the Magicball Network Forums

the Magicball Network Forums (https://forum.magicball.net/index.php)
-   Fan Games (https://forum.magicball.net/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A Little Adventure (https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=18120)

MonsieurKakis 2017-06-03 20:44

A Little Adventure

Hello everyone,
I'd like to show you a project I've been working on since a few month, it's kind of a lba prequel/spin-off. The story takes place before lba1, on the future "rebellion island"...and tells how it become the rebellion island (spoiler : no Twinsen involve).
The project is almost over, I just need to do some optimisation and correct some bugs and my terrible english...
For the technical aspect, I use the sounds, models and animations of lba1 (couldn't find a way to export those of lba2).

Tell me what you think !

Here's a preview :

MevX 2017-06-03 20:52

THIS LOOKS SUPER COOL!!

I'm definately digging the art style here. It looks like a modern version of what LBA 1 would look like today, but with a simple twist like you'd see with one of those modern art games. This is WAY too cool.

I'm would expand my thoughts on the preview some more, but i'm just busy at the moment. But this looks fantastic! I would love to get my hand on it, or help in anyway.

Edit: I WANT THAT MACHINE GUN

MevX 2017-06-03 20:54

What kind of engine is this?

Floppy 2017-06-03 21:10

That's amazing!! :D

Homeless 2017-06-03 23:34

HOLY COW! This is absolutely fascinating. I can't help but echo the sentiment of loving this art style you're going for, it really blends perfectly with the original models.

I'm hyped.

MonsieurKakis 2017-06-04 00:29

Glad you love the art style!
About the engine, it's custom made with directx and c++. It was kind of a bad choice when I think about it...(a real struggle to have enough fps, even with the low poly count...)
I have a question related to the game story (not so important, but...):
In lba1, you can read on proxima island that the "clones troops" made a "series of bombardments" on rebellion island. But how? Funfrock as some flying clones, but the whole aerial technology is not very present in lba. Maybe with artillery, but from where?

Polaris 2017-06-04 00:53

Whoaaah :eek:
I was like, "eh another cool-sounding project that will never see the light of day", but maaan... Looks awesome !
I love how you could import the models and animations from the original game ! Maybe the characters are a bit to dark ?

Also, is the boat in the beginning a motorboat ?

I am waiting impatiently for the release |)

Almost forgot, did you make the music as well ? Nice choice and very cool one :)

Darkflame 2017-06-04 01:15

Wow. Really cool work. Doubly so to do your own engine.
So much work to get even the basics.

Quote:

In lba1, you can read on proxima island that the "clones troops" made a "series of bombardments" on rebellion island. But how? Funfrock as some flying clones, but the whole aerial technology is not very present in lba. Maybe with artillery, but from where?
A long time ago I puzzled this, and decided Blimps of some sort.
Airplanes didnt quite seem to fit LBA for me.

MevX 2017-06-04 01:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 456435)
did you make the music as well ?

Description says its music by Kevin Mcleod

Polaris 2017-06-04 09:53

Oh... But was it composed espescially for the project ?

DF : Blimps... sound possible actually...

MonsieurKakis 2017-06-04 13:48

About the music, it's by Kevin McLeod. I don't know if you heard of him, but he makes a LOT of royalty-free music (https://incompetech.com/music/), which are often used in independant games, youtube video... You probably heard his work before.

kash 2017-06-04 19:58

Wow!! Amazing!!! If they ever make lba3 I hope it looks like this!

About the bombarding on rebellion island It's a mystery. You can see the bombs falling seemingly out of nowhere. Maybe the artillery is more probable since you can see artillery canons on the Himalayi. Although they fire different bombs. And if you check the holomap you can see that proxima and rebellion island are right next to each other.

Styx 2017-06-04 23:08

Dude!

Absolute BOMBSHELL to drop this on us all of a sudden, great job! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonsieurKakis (Post 456434)

How about a more advanced version of these clones?
http://twinsunica.waxo.nl/images/f/f...robo_clone.JPG

Also, if you want I could look over the english script for you and help you with the tougher lines

gravel22 2017-06-06 16:35

That's awesome, I can't wait to play this! I'll stream my playthrough on my LBA twitch channel!

leoboe 2017-06-06 17:02

Simply Wow!!
The visuals are stunning and I can't wait to play to get a glimpse of the story you're telling.

I don't want to sound nitpicky, but you may want to consider to diffuse the interior shadows (if your engine allows for that) or lighten them a bit. Harsh shadows look great outside because it's what we know from cloud-free days but inside a building it doesn't quite fit (especially at 1:35).

MonsieurKakis 2017-06-06 18:34

I know...the shadows were a real pain to code. I try to make it look soft/softer since the beginning, but I think it's beyond my knowledge. By the way, if you're good at HLSL and can give me some tips...

MonsieurKakis 2017-06-06 18:38

By the way, when I test it, it takes me about 25-30 min to finish the game. I wonder how much time a speed runner will take.

Angelus 2017-06-07 01:02

Great work :D I really like it. If you need some help with HLSL send me private message I should be able to help you with it.

MevX 2017-06-07 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonsieurKakis (Post 456470)
By the way, when I test it, it takes me about 25-30 min to finish the game. I wonder how much time a speed runner will take.

Give me a build and i'll tell you right away. ;)

MonsieurKakis 2017-06-07 01:53

soon

xesf 2017-06-07 21:59

Pretty nice game/engine you have there.
Interesting mix of Original assets and custom ones, it looks great.

Keep going and we know the results will be good.

Lupin 2017-06-07 22:36

Good job MonsieurKakis, kudos for having set realistic goals for yourself and bringing your project to near-completion. That's not something very common for fan projects.
Keep going through the last mile, good luck!

ChaosFish 2017-06-08 17:03

Just saw this. Holy cows it looks great!!! Let us know when we can play :c)

Bot13 2017-06-09 11:20

I am COMPLETELY in love with this. Absolutely amazing.

MonsieurKakis 2017-06-09 12:58

Ok...I think it's time for the first release. I spend the last week to correct some bugs but I guess there are many left.
I tested it on three different computers, so I'm confident it will work on yours. By the way, you need windows and directx 11 (It has only been tested on windows 10 but it should work on previous versions).
There is a readme in the archive, with extra informations.
Report the bugs/lags and tell me what you think! I hope you enjoy!

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/491...9104946/243d80

I'm also very curious about how much time it takes you to finish the game.