheusMK3 2011-08-04 17:26

By cloud I suppose they will be distributed through Steam while having an CD version...
I'm really excited now... =)

Polaris 2011-08-05 11:02

A steam version would be nice. I finally wouldn't be ashamed when speaking about LBA2 here ^^'

ChaosFish 2011-08-05 16:18

no Steam version = shame ?

Lawrence 2011-08-06 00:54

Polaris means that he doesn't own LBA2, I think?

Jasiek 2011-08-06 02:40

Oh come on...!
These games are more then a decade old!

Just release them in the public domain already...!

Cade 2011-08-06 11:46

Maybe they'll become popular again, like Fallout 1 & 2. And maybe, popular enough for other people to figure out what we're talking about sometimes. :D

Lawrence 2011-08-06 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasiek (Post 406311)
Oh come on...!
These games are more then a decade old!

Just release them in the public domain already...!

Yeah, I kinda think that would be a good idea, people would be more likely to try the series if they could do it free of charge, though that means that Fredrick & co. would have to port two games for free, which equals to wasting time and money without the insurance that the games will actually become popular after all the effort...
Meh, I dunno anymore. I hope they make the right choices. As Didier said "the road to LBA3 is still long and bumpy"

Aruchi89 2011-08-06 17:28

i dont understand, what does the cloud mean?? there wont be a cd for the release?? we'll have to downoad the games from internet??? i am confused, i dont speak in these terms, :o

Polaris 2011-08-06 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence (Post 406307)
Polaris means that he doesn't own LBA2, I think?

Exactly.

Axx 2011-08-06 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aruchi89 (Post 406318)
i dont understand, what does the cloud mean?? there wont be a cd for the release?? we'll have to downoad the games from internet??? i am confused, i dont speak in these terms, :o

It means online distribution, you buy it online, download the game, and there's no physical CD sent to you!:)

Jesse 2011-08-06 22:25

Lba for ipad would be awesome, great revival potential

WebSeed 2011-08-07 00:17

Great news!

I'm most excited by the prospect of a tablet version of LBA. It would be interesting to see how they would translate the controls to a touchscreen / gesture interface and also how they would handle the upscaling of graphics (new assets or just an increased viewport onto the world?). If they get it right, they may be surprised how much interest it ignites.

Longer term, LBA 3 would be obviously be fantastic and (just about) plausible given the new distribution channels open to independent teams (I doubt we could expect it to have the large development and marketing budget of a 'Triple-A' title but I can see it working as a low to medium budget indie game).

Of course I'll also be buying online PC distributions of 1 and 2 too if / when they arrive. Fingers crossed.

Lightwing 2011-08-07 01:21

Hey.... I remember you. :-]

Rex_Hollywood 2011-08-07 22:23

That's some exciting news!...but I have my doubts considering the history of the franchise and the people related to it.
Still probably the best piece of news here in years.

Edit: By the way, I found myself looking at this thread because I saw a news piece about that in Hebrew.

Streg 2011-08-08 02:56

yeah. Keeping our fingers crossed and buy the digital version of LBA1/2 (if it will come out) is all we can do. And we MUST do it.

MatheusMK3 2011-08-10 03:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreGGy (Post 406390)
yeah. Keeping our fingers crossed and buy the digital version of LBA1/2 (if it will come out) is all we can do. And we MUST do it.

This may be an good reason to my mom give me an credit card as gift? :lol:

ChaosFish 2011-08-10 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood (Post 406378)
Edit: By the way, I found myself looking at this thread because I saw a news piece about that in Hebrew.

Just how many stalkers/lurkers does the MBN have? This is getting creepy... hundreds of thousands of people secretly watching every post we make here.

Streg 2011-08-11 02:19

yep... remember i stalked your community pretty much before registering, and many members said they did that too. It feels creapy that I knew names like "morshem", "chaosfish", "elmuerte" or "illumina" and "Tophars" (then ricochet, now kit) months before you could see my first post :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatheusMK3 (Post 406454)
This may be an good reason to my mom give me an credit card as gift? :lol:

mine would say: "get a work and get one by yourself" :tup:

MatheusMK3 2011-08-11 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreGGy (Post 406484)
yep... remember i stalked your community pretty much before registering, and many members said they did that too. It feels creapy that I knew names like "morshem", "chaosfish", "elmuerte" or "illumina" and "Tophars" (then ricochet, now kit) months before you could see my first post :P

mine would say: "get a work and get one by yourself" :tup:

What I meant was to allow me to buy things from internet... (And I have an work too ;))

Rex_Hollywood 2011-08-12 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 406471)
Just how many stalkers/lurkers does the MBN have? This is getting creepy... hundreds of thousands of people secretly watching every post we make here.

I don't think Gamer lurks here...they linked in their piece to a French gaming site, while here only a Facebook note is mentioned (which I can't view).
It's strange though, I think they're a bunch of amateur gaming journalists and don't think they have people looking at French gaming sites, yet I searched for anything related in English gaming sites and didn't find anything.

MatheusMK3 2011-08-12 17:47

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood (Post 406507)
I don't think Gamer lurks here...they linked in their piece to a French gaming site, while here only a Facebook note is mentioned (which I can't view)..

You need to have Didier as friend, I suppose...
Anyways, you can see the note on the attachment...

Darkflame 2011-08-12 20:14

Dumping it on GOG etc for a cheap price would be excelent.

Note; Cheap is much better then free, imho. As it shows value. Free is excelent advertising....if there was a LBA3 to advertise. But as there isnt showing demand to publishers is better.
Could have LBA1 free and LBA2 for cheap, if anything though.

Not sure a Tablet version would be worth it controlls would be god-awefull imho.
Unless its particularly easy to port or something.