Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic > International
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

International The place where English is not the main spoken language

Old 2016-07-18, 19:28
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
日本語 (Japanese)

日本からみんなさん、ようこそ!ここには、日本語でどうぞ。私は、日本 であるません、でも日本を話すことができます。
Everyone from Japan, welcome! Here, you can feel free to speak Japanese. I am not Japanese but I can speak Japanese.

Last edited by Battler; 2016-07-18 at 19:36.
Old 2016-07-18, 19:29
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Is there a word filter or something? For some reason, the 人 character in the post above above became garbled.

Edit: But it's fine in this post. Test: 日本人で.

Edit: Again fine... no idea why then it's getting garbled in the post above.

Last edited by Battler; 2016-07-18 at 19:37.
Old 2016-07-18, 20:48
Welcome to Zirla!

And now half of my first post is gone.
Old 2016-07-20, 15:58
Neko

Can you reproduce the error?

Or have any idea what the issue is?
Old 2016-07-28, 21:54
Welcome to Zirla!

Let me test again: 日本からみんなさん、ようこそ!ここには、日本語でどうぞ。私は、日本 ��であるません、でも日本を話すことができます。
Old 2016-07-28, 21:55
Welcome to Zirla!

Now it's even more screwed up. I think the forum database's encoding needs to be change to UTF-8.
Old 2016-07-28, 22:50
Neko

I dont have sql acces unfortunately....
Old 2016-08-05, 19:29
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Well, let's take comfort in the fact that it doesn't really matter since no one ever comes here anymore.
Old 2016-08-27, 23:31
Polly parrot

Reek, don't you know that it doesn't matter ? It must work, where it's useful or not is beside the point
Old 2016-10-25, 06:31
Welcome to Zirla!

I found the issue: After the Japanese text is converted to UTF-8, the offending part has these characters: 人 . But for some reason, vBulletin changes them to � �� when rendering them. It does seem like vBulletin isn't liking that particular sequence of bytes.
Edit: And every time that sequence appears, it gets reencoded, so if the borked text is passed, it gets even more borked. Maybe there's a word filter that's messing things up?

The weird thing is that when I click edit post, the text is fine there. So it only gets borked when the thread is shown to the user. Test: 日本の人, 日本人で.
日本からみんなさん、ようこそ!ここには、日本語でどうぞ。私は、日本a 人であるません、でも日本を話すことができます。

Edit #2: It screws up the text if a specific combination of characters is in a specific position in the line. Above, I added one space, and the mess up went away.

Edit #3: It has to be any non-ASCII character at that specific position in the line. Specifically, the first 33 characters are fine, but if the 34th character is non-ASCII, it gets messed up.

Edit #4: Look at this line, you will see a space in the middle of it, even though there should be none:
abcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghij abcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghijabcdefghij

So basically, when vBulletin thinks there's a very long live without spaces, it automatically inserts one. The problem is, Japanese text has no spaces (neither does Chinese text for that matter), and probably because the database encoding is not set correctly, it inserts the space in the middle of multiple bytes encoding such a character, messing it up. Most likely, it's designed to prevent spuriously long lines from messing up the layout, and it's doing things wrong because the database encoding is not set right, causing the vBulletin backend to interpret the characters as most likely ISO 8859-1 (Latin I / Western Europe) rather than the correct UTF-8.
In short, elmuerte needs to change the database encoding to UTF-8. Until he does, it is best to manually insert a space where you see a mess up occurring.

Last edited by Battler; 2016-10-25 at 18:12.