Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2011-08-27, 17:03
Magic Ball Master

Fixed a few things in the German translation. I don't think "sauschwer" is an appropriate term to use. xP Some capitalization and comma issues as well.

@Frederick: There is a bug on the screen mode selection. I've attached an image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BestFit.jpg‎
Views:	86
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	8791  
Attached Files
File Type: txt bOxOn_text_DE.txt‎ (2.3 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Kobold; 2011-08-27 at 17:32.
Old 2011-08-27, 20:01
the legend

I noticed this "bug" too but thought it was on purpose to make the menus more interesting and/or mini-easter-eggs...

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-08-27, 20:30
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
why do stuff like this always happen when I'm on vacation?
Thanks for sharing this with us Mr. Raynal!

EDIT: Italian translation uploaded
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt bOxOn_text_IT.txt‎ (2.2 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Streg; 2011-08-27 at 21:04.
Old 2011-08-27, 21:30
weee

The universal font works great, thanks.

I reversed the Hebrew text and fixed some stuff so it now shows perfectly in Boxon:

(btw, just found out you can drag the menu items, nice touch!)
Attached Files
File Type: txt bOxOn_text_HE.txt‎ (2.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2011-08-27 at 21:37.
Old 2011-08-27, 22:13
~

I've just discovered that one Polish character is missing in a version with bOxOn font.
In the last part of the tutorial there is a "kocowe" instead of "końcowe" (it's ok in .txt file).
Old 2011-08-29, 12:58
Not really new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia View Post
I've just discovered that one Polish character is missing in a version with bOxOn font.
In the last part of the tutorial there is a "kocowe" instead of "końcowe" (it's ok in .txt file).
Yes I saw that. It's weird just one character is missing !!!

Are you sure this character is really used in your language ?

We are trying to add it manually. Is just the "ń" fine or do we need its uppercase version ?
Old 2011-08-29, 13:06
Not really new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
@Frederick: There is a bug on the screen mode selection. I've attached an image.
at the begining, you couldn't click on the menu buttons, you had to move them and I messed up a lot all boxonites on screen. Some players didn't find that from themselves. So I tried first to put the right color boxonite in front of each menu entry (except for one of them). But that was not sufficient so I decided to add a (regular) click on the buttons.
But then I can mess them up again, I'll see...
Old 2011-08-29, 13:07
Not really new

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Italian translation uploaded
Thanks, added for the next release.
Old 2011-08-29, 13:47
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
Yes I saw that. It's weird just one character is missing !!!

Are you sure this character is really used in your language ?

We are trying to add it manually. Is just the "ń" fine or do we need its uppercase version ?
Can't think of a word with an uppercase version of ń that you'll be using, or of any such word in fact :P So I guess a lowercase is all you need!
Old 2011-08-29, 18:36
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Can't think of a word with an uppercase version of ń that you'll be using, or of any such word in fact :P So I guess a lowercase is all you need!
Exactly.
Old 2011-08-29, 23:17
The return of

Argh, the day that I hop on a plane and leave my PC behind this gets released Bad bad timing (well, for me atleast).

Welcome back to the forums Fred! I hope to play Boxon (Boxels is my favorite alternate name, though mostly because my life revolves around voxels and simulating Eulerian fluids) as soon as my PC is delivered to me. Cant wait!

In the mean time, I was wondering, will it also be out for the iphone?

Thanks!
Old 2011-08-29, 23:35
weee

Oops, minor mistake in the Hebrew translation fixed.
Attached Files
File Type: txt bOxOn_text_HE.txt‎ (2.5 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2011-08-29 at 23:49.
Old 2011-08-30, 01:43
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Awesome!

Hi frederick! Really sooo much thanks for letting us have all this kinda insiders information and to give us the oppurtunity to help out with your game! Its awesome! Im quite sure this will be a hit on the app store, i guess everyone here will give it a 5 star review, so the popularity will come along greatly!

Furthermore i REALLY want to thank you for one of the greatest memories of my childhood, the LBA adventure, it is without any doubt the most amazing game ive ever played in my life,

Sorry i couldnt help out that much, but i was also on vacation...

Thanks for your gamed F. We love them!

And i think i certainky not speak for myself alone as 'the lba fan-forum' we will always be there for you!

Let me know if i can assist you with anything at all

Yannick (netherlands)
Old 2011-09-07, 17:41
Not really new

Hello everybody !

There is a new version of bOxOn Lite you can download

Don't forget to delete all *.png and bOxOn_text_*.txt in the directory: c:/Users/"your_user_name"/AppData/Roaming/bOxOn (for Win7 users, I don't remember where is this directory on XP?))
This directory is created at the first run. Languages files are copied at every launch only if they don't exist in this directory (to be able to keep user changes if any)

- All languages files you gave me are included BUT:

- I modified French & English version to change pieces name to boxonite ! so you can modify your language file and send it back, please. And then we'll have the release candidate version !

- there is only the bOxOn font included, so Hebrew and Chinese are not shown in the list until you add whatever font you like (that got your characters set) from your Windows/Fonts directory into the c:/.../Roaming/bOxOn directory
(Universal fonts are too huge and lead to crash with some system. If you want to have all languages working (and if your system can handle it) look for a universal unicode font like Cyberbit.ttf)

I'll add credits on the official web page for those who participate here. Send me private message to tell me what name/pseudo/link you want.

cheers
Old 2011-09-07, 17:56
Not really new

Oups I forgot,

Many thanks to Odysseus for the boxonite name, and just the idea of having a name for them.
I chose this one because of its "uniqueness" (does that word exist ?) in google. Boxon means too many things (as you noticed ). boxonite leads to MBN as the second link in google for a total of 5 links !
Old 2011-09-07, 18:38
weee

Nice! I like Boxonites!

Added to the Hebrew translation (attached). I think this Hebrew font is perfect for it: http://openfontlibrary.org/font/retro-perspective (looks great in the game) and it uses an Open Font License so there shouldn't be copyright issues. The font file is only 20kb, maybe it can be merged with the game font somehow?
Edit: I noticed it doesn't include Latin characters so the non-Hebrew words (like Ludoïd) aren't shown in the credits.

I don't know if it matters but I noticed the English translation (and some others) starts with "{ language name FR"
(instead of EN/etc.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt bOxOn_text_HE.txt‎ (2.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2011-09-07 at 18:48.
Old 2011-09-07, 19:10
~

The game automatically displays in "windowed" mode. I can't use it on my laptop because of that. The window appears in the top of the screen - it's not long enough to enable me to use the whole menu. I've tried to move it or change its size, but neither of these helped.
In the "Display" menu there are 3 options, but the last one can't be seen in "windowed" mode on my computer, so I can choose only between "windowed" and "centered". I've tried to switch to "centered" but the screen turned black and I had to close the game using taskmgr.

Is there any possibility to choose "best fit" mode for the first launch?

-

I've changed "klocki" to "Boxonity" (nouns need to be inflected in Polish), added a few dots and commas and edited one sentence - I think it sounds better now...

There's still one thing that doesn't look good in Polish version - a few names of menu options don't fit the size of buttons (for example "wyśrodkowany", which is a long word).
Attached Files
File Type: txt bOxOn_text_PL.txt‎ (2.2 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Kasia; 2011-09-07 at 22:16.
Old 2011-09-07, 20:31
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

New file uploaded. Added the "Boxonite" word and corrected two mistakes. It's a pleasure to help.

anyways, I had my family play this game. My mother is an assiduos tetris player, and my brother and I used to play The Incredible Machines for years. All of us finished the game but the common comment was that some levels were too hard to be the first levels. My question is: are these levels the official first 5, or they're supposed to be random levels of the game? If they're really the first levels I think that some easier levels should be inserted along the way, in order to light the interest in the players, that will be more willing of beating an harder level. Take The incredible Machines for exemple: the first 20 levels I think were really easy, even lame. That was a bit exagerated, some leves could be even boring for how easy they were, but I think that it helps involving the player in the game. Just a few easier levels should do. That's just an advice from a videogame player who would love to see this get an high rating on famous review sites and houndreds of thousands of downloads.
Attached Files
File Type: txt bOxOn_text_IT.txt‎ (2.3 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Streg; 2011-09-07 at 21:33.
Old 2011-09-07, 21:41
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Hi Fred! Here's the new Hungarian translation which includes 'boxonites'. Also, I changed 'boxonite' to 'boxonit' (without the 'e') in the Hungarian version, beacuse this way it fits better to similar Hungarian words ('graphite' is spellt as 'grafit' for example).

Quote:
anyways, I had my family play this game. My mother is an assiduos tetris player, and my brother and I used to play The Incredible Machines for years. All of us finished the game but the common comment was that some levels were too hard to be the first levels. My question is: are these levels the official first 5, or they're supposed to be random levels of the game? If they're really the first levels I think that some easier levels should be inserted along the way, in order to light the interest in the players, that will be more willing of beating an harder level. Take The incredible Machines for exemple: the first 20 levels I think were really easy, even lame. That was a bit exagerated, some leves could be even boring for how easy they were, but I think that it helps involving the player in the game. Just a few easier levels should do. That's just an advice from a videogame player who would love to see this get an high rating on famous review sites and houndreds of thousands of downloads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
In the full version there are 553 levels starting very easier than the first level from lite version (babies can play it and having fun), the fifth level is around level 300, meaning the 553rd level is a nightmare ! But globaly it means that you have a lot of levels for equivalent difficulty of each lite version level.
Attached Files
File Type: txt bOxOn_text_HU.txt‎ (2.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 2011-09-07, 23:52
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Oh i missed that part :P Good then
Old 2011-09-08, 00:01
Not really new

Quote:
Oh i missed that part :P Good then
more details: original levels number (from the full version)

257 (this one is not very well numbered, it should be closer to 300)
Old 2011-09-08, 00:04
Not really new

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Added to the Hebrew translation (attached). I think this Hebrew font is perfect for it: http://openfontlibrary.org/font/retro-perspective (looks great in the game) and it uses an Open Font License so there shouldn't be copyright issues. The font file is only 20kb, maybe it can be merged with the game font somehow?
Edit: I noticed it doesn't include Latin characters so the non-Hebrew words (like Ludoïd) aren't shown in the credits.

I don't know if it matters but I noticed the English translation (and some others) starts with "{ language name FR"
(instead of EN/etc.)
1 thanks
2 I don't think I will include other fonts
3 You're right (fixed) but { means comment so it didn't matter
Old 2011-09-08, 00:08
Not really new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia View Post
The game automatically displays in "windowed" mode. I can't use it on my laptop because of that.
Is there any possibility to choose "best fit" mode for the first launch?

I've changed "klocki" to "Boxonity" (nouns need to be inflected in Polish), added a few dots and commas and edited one sentence - I think it sounds better now...

There's still one thing that doesn't look good in Polish version - a few names of menu options don't fit the size of buttons (for example "wyśrodkowany", which is a long word).
Hello Kasia

1 yes there is a solution. (I need to write that down on the web page.)
Goto the directory where language files and profile are stored. for Win7 I wrote it in some post upper, but for XP I don't remember. OK I check now, I'll be back later
Old 2011-09-08, 01:14
Not really new

... OK

On WinXP the bOxOn user directory is created here:
C:/Documents & Settings/your_username/Application Data/bOxOn

So run the game once, press the ESC key to exit if you can't see Exit.

double clic on the file bOxOn_User_Profile.txt, the Notepad should open.

Code:
"Screen Mode" = 0 { 0:windowed, 1:Full screen centered, 2:full screen best fit

{ Good screen resolutions: 640x448:56, 804x592:74, 1024x768:96, 1344,1024:128, 1564x1200:150

"Resolution X" = 1024 { 10 * Block_Size + 64(SideBar) = 1024
"Resolution Y" = 768 { 8 * block_size = 768
"Block Size" = 96 { should be an even number

"Display Quality" = 0 { 0:automatic, 1:Low details, 2:High details
So you just have to modify Screen Mode value 0 to 2. Exit Notepad, say Yes to save changes, and run the game again it will be full screen.

If you want a little window, modify Resolution X & Y and block size (hey ! that should be boxonite size !) to 640, 448 & 56 for instance. Use one of the listed good resolutions

If your machine is not very fast (or no dedicated video hardware) you can also set the Display Quality to 1 (automatic is not working well) or go to the menu Display then Quality then choose Low in the game.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:27
Not really new

And a last one for today:

If you press Return you enter a special keyboard mode.
Then you can play the game with only 5 keys:

SPACE or RETURN to grab a boxonite,
cursor arrows for moving the boxonite.

Next levels are automatically incremeting (unplayed levels)