View Single Post
Old 2018-11-26, 10:23
leoboe's Avatar
leoboe leoboe is offline
Magic Ball Master
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,169
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Wow! Cool!

I don't know how things work over there in Germany, but how do you specialise for these two things in particular?

Like, here if you want to be a music teacher then you need a degree on music, that is it. If you want to be a teacher in general in schools, then pedagogy. But no such specialization specially including music since that's almost a different area than the other general fields (geography, languages, history, maths, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. which are covered by normal teachers).
In Germany pretty much every teacher specialises in 2 subjects (except for primary school teachers who have to cover pretty much all subjects but can still add e.g. music or sports). You study both your subjects on a pretty high academical level for your bachelor degree and then a shorter master degree that focuses a bit more on the psychological and educational part . After you have your master degree you start to work in school while still attending classes and finally learning to teach for 1,5 years and at last you have your final practical exam before you are a full fledged teacher.

On music as a school subject: We study music-education rather than music-performance. So we already focus more on how to teach music and get a little more systematic with the history and different genres. But we also study our regular instruments (which has to include piano) for 6 semesters and learn music-theory, hearing, conducting, etc. Most "full-music-students" like to look down on music-teachers but there are still very talented musicians among us.

this is where I am currently.

Last edited by leoboe; 2018-11-26 at 10:28.
Reply With Quote