Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2006-08-09, 17:08
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Have tried it, thanks ... It runs a bit better but it is still lagging ...

The game is lagging when -too many- things happen like: 'Twinsen getting attacked', or 'Twinsen entering a new room', or 'Twinsen driving in his car', or 'Twinsen using items', or even 'Twinsen running'... The music is stopping and beginning again and the screen freezes and sometimes I just end up in the water because I was close to it *slams my fists into the keyboard* ...
Old 2006-08-09, 17:29
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
None of these things ever happened to me...

In fact I don't think I ever had any problems with running LBA 2 under Windows XP.
Old 2006-08-09, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
None of these things ever happened to me...

In fact I don't think I ever had any problems with running LBA 2 under Windows XP.
Haha Now it works! I thought I should download the patch and run it through DOSBOX, I wasn't supposed to do that..
I just had to install the game the nonDOSBOX-way and download n' install the patch and then it worked without problems.. Thanks for the patch!
Old 2006-08-09, 19:03
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
yep , try this patch http://www.magicball.net/disknode/ge...h.zip?download That's why I never used DosBox . I didn't know you never used the patch
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2006-11-05, 12:57
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Instructions for Japanese LBA 1:

Run Japanese LBA 1
  1. After you inserted the Japanese LBA 1 disc, write this (only the bold part of this) inside DOSBox:
    mount d E:\ (assuming E: is your Japanese LBA 1 CD) -t cdrom -label UNTITLED -ioctl -usecd 0 [Enter]
    mount c C:\lba (or any other folder, but you must first create this folder outside of DOSBox) (this is the main LBA folder, inside it there'll be 'LBAJ' folder)[Enter]
    D: [Enter]
    install [Enter]
  2. Now you are inside of the LBA1 installer which is controlled by the "Up", "Down" and "Enter" keys.
    Choose your language.
    Choose "Hard Disk Installation"
    Choose "C:"
    Change the directory name so there will be written "C:\LBAJ"
    Choose "Music Sound Card Configuration", choose "Sound Blaster Pro 1 (OPL2)", choose "220"
    Choose "FX Sound Card Configuration", choose "Sound Blaster Pro 1", choose "220", choose "7", choose "1"
    Choose "Speech Configuration", choose "Keep Speech Files on Hard Disk" (there should be YES written at the end of this line now)
    Choose "Save Parameters", then Quit to Dos
  3. Now, outside of DOSBox, copy the folder "VOX" from the Japanese LBA 1 cd to the folder which you installed Japanese LBA 1 in. If you don't want to copy all VOX files, just copy the Japanese VOX files in your language from the CD VOX folder to the LBA 1 installation VOX folder. They're all files starting with "FR_".
  4. Now, in DOSBox, type:
    C:[Enter]
    cd\lbaj[Enter]
    LBAJ
Voila! The game should run now!
Now to the fun part. (this is for Windows, I don't know how to do this with Linux)
Create a new shortcut (by right-mouse-click -> new -> shortcut). Type your DOSBox path and your parameters. Here's an example:
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.exe" -c "mount d E:\ -t cdrom -label UNTITLED -ioctl -usecd 0" -c "mount c C:\lba" -c "C:" -c "cd\lbaj" -c "lbaj" -c "exit" if you want to start in full screen, you can add: -fullscreen
Now all you need is to do is launch this shortcut you just made, and LBA1 will be launched with DOSBox!

So, for anyone who has Japanese LBA 1, now knows how to get it to run under DOSBox.
Old 2006-11-05, 13:20
weee

Thanks for the information OBrasilo!
Old 2006-11-05, 13:52
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- ChaosFish: You're welcome. I'm always glad to help.
Old 2007-03-06, 05:28

Send a message via MSN to Kieran11
Twinsen LBA-With a Dosbox on a Mac OS X

Hello Chaosfish!

Your guide has proved to be most helpful with installing LBA (my favorite oldie ever) on countless PC's. Recently I acquired an Intel based Mac running OS X Tiger. Being scared of computers half the time, I have limited knowledge on how many of these things work. Could you outline the steps for a Mac user? You may have to simplify many terms and explanations due to my limited experience.

Here are some of my problems:

I acquired a Dosbox(v.0.70) and it seems to work, but how to I add the little addition from your post? there seems to me No dosbox folder! It seemed to work right after I extracted it.

Secondly I decided to charge ahead, to see how far I would get without your add on. Needless to say, I didn't get far. I typed in the first line of script and It said that "directory E:\ doesn't exist! Now i know that is suppose to referr the Dosbox to my LBA/relentless CD but I can't get it to recognize. I remember my old PC had names like E D C etc for it's drives and such but my mac doesn't seem to have such things.

I eagerly await your reply

Kieran
Old 2007-03-06, 12:28
weee

Hi Kieran,

Don't use that attachment I made, it's not relevant anymore. I should update that guide and remove it...

I don't know how directories work on MacOS, but I guess there's no "E:". So you should use something like "mount D /device/cdrom/cd1" (or whatever MacOS works like).
Maybe someone who knows MacOS can help you better
Old 2007-03-06, 13:57
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
try virtual pc with win 95.... err... not the m$ one it lags as hell
Old 2007-03-06, 22:10

ChaosFish: I used your script but it still fails to recognize it. I wish I new some mac gurus. Maybe I can find someone experience with MS dos, it should be similar to using it on a PC

StreGGy: I would if I could! I no longer own a PC however. I suppose I could partition my drive and run LBAwin like on my old PC. IT worked great. THe only qualm I had with LBAwin is that I could never get the speech files to work. I wanted to try on MS dos like I did way back, for it ran perfectly.

Either way i would like to experiment with both.

Last edited by Kieran11; 2007-03-06 at 22:11. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 2007-03-06, 22:47
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

i was referring to this
http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/
damn i remember there was another version apart from the microsoft one, cos my bro removed the ms one after he found out about this one that was more stable.
Old 2007-03-07, 00:20

Hmm that looks like a very viable solution. But do you know if there is way way to fix the sound on the LBAwin version? DO you experieance sound trouble at all?
Old 2007-03-07, 15:36
Magic Ball Master

LBAWin is fine for me. Some people have encountered problems before however, mainly because
a) Windows 2000
b) illegal copy
Old 2007-03-07, 19:43
weee

Kieran - Here's a 60 seconds guide that might help you with DOSBox: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8933
Old 2007-03-08, 02:54

Kobold: I have 2 very legal copies of LBA, but I use(d) windows XP

Chaosfish: Doesn't seem to be working, I'll tinker with it, and see what I can do. EDIT: It still is not working *grumble at macs*

Last edited by Kieran11; 2007-03-08 at 07:38. Reason: Update
Old 2007-03-08, 19:00

StreGGy: Were you referring to the Dual PC software?
Old 2007-03-08, 19:07
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Err, no. 't was something else :P
Old 2007-03-09, 22:31
Magic Ball Master

For MS Virtual PC, see here.
Old 2007-03-09, 22:50
weee

OR...... He can just use DOSBox. Just need to know how to write the CDrom path on mac.
Old 2007-03-12, 15:11
Welcome to Zirla!

BTW, for the Windows users out there - don't use the official DOSBox 0.70. Use the latest "Ykhwong" CVS version of DOSBox 0.70 (recommended by ChaosFish) instead.
Old 2007-03-12, 16:28
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Kieran, http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
ahhh here it is
't pwns :P
Old 2007-03-12, 18:22
weee

Actually the official DOSBox 0.70 is great, and it's brand new.
Old 2007-03-12, 21:43
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

if he's got problems with it on his mac i guess thats the only option he has left
Old 2007-03-15, 15:33
Templar of Bù

Well, the problem is that he don't know how to use DOSbox, as far as I can see. Not that it does not work.

Now I'm not sure what the path is like on Mac OS, but if it's BSD-like, it should be something like

mount E /mnt/cdrom0

and then
E:

In DOSbox of course.

Tags
dosbox