Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-01-24, 06:56

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
ACTA - Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

This is a treaty that's been trying to slip its way into the world while everyone has been focusing attention on SOPA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Co...rade_Agreement

Quote:
With the world still talking about the aftermath of the SOPA/PIPA Blackout Day, Polish netizens are confronted with another backstabbing development in the fight for free Internet.

On January 19, 2012, during a meeting with NGOs and business representatives, the Polish government announced [pl] that it would sign the controversial anti-piracy agreement ACTA on January 26. While the governement calls it a success [pl] of the Polish EU Presidency, netizens are outraged with the arbitrary decision and are calling to take action against the proposal.

ACTA, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, is a proposed plurilateral agreement for the purpose of establishing international standards on intellectual property rights enforcement. According to La Quadrature du Net and other globally active digital rights organisations, such as Electronic Frontier Foundation or European Digital Rights, ACTA would impose new criminal sanctions forcing Internet actors to monitor and censor online communications. Creating legal uncertainty for Internet companies, ACTA would become a major threat to freedom of expression online and another assault against the culture of sharing on the Internet.
I don't know how aware everyone is regarding ACTA, but with all the hype going on about SOPA, I thought it wouldn't hurt to keep the European freedom fighters aware.
Old 2012-01-24, 14:14
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
-sigh-
[insert waves of depression here]

Give me a clear target to fight and I'll fight. But this is like fighting a hydra.
Old 2012-01-24, 14:43
weee

Quote:
The Hydra was killed by Heracles and his nephew. They knew what the hydra could do with its heads and Heracles cut them off while his nephew burned the stumps. The immortal head is still under the rock that Heracles put it under to keep it hidden.
So, not impossible.
Old 2012-01-24, 15:22
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
So, not impossible.
Odysseus killed a hydra I do think....

Anyway

https://www.laquadrature.net/en/vide...ed-take-action

http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/How...t_against_ACTA

Viva lalala

Also what they mention under the second link:
Quote:
Another important and complimentary way to act against ACTA is to inform people, making sure as many people as possible know about ACTA and how bad it is. It may sound obvious, but people can only want to act against ACTA if they are aware of its dangers.
Because we might be somewhat aware of these things. But it's better when more people know what they can do.

And as for it being a "never ending battle". I guess thats what democracy is. Democracy isnt some place you were born in. Not some static happy utopian system. Rather it's a direction or aim, and comes in many degrees and flavors. One thing it does need is engaged citizenship. And, in that sense it's indeed never ending, I guess.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225

Last edited by Odysseus; 2012-01-24 at 15:48.
Old 2012-01-25, 01:28
Polly parrot

They say, call your representatives... What should I say then ? I cannot argue against someone who thought that up and has a speech ready to counter everything I can say...
(I'm not saying that I can't do anything, I'm asking for help)
Old 2012-01-25, 02:58

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
The idea isn't to argue with your representative. The idea is to voice your opinion.

Your representative is just that: someone who represents the voice of the people. That's all you need to say. That and a few words about civil liberties. Anyway, according to that article, Poland will be signing the treaty tomorrow.
Old 2012-01-25, 05:54
Do the evolution.

Yes, despite a few thousand people protesting, and nearly a million people protesting in the web, the PM has empowered the Polish ambassador to Japan to sign the agreement. However after that, it has to be ratified by the parliament, and then signed by the president.

Seeing how there are 5 parties in the parliament, and only the two who are in coalition/in power right now are for this, there's a chance it will not be ratified.

Meanwhile there was a few thousand people protesting in Warsaw yesterday, and they'll continue protesting today. Also, Anonymous is ddosing and hacking government related sites.
Old 2012-01-25, 12:26
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
They say, call your representatives... What should I say then ? I cannot argue against someone who thought that up and has a speech ready to counter everything I can say...
(I'm not saying that I can't do anything, I'm asking for help)
Like Lightwing said. Just voice your opinion.

And even if you don't feel like you have much to tell the representatives you can just keep up to date by reading related news and spread what you know to co-students/workers, family and friends.
Perhaps its a good idea to make clear it is important to you, but don't make them tired of it.. Also don't claim things about it you don't actually know. Just warm them up a little. So that if they are interested one way or the other they can look into it themselves.

It's good to tell "non-internet" people of these things since the "TV news" is happy to stay away from laws and treatys in the making. Usually only briefly report after the job is done really.

Aha - just noticed petitions spreading and growing world wide.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2012-01-25, 14:56
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Also, Anonymous is ddosing
I always wonder if this helps with anything, I mean, so what if it gets servers down for a while, it serves as a protest but does it really have any effect for them/do they really care?

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-01-25, 15:41
weee

They make themselves look like terrorists, with these masks and all. Violence is not the answer.
Old 2012-01-25, 16:06
the hobbits to Otringal

Hehe, and the masks are owned by Time Warner. It's like funding both sides.

In the Netherlands it seems populair thought that a ddos is just the online version of a "sit-in" protest. If you view it like that it would not be considered violence. Altough some kids were picked up from their homes by police last year because they had a role in it.

But yeah, the resent apparent actions. Even just calling, or declaring, it a "war" by some claimed anon outlets... I don't like those rhetorics at all. They just feed into the same feelings as for example fox news would be feeding.

The more controversy: the more some of the matters might spill into public awareness. On the other hand publicity is a double-edged sword. Without guiding the "conversation" towards the important ellements it can be easely be used as distraction. Or even show to be rather counterproductive.

Last edited by Odysseus; 2012-01-25 at 16:18.
Old 2012-01-25, 18:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I always wonder if this helps with anything, I mean, so what if it gets servers down for a while, it serves as a protest but does it really have any effect for them/do they really care?
Depends on their targets.
In this case what they do is nearly useless, however for more corporate targets they can end up costing them a lot of money &or force them into having tighter security.
They also have been at times leaking data out that proved usefull later.

So it really depends.
Id mostly stick up for anom when it comes to their actions against, say, Scientology. For stuff like Sony I'm ambivalent on, and for stuff like this is probably doesn't help.