the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   General (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Any projects still running? (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17297)

Armageddon 2013-11-15 16:21

Any projects still running?

Hey guys was just wondering if any projects were still running. I Remember two years ago when LID demo was released, it encouraged me to the point of insomnia to mod. Me and My younger brother along with 6 cousins of mine tried making our own mod for the game but an unfortunate hard drive crash wiped all of it away :( I think I cried all week after that. We had all text/script work done, all,grids finished, models at 80% and scenes were at 20%, I had spent months in the build up hoping to learn python and c++ but coding was a daunting task for a group of amateurs :/. We worked almost 6 hours a day after school and before, we finished nearly 200 quality grids and scenes and over 60 new models. We reconstructed entire islands created new bricks and layouts the entire game's story was original and inter-twined with lba. over 60 new animations for the characters were also created and we were atleast 30% finished. The coding was by far the most challenging, since I was the most actice member in the group I constantly had to work. I never managed to quite grasp the concept and wasted nearly a month on just one scene until I understood it better and after the 20th scene I started to get the hang of it. But after about 6 months into the project, the hard-drive overheated severely and was damaged beyond repair. No data could be retrieved, at first I was not fazed as I thought my cousins whom I entrusted with backing up the files after each checkpoint had them, but somehow as I would later find out they never managed to collect them distraught and heartbroken. I was ailing for Weeks, all that work was in vain and I felt useless. I felt like My masterpiece was lost forever and it truly was, but the strangest thing is that in the aftermath of all that turmoil, suffering and disappointment If I had the chance I'd do it all over again. That's lba for ya!

marcosmapf 2013-11-15 18:03

I'm not sure if they are still working on it, because we haven't received any news regarding the project since a few weeks, but alexfont and some other people were doing something related to LBA.

Also, there is a guy (whose nickname I don't remember) that is creating the full 3D version of the game, and seems to be doing pretty well. I will tell you the name if I remember or find the topic again =)

Zink 2013-11-15 20:34

I feel for you, Armageddon. It's a terrible loss.

The project marcos is talking about is called ResidualVM, and this is the thread for it: https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17156.

Not a direct modification project, but I 'am' still working on the LBArchitect. Some months ago I announced the possibility to edit LBA2 scripts, and then I had absolutely no time for that until now. Quite a shame. I still want to make some more features/fixes for the public release, and I think I am able to do it in a relatively short time. But after that - I don't know.

Zee 2013-11-15 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcosmapf (Post 446398)
I'm not sure if they are still working on it, because we haven't received any news regarding the project since a few weeks, but alexfont and some other people were doing something related to LBA.

Also, there is a guy (whose nickname I don't remember) that is creating the full 3D version of the game, and seems to be doing pretty well. I will tell you the name if I remember or find the topic again =)

You must be referring to angelus or hyperbatata

marcosmapf 2013-11-15 23:24

I realy don't recall his name... Its the guy that was finishing modeling the Citadel Island in 3D for his game a month ago...

Armageddon 2013-11-16 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcosmapf (Post 446406)
I realy don't recall his name... Its the guy that was finishing modeling the Citadel Island in 3D for his game a month ago...

I remember a while back Jasiek was doing something similar to that, don't know if it's the same project though :/

Polaris 2013-11-17 12:19

It isn't, I believe Jasiek is working on something called Little Script Adventure...
Anyway, Angelus and Hyperbatata work alone.

Angelus 2013-11-23 06:27

I don't know about others projects but I can assure you that this done by me is still going on (even in this moment I do some changes inside game mechanics). But there was few factors that slowed down everything: I changed job, changed my localisation on map and I waited two or three months to switch back on my normal computer. Right now I slowly return with normal speed of work.

Sorry also to hear that so much of your work was lost but also I am not surprised with it. If have heard about such a situations a lot and I also have some experience in this field. In past I lost some data that I didn't hold in multiple locations. So my advice on future: hold all data in some externals location (FTP, SVN, Perforce, DropBox, Google Drive) thanks to that there is smaller possibility that something will happen to it. Local copy on the same disk cannot be called backup.

Whiteleafdesert 2013-11-23 11:42

They are alll dead! :(

Lightwing 2013-11-30 08:05

That's really terrible man. So sorry to hear that.

You just learned an incredibly valuable lesson a very, very hard way.

Back the **** up, everything, all the time.

Battler 2013-12-05 20:56

- Armageddon: The LBA modding projects are in a quite sad state right now. The leader of LID, Necdilzor, is gone, the LBA Prequel has been cancelled, and LBA: The Great Rebellion is currently on life support, until people actually start giving some input on the storyline, and until I do some more work of my own.

Whiteleafdesert 2013-12-06 23:10

What a loss. :tdown: