Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2005-02-26, 12:25
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Old 2005-02-26, 12:28
weee

Try to install LBA2 with the regular windows installation. Then try to launch it with DOSBox.

But did you try the LBA2 winXP patch? You might not need DOSBox.
Old 2005-02-26, 12:38

i use win98, i can launch lba2 normal but when i go to desert island it crashes

i have never tried making the sun appear first, but i dont know if this will resolve the problem. and i am trying various ways to go to desert island without bugs.
Old 2005-02-26, 12:43
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
How about playing normally? (saving the lighthouse keeper, that is)
Old 2005-02-26, 13:10

another problem: i saved Ralph(the lighthouse keeper) and when i was taking zoe back the same bug (blue error screen) occurred
Old 2005-02-26, 13:34
weee

Well, did you try installing it from windows and running it from DOSBox?
Old 2005-02-26, 13:37

i installed lba2 again in the DOS mode(not dosbox) and.. it still dont work, its the same error.
Old 2005-02-26, 13:45
weee

Just copy the "LBA2" folder from the LBA2 cd to your "C:\LBA" folder. Maybe this will work.
Old 2005-02-26, 14:09

no, its not working ... i should format mt PC and reinstall...
Old 2005-02-26, 14:20
weee

Don't format your PC just for that though
Old 2005-03-09, 12:32

I had a problem installing LBA2. I use a AMD XP 2000+ with windows xp installed. I tried every step in dosbox and it wouldn't work (dos box 0.63 and 0.60). I then found by chance the link to the g force 2 patch and now I can run LBA 2 directly from win xp. But then another problem occured. The game crashes whenever one mission completes(and followed by cutscenes). I thought it was only for the time I save Ralph the lighthouse keeper. When I walked out of the cave with Zoe the game crashed right before the aliens landing cutscene. Then I found a site with savegames of different parts of the game. Those seemed to work too(Had found a savegame that continued the game right after the allien landing) But when I got off the Island and off to dessert Island it crashed again. I then tried another savegame to see if this was a pattern and the game crashed again after getting on the spaceship (with the travel token). Any ideas pls help me. The folders on the cd are: Drivers, Help, Music, Save, Splash, Video so I can't do what Chaos fish said. Help pls.
Old 2005-03-09, 15:52
weee

My guess is that your CD is scratched or so. I don't think it's related to DOSBox.
Old 2005-03-09, 18:01
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- shh: Yes, you can. In ChaosFish's guide, just replace the LBA2\INSTALL.EXE with DOS\INSTALL.EXE. For the Windows install, just replace the LBA2\SETUP.EXE with W95\SETUP.EXE (if you have the Brazilian version, then you have the folders W95E (English), W95P (Portuguese), and W95S (Spanish); run the SETUP.EXE file from one of these; the DOS install is the same, as in the U.S. one, for the only difference, that in the Brazilian version, it gives you the option to select the written language (which is also the setup language) for the game).
Old 2005-03-09, 18:10
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- ChaosFish: You should specify, that one has to change to the DOS folder on the CD, if he/she has Twinsen's Odyssey, and not LBA 2. Also, you should specify the defauly folder for the game C:\TWINSEN, if one has Twinsen's Odyssey, so to make it clearer to the American and Asian users.
Old 2005-03-09, 18:28
weee

Why? They can run both TO/LBA2 in "LBA2" folder. There doesn't need to be folder named "Twinsen".
Old 2005-03-09, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
My guess is that your CD is scratched or so. I don't think it's related to DOSBox.
The CD may be just fine considering I am not running the game from cd but directly from hard drive.(And also the cd contained the same files and folders as the game itself. It said to copy it on hard drive and play it.) The reason the game didn't run under DOS-Box is unfamilliar to me, but considering it had the same files and folders as the installed game I don't see it as such a big deal that it couldn't find the cd: it said: Please insert the cd in the cd-rom drive and then that I have to have the cd in order to play the game. In windows the cd-rom wasn't required but since I have g FORCE 2 the patch was a must. Now... does anybody know a way to bypass the cutscenes or to see them as separate movies.. or just to see if those cutscenes even exist within the game directory.. wich.. I repeat is the same as the the cd!!
The only executable files in the game are:
setsound.exe
dos4gw.exe
twinsen.exe
splash.exe
register.exe
help.exe
and now since I had installed patch.exe(g force patch)
i also have backup.exe
There aren't any setup.exe or install.exe
The only folders I have are:
DRIVERS, HELP, MUSIC, SAVE, SPLASH,VIDEO and VOX.
Again.... help pls.
Old 2005-03-10, 09:29
Welcome to Zirla!

- shh: On your CD, go in the DOS folder (from under DOSBox), and type INSTALL.

- ChaosFish: 1. You should specify, that one has to change into the directory DOS before typing INSTALL on the CD, if he/she has TO, and not LBA 2. TO doesn't have the INSTALL.EXE under the root directory, or under TWINSEN. This first. Even if you don't consider the second thing, at least consider this. I even made this thread about the contents of the CDs of the various LBA 2/TO versions around. I myself posted contents for the Brazilian, U.S., European, and April 1997 version of the game. So, please specify, that the install has to be ran from the DOS folder, in case of TO.
2. The default folder for the installation of TO is TWINSEN, and I find it unreasonable for someone to change it to LBA2. But it's optional.
Old 2005-03-10, 11:42

[QUOTE=OBrasilo]- shh: On your CD, go in the DOS folder (from under DOSBox), and type INSTALL.

!!!!! Read my post again. !!!!! What you say has no meaning considering that I specified the folders on the cd.. and the ones that you mentioned just aren't there. Same with the install.exe and setup exe. How do you expect to run a program that just isn't there?!? If it helps, in game it says:

Twinsen's Oddysey version 1.0
1997 Adeline Software international
Old 2005-03-10, 15:26
weee

Obras: thanks, updated the guide

shh: Sorry... I don't know..
Old 2005-03-10, 15:50
Welcome to Zirla!

- shh: Go to your CD. Be sure you're in the root directory of it. If you aren't, type CD \. Then type CD DOS, and then type [INSTALL].

Also, to make it easier for me to help you, post the contents of your CD, in this thread.
Old 2005-03-10, 15:51
Welcome to Zirla!

Edit: Type INSTALL, and not [INSTALL].
Old 2005-03-10, 15:57
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh
The folders on the cd are: Drivers, Help, Music, Save, Splash, Video so I can't do what Chaos fish said. Help pls.
Hmmm... that combination of folders in the installed version of the game (except for "VIDEO"). So if you have those folders, including the "VIDEO" on your CD, then you have an illegal version of the game. I won't support it, so I'll just say: you can't run this version under DOS, if I'm not wrong. If I'm not wrong, the illegal version only has the Windows executable fixed, so sorry, no DosBOX for you.

But if you don't have that on the CD, and you just mixed everything up (which is also possible, but the "VIDEO" makes me suspect of an illegal version), then follow my step.
Old 2005-03-15, 13:53

That is entirely possible. So.. you can't help I guess.
Old 2005-03-15, 18:12
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh
That is entirely possible. So.. you can't help I guess.
Unfortuantely, we don't support rips here at the MBN, so we won't help you. But believe me, we would very much like to help you.
Old 2005-03-17, 02:28
Boobs!

does anyone have DOSBox experties in linux?

I want to run lba2 but i cant!

Tags
dosbox