the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Imagine a world... (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=15271)

ChaosFish 2010-03-17 07:06

Imagine a world...

Imagine a world where the earth is flat. If the earth is flat, gravity isn't in mass, it's in direction. Gravity simply pulls you down.

-|-
./\.
_______

And if gravity is in direction, that direction can be defined in the molecules that make you. We, the people of earth are simply beings that fall toward 180 degrees.

There can be other beings, that fall toward other directions, but they're not on earth, because even if they fall toward a slightly different direction from 180ยบ, they'd eventually slip off the edge of the earth and fall toward another plane, only finally stopping when they hit a plane in their own slope.

|..|
|>--O
|..|
|

And in this world, they wonder: What if the world was a box? A very small box, containing people of all directions. A small world, where even though people fall in different directions, they'd eventually meet each other. They will build structures that will enable them to occupy the same room, and cooperate in tasks that can benefit from people of different directions.

|..|.......0.
|>--O...-|-
|..|......./\.

In this world, a girl and a boy falling toward opposite directions became good friends. Even since they were little, they hung out together against all odds. When one of them visited the other one's house, that one walked on the ceiling while the other one walked on the floor. When they were outside, they put on a leash and attached it to a heavy rock on wheels, so they won't fall to the sky.

They always made sure they weigh the same - exactly the same. If one was heavier than the other, the other one would have to put rocks in their pockets. When they weighed the same, they could hold hands and fly in the sky. One falling up, one falling down... and together, they can defy gravity. They knew that if they accidentally let go the result would be catastrophic, but they took the risk and did it anyway.

|..|.........|..|
|>--O..O--<|
|..|.........|..|

17 years later, they were still together, and everything was still perfect.... But not for long... Because now, an epic adventure begins...

Kitarii 2010-03-17 10:30

Oh this is going to be a story, I didn't realise that till the end.
I suppose I shouldn't bother asking why gravity doesn't work conventionally even though it still would if the earth was flat?

Darkflame 2010-03-17 11:43

Well, if gravity was conventional, youd never get a flat planet to start with.
--
Nice idea for a story.

ChaosFish 2010-03-17 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarii (Post 394700)
Oh this is going to be a story, I didn't realise that till the end.

Me neither TBH. Will probably never happen though.

(but I do plan on making some artz of some sort about it so it can be visual and stuffz)

Rex_Hollywood 2010-03-17 15:31

Why if the Earth is flat then gravity has a direction?

Darkflame 2010-03-17 15:55

Because someone set the planer gravity modifier to that direction silly :P
--
Thinking about it, Ive played games that worked a bit like this;
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/503275
(get past level 10 and you will see what I mean :) )

ChaosFish 2010-03-17 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood (Post 394713)
Why if the Earth is flat then gravity has a direction?

I dunno, it just makes sense.

Darkf - I played that game, t'was nice. (totally forgot about it)

...Now I want that game but with developed people characters and storyline and AI and awesome GFX in real 3D environment, instead of 2D cubes.

Rex_Hollywood 2010-03-17 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 394722)
I dunno, it just makes sense.

My sense tells me gravity would work the same way like it does on all objects. That flat surface would have lots of mass which would give us gravity towards that object, and that would mean that once you reach the edge of the surface you could flip and start walking on the bottom.

Would be pretty nice actually...

ChaosFish 2010-03-17 20:00

But if gravity would work the same then you won't flip. You'll always be pulled to the center of the object. So the closer you'll be to the edge, the more you'll get pulled backward by gravity.

Rex_Hollywood 2010-03-17 20:09

But if you're strong enough to get to the edge, you could start walking on the bottom as well.

Darkflame 2010-03-17 20:28

Youd have more chance digging a hole. Then youd only need to have some sort of small rocket/projectile to push you past the centre, and someone to catch you the other side.
(before you go down again and get stuck oscillating around the middle)

Rex_Hollywood 2010-03-17 20:51

That situation reminds me of another Flash game.

ChaosFish 2010-03-17 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood (Post 394727)
But if you're strong enough to get to the edge, you could start walking on the bottom as well.

When you'll be near the edge, the ground won't seem like floor anymore, it will be like a wall in front of you, and you'll be climbing it. So whichever direction you choose to take after you climb off the top, you'll still fall down. But, yeah, eventually you'll flip (but very gradually).

ChaosFish 2010-03-17 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood (Post 394730)

Wowz, interesting game.

Polaris 2010-03-18 19:40

You're all wrong, gravity doesn't come from the walls, from the rules created by Chaosfish, it's something pre-determind for every single person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosFish (Post 394698)
And if gravity is in direction, that direction can be defined in the molecules that make you.

by the way, does anyone knows what the morse message means in the game Darkfame posted ?

SpaceGuitarist 2010-03-19 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame
Thinking about it, Ive played games that worked a bit like this;
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/503275

Nice... quite addictive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood (Post 394730)

Thanks for posting that. I liked it. Although, what the hell??? :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaosfish
In this world, a girl and a boy falling toward opposite directions became good friends. (...) they could hold hands and fly in the sky. One falling up, one falling down... and together, they can defy gravity.

Very romantic, fishos.* In a sci-fi'ish way.

*I know they're depicted as best friends, yet it does have a romantic quality...

Darkflame 2010-03-20 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 394756)
by the way, does anyone knows what the morse message means in the game Darkfame posted ?

If I remember correctly I think you get a translate option if you play far enough.

Rex_Hollywood 2010-03-20 02:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame (Post 394784)
If I remember correctly I think you get a translate option if you play far enough.

Nope, but you get a message in Russian as well.

Darkflame 2010-03-20 14:34

oh :P

SpaceGuitarist 2012-06-22 20:12

Sorry for the bump, but I think it is worth it!
I've made an art of my own version based on this story, how I imagine it to be:

http://lapichon.deviantart.com/art/Weightless-309987974 .

:)

Polaris 2012-06-22 23:31

I like how childish and simple it is :)

You bumping the thread made me play that game posted by Darkflame again :D

Reek 2012-06-23 00:17

Sniff...so....so much gayness :`)

SpaceGuitarist 2012-06-23 00:49

Anakin: I'd rather call it innocence. :)

Polaris: Thanks! You've grasped the idea - to look like a page from a storybook for children.

Polaris 2012-06-23 00:50

Anakin, you don't have to be shy you know :p

Darkflame 2013-11-21 01:34

I am bumping this because, as has been pointing out on the TV thread....this idea was done as a movie;

http://www.myfilmviews.com/wp-conten...psidedown1.jpg
http://media.musicfeeds.com.au/files...ef-576x320.png
"UpsideDown "

Seems to make sense to discus it here.