Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2011-10-22, 13:00
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
bought it through MBN man, I feel so warm and fuzzy now ^_^
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2011-10-23, 03:08
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
For some reason they didn't like the W key for action/talk and replaced it with z :P
This is never ending problem of french games/keyboards. The z and w are swapped compared to the english ones (in fact, the first few letters are AZERTY). And for some reason, for me, this game doesn't consider my keyboard as a french one, even if I input "keyb fr" in DOSBOX, moreover, in the game options, it's written that Z is normalaction (where your W is), but I need to press W (where your Z is). I think it was always Z which was intended to do that, but the game considered your keyboard as french, and you had to press W (where the Z is on the french keyboard).

It is very annoying when in a first person view game you need to change the controls the first time, in order for the goforward button not behind the gobackward button.
Old 2011-10-23, 06:57
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
By the way, another key I found that was different than the usual was the key to rotate the camera 90 degrees. I remember it being ' , but in the DOS version it's Backspace.
Old 2011-10-23, 10:11
Master of Science & Magic

it has always been backspace for as far as I know
Old 2011-10-23, 11:29
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
yup, backspace here too (I mean what I always had, not this version in particular)
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2011-10-23, 13:14
You what?!

Bought. There's a few artwork pieces in there I don't recognise and the design sketches are fun. The wallpaper is pretty nice as well, it looks like it might have been made up just for this release?
Old 2011-10-24, 20:13
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
I don't like the wallpaper at all :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
yup, backspace here too (I mean what I always had, not this version in particular)
I always used the enter key
Old 2011-10-24, 20:21
Polly parrot

To rotate the camera ? Enter re-centers it behind Twinsen...
Old 2011-10-24, 20:28
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
By the way, it's kind of weird that when you exit your house for the first time, Zoe tells you that you can change the perspective by pressing Enter. And if you press it immediately without moving, the angle will change to something very weird, because there is a wall right behind Twinsen's back.
Old 2011-10-25, 00:54
Magic Ball Master

Bought it today. Amazing extra content. Its funny all those years and there is a lot of extra that we never get hands on.

Next step will be releasing its source code!!

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-10-25, 02:47
Dark lord

Send a message via AIM to SW2GAMER
I got it as well. Classic.
Question: So I am at the part in which you are in the alien base in the Temple of Bu and you have to board a ship, but the game will not let me kill the Franc at the end of the electrified bridge for some reason. So, what do i do?
Old 2011-10-25, 02:54
You what?!

Sounds like you've gone ahead too soon in the game. Make a separate thread though in General forum!
Old 2011-10-25, 12:13
Previously Link

So, I read the script, and there are some difference with the actual story told in game.
There are some big differences in particular when Twinsen goes to Zeelish for the first time.
There are also some extra inventory objects we were supposed to get, but never appeared in the final version. I'm not gonna bother translating this one though, would be too long.
Most of the changes made to the final version are improvements. Some changes though were probably made because they didn't have enough time to implement some features.

There are also some explanations about how the children have some magical power in them, which funfrock wanted to use to channel the magical energy from the Sendells (with the help of the mages). I'm not sure this is made clear in the game. The script seems to insist on this aspect though.
Old 2011-10-25, 12:13
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
Bought it today. Amazing extra content. Its funny all those years and there is a lot of extra that we never get hands on.

Next step will be releasing its source code!!
Indeed, source code would be awesome !
Old 2011-10-25, 14:33
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
There are also some explanations about how the children have some magical power in them, which funfrock wanted to use to channel the magical energy from the Sendells (with the help of the mages). I'm not sure this is made clear in the game. The script seems to insist on this aspect though.
Yeah, that's not clear in the game at all. If I remember rightly, Funfrock just says that the children were necessary to lure the wizards there, I assumed to rescue them!
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2011-10-25, 15:04
You what?!

They possibly changed that part of the story too because I'm certain that there was never anything magical about the children.
Old 2011-10-25, 21:54
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
They possibly changed that part of the story too because I'm certain that there was never anything magical about the children.
I think there wasn't enough time to "add" magical powers to the children at the last minute.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2011-10-25, 22:00
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I think they changed it because it didn't really make sense. I'm happy they didn't include it in the final version. Why would all the children have magical attributes?

However, there are some interesting parts which were changed, for example the original script didn't include the dissidents plotline, and Twinsen was to gain the trust of the Mosquibees by saving one of them.
Old 2011-10-25, 22:26
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
I think they changed it because it didn't really make sense. I'm happy they didn't include it in the final version. Why would all the children have magical attributes?

However, there are some interesting parts which were changed, for example the original script didn't include the dissidents plotline, and Twinsen was to gain the trust of the Mosquibees by saving one of them.
"One" of them? the most important one lol... The queen, she's awsome. She makes her head rollover when she gets hit. Who does that?!
But you may be right too, I agree it doesn't really make sense if those kids would be magical. Only some wizards and our protagonist (and Twinsen's ancestors) are.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2011-10-25, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
"One" of them? the most important one lol... The queen, she's awsome. She makes her head rollover when she gets hit. Who does that?!
But you may be right too, I agree it doesn't really make sense if those kids would be magical. Only some wizards and our protagonist (and Twinsen's ancestors) are.
I was talking about the script which comes with the GOG.com version. It's only in French and I used Google Translate to read it in English. It says:
Quote:
En explorant les pitons rocheux à leur base, Twinsen rencontre une petite tribu : les Mosquibees. En fait, Twinsen va avoir l’occasion de sauver la vie de l’officiant des Mosquibees qui s’est fait esquinter par un monstre. En échange de quoi les Mosquibees vont transformer la sarbacane de Twinsen en Sarbatron et lui indiquer un passage secret qui va lui permettre de rejoindre la surface de l'îlot CX.
I don't think it says he has to save the queen of the Mosquibees. Although I may be wrong, since I don't speak French.
Old 2011-10-25, 23:27
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Google translate says:

Quote:
By exploring the rocky peaks at their base, a small tribe Twinsen meeting: the Mosquibees. In fact, Twinsen will have the opportunity to save the life of the priest who became Mosquibees the wreck by a monster. In exchange for the Mosquibees will transform the blowpipe in Twinsen Sarbatron and tell him a secret passage that will enable it to reach the surface of the island CX.
It seems a lot has changed from that.. I don't recall a Mosquibee priest, only the Wannies one. I don't understand what they mean with "whoe became Mosquibees the wreck", but that's the translation..

Old 2011-10-25, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
Google translate says:

It seems a lot has changed from that.. I don't recall a Mosquibee priest, only the Wannies one. I don't understand what they mean with "whoe became Mosquibees the wreck", but that's the translation..
Yeah, that's kinda strange. Also, as I said before, the whole subplot with the dissidents (Rick, Johnny Rocket, etc.) is missing. This means they weren't in the original script and they were added later -- originally you had to retrieve the laser pistol from the armoury of the astroport.
Old 2011-10-25, 23:46
Polly parrot

"Who became Mosquibees the wreck", the text means "A mosquibee priest who was wrecked by a monster". And there is a mosquibee priest in the game, the one who is guarding the chest with the fragment in it.
Old 2011-10-26, 00:06
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
"Who became Mosquibees the wreck", the text means "A mosquibee priest who was wrecked by a monster". And there is a mosquibee priest in the game, the one who is guarding the chest with the fragment in it.
I thought about that one, however, I didn't remember him being a priest. Anyway, I also figured it must mean something like "being eaten by" or something, like the Francos burgemaster/mayor. And this mosquibee at the fragment chest doesn't look much dead to me lol.
Must be something else, or the plot must've been different.

Old 2011-10-26, 00:08

It probably means Twinsen has to save a Mosquibee priest which is attacked by a monster.