Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-10-02, 11:54
Registered Schnitzel

Finished Normality about a week ago. Still an awesome game.
Also playing Diablo, I'm at level 14 (I didn't remember it being that hard...)
And started playing Mafia now.
Old 2007-10-02, 19:06
Master of Science & Magic

Normality is cool
Old 2007-10-02, 23:14
Magic Ball Master

Rayman (1). Still damn hard.
Old 2007-10-03, 23:04
Hello

Lord of the Rings:Battle for Middle-Earth
I find that they could of improved the campaign, and orcs for free is a bit unfair even if they weak.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2007-10-03, 23:43
Idyllic + whimsical

Finished Prey.
The problem with FPSes is that they're not interesting enough on the long run (except for maybe HL2 that kept me in the whole way with a little bump when you get back to City 17), I practically forced myself on the last few levels.
Still a decent game with some nice ideas.

I think up next will be Jedi Outcast after all those SW movies, only problem is that the beginning without force powers and a lightsaber are bothersome.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2007-10-03, 23:56

did you play Tron 2.0? It has enough variation to keep things interesting till the end.
Old 2007-10-04, 01:13
weee

I have to say Bioshock is getting less and less awesome.

Basically the whole game is designed to feel like an interactive scary luna-park ride, which was cool at first, but it's starting to get a little boring.
Old 2007-10-04, 01:54
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
I have to say Bioshock is getting less and less awesome.

Basically the whole game is designed to feel like an interactive scary luna-park ride, which was cool at first, but it's starting to get a little boring.
Yeah, the initial excitement sort of died down with me as well.
The idea and setting are great and all, but it gets tiring walking around dark abandoned corridors all the time.

A game where you could explore rapture when it was in it's prime would be awesome.
Old 2007-10-04, 02:36
weee

I love the unique combination of The 50's/Modern Sci-Fi/Distorted Society though.

"Enrage you enemies! Laugh, as your enemies fight each other!" (in a relaxing female advertiser voice) - priceless
Old 2007-10-04, 02:40
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post
did you play Tron 2.0? It has enough variation to keep things interesting till the end.
Nope, but I should give it a try just because it has a LOL gun.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2007-10-04, 02:48
Little Bastard Warrior.

Phantom Hourglass.

Okay, FINALLY a game that does what every single gamer knew could be done from the beginning, but developers spent 2-3 years realising this so painfully obvious truth.

So in short, this is the best game created for the NDS together with Ouendan (NOT Elite Beat Agents, that game was rubbish). It is also the best Zelda game since Ocarina of Time. It gives us the beautiful Wind Waker world, great DS controls (Which are NOT hard to turn sharp corners with, despite what other people wants you to think), funny dialog, a NEW Zelda story, plenty of new characters, a nice batch of new dungeons that DON'T RE-USE bosses and some decent sidequests and minigames.

It has plenty of small gimmicks that should make all previous developers ashamed that they didn't use them before this game. The sailing isn't annoying anymore (except that you have to be vigilant now, because if not, you'll get smashed) and you get teleportation really early.

In short, this game is the exact opposite of Twilight Princess. It isn't oversized (the final two dungeons in TP were as boring as Shrek 3), it isn't overhyped, it makes mindnumbingly good use of a new and very different control scheme for old gameplay (granted, TP didn't make bad use, but it was just sort of thrown in there) and it has a nice balance between fun side question and main story (TP had like.... 1 sidequest which just ended up giving you that money draining crap armour).

The music is pleasent, but it's not the catchy tunes from days of yore (Ocarina of Time) nor is it the soul satisfying celtic tunes of The Wind Waker.

It really does make me look forward to the next Zelda on the Wii (since it seems no 3rd party developer dares make none-mediocre games for the Wii, and Nintendo doesn't have the gonads to make an action-adventure that doesn't feature a green fairy or a fat plumber) which will FINALLY show other developers how to make regulare games new and fresh in an improving way.

Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate

Granted, my Japanese isn't what it never was, so I can barely read the kanas, but that doesn't matter, the story is simple enough for me to understand that we have some siblings who band together with their armour-creature friend and turnip-creature friend to kick monster ass. And the point is, that this is the Crystal Chronicles we should have gotten from the beginning. The controls are intuitive, despite SCREAMING for Phantom Hourglass controls, the graphics are amazing the this little handheld (the camera is even sort of handheld, so it has to keep up with your own movements, a wonderful little detail) and the gameplay is so will designed, that not knowing Japanese is totally not a problem, because this game is simply fun to play. Run and jump around, kill monsters and cast spells.

A perfect example of how well designed this game is, is how some doors have to be opened by placing orbs in sockets. You lift up these orbs on the Y button, and throw it there aswell. You can throw while jumping, pick things up while jumping or anywhere else, and the orbs simply slide into place. Something like this could easily have been put together badly and have been really annoying, but rest assurred, it isn't.

Look forward to the translation of this little pearl, and dread it at the same time, because has spoken dialogue and that means a terrible dub and we all know it.
Old 2007-10-04, 10:04
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
the final two dungeons in TP were as boring as Shrek 3.
Are you sure you mean that?
The one in the castle was a bit boring true, but the one in the Twlight Realm was short and intense. With the scary hand thing chasing you? Cant see how that could be discribed as boring.
Hand things in Zelda always scare the shit out of me, mind
I like how they try to put a new twist on them each time too. (like TWW had the floor ones that chucked bombs back at you).
Right back to my first Zelda game (LA) I have had a love/hate relationship with the buggers.

Quote:
(TP had like.... 1 sidequest
It had 3 at least (Poe Souls, Armor, Bugs come to mind). About the same as other Zeldas really.

Then you got all the heart pieces, the endless dungoen, and the shear mind-blowing quanity of minigames. Of which fishing is wonderfull done.

And that armour isnt useless by a long shot, makes the "endless" dungoen thingy a lot easier. Spoiler:
because theres money burried in the ground on some levels
That said, the thing is effectively a Spoiler:
sonic rip-off, as it acts much like super-sonic Invincibility but with money draining.

To be honest, I dont remember much side quests in any Zelda game.
Loads of little challanges over the landscape, but not really any big side quests. Theres normaly one swapping-quest, and one extra-item quest if your lucky. (but often the swapping quest is essential to the game, and thus not really a side quest...). hmz....(tries to think).

Quote:
since it seems no 3rd party developer dares make none-mediocre games for the Wii
90% True.
I think its worth looking at Zack and Wiki and "Dewys Adventure", however.
Some third partys are starting to put effort in.

Quote:
Nintendo doesn't have the gonads to make an action-adventure that doesn't feature a green fairy or a fat plumber
Id hardly discribe any mario game as "adventure".
However, Isnt Day of Crise's an Action Adventure ?

Not that I think that would be as good as a Zelda game anyway.
If Nintendo invented more charecters for the hell of it, it would be just as bad as forcing them where they dont fit.
Link fits nicely in his universe, so leave it be.

What really needs to happen for the next zelda, however, is to change everything else slightly. Lets have a slightly more modern hyrule. TP and PH started to do this...giant magnets and auto-steamships.
Lets continue the trend, and have a semi-stempunk setting.

Combined with good sword-motion controlls, and puzzles tied to the use of them, the next Wii game could really rock.
Oh, but they better leave Aonuma in charge, Miyamoto is a gameplay genius, but story/charecter wise Aonuma ownz him. (plus, after Majoras Mask and some of TP's twisted cut scenes, Id like to see just how darkly crazy he can go )

oh, and I still want a dungoen completely on horseback!
and another one "fractured" so rooms are just drifting around in space with wormhole like doors linking them.
and
and..
[/could go on all day]

Last edited by Darkflame; 2007-10-04 at 10:10.
Old 2007-10-04, 10:42
Little Bastard Warrior.

Meant the final two regulare dungeons (Temple of Time and that flying city).

Speaking of which, the flying city was EXTREMELY anti-climatic. It was a perfect opportunity for Ritos and then they just use those freak chickens, and it didn't even feel like a city at all. Same problem with the Twilight Realm. It didn't feel like a place where creatures lived at all. You can do BETTER Nintendo!

I'm not sure I want to give the "collect X amount of thing"-quests the honour of being called actual sidequests. It might be something the pokémon fan likes, but I hate tedious scavenge hunting.

The endless dungeon was wonderful and on the later levels it really showed how difficult TP SHOULD have been. Really, why didn't we get to fight three darknuts in the regular dungeons?

But it is a mute point to discuss flaws in Twilight Princess. The fact of the matter is that it is simply so fucking stuffed with stuff to do that I've clocked in 42 hours of fun gameplay without any "random encounters" (take that Final Fantasy!) and you miss in one place of the game, become something fun somewhere else in the game.

--------

Well true Zack & Wiki and Dewy looks good, but they aren't out, so who are we to say? But on that note, why does the games from the Dewy creators have to look like they were made for a five year old? I mean, there's the original raymans style of being whimsical and wonderful, and then there's the drooling retard pastel colours for children who live in a very dark place.

-------

Have we even seen a screenshot of Day of Crisis? I hardly think that's a game worth speaking of just yet.

------

Wind Waker was the perfect game for Nintendo to say, "okay, fans are gonna hate us for making zelda this bright, why not make a new character". So many new possibilities would have opened up for Nintendo if they didn't have to stick to the classic zelda formular.
Old 2007-10-04, 11:28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
I love the unique combination of The 50's/Modern Sci-Fi/Distorted Society though.

"Enrage you enemies! Laugh, as your enemies fight each other!" (in a relaxing female advertiser voice) - priceless
I like listening to the splicers mutter to themselves,
"Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so"
Old 2007-10-04, 12:21
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Meant the final two regulare dungeons (Temple of Time and that flying city).
Ok, ok then, agreed.
I didnt mind them that much though.
The flying one I felt had a nice atmosphere, allthough your right it didnt work as a "city"
Still, had a bit of a ghibli/Castle In the Sky feel to it.

Quote:
I'm not sure I want to give the "collect X amount of thing"-quests the honour of being called actual sidequests. It might be something the pokémon fan likes, but I hate tedious scavenge hunting.
Oh, I quite agree.
But I wasnt sure quite how to define side-quest really.
Ripping souls out of poes was fun, but the bugs were tedious.

Quote:
The endless dungeon was wonderful and on the later levels it really showed how difficult TP SHOULD have been. Really, why didn't we get to fight three darknuts in the regular dungeons?
Well, I been trying to work this out.
When I play *any* Zelda game now I find it too easy.
I think we have got better and theg games have stayed the same. The AI got a little better in TWW, and carried into TP. (you can sometimes tell the AI is the same too).

But overall, your right, the enemys just arnt challanging enough.
I hope Nintendo considers a hard mode next time.

Quote:
But it is a mute point to discuss flaws in Twilight Princess. The fact of the matter is that it is simply so fucking stuffed with stuff to do that I've clocked in 42 hours of fun gameplay without any "random encounters" (take that Final Fantasy!) and you miss in one place of the game, become something fun somewhere else in the game.
Indeed.
Which is the wonderefull thing about Zelda games.
I often thought the Heart-piece structure works well, because you have lots of little things to do about the place, yet it isnt pointless, and does help if you are stuck on a boss or something.

Quote:
Well true Zack & Wiki and Dewy looks good, but they aren't out, so who are we to say? But on that note, why does the games from the Dewy creators have to look like they were made for a five year old? I mean, there's the original raymans style of being whimsical and wonderful, and then there's the drooling retard pastel colours for children who live in a very dark place.
Well, try, they arnt out, but there were getting good reviews.
I just thought I should highlight some third partys that ARE making an effort, in the hope of encouraging others

Quote:
Have we even seen a screenshot of Day of Crisis? I hardly think that's a game worth speaking of just yet.
Just FMV's.
Very little information indeed.
I thought it was listed as an Action/Adventure, however. (probably more action then adventure, but stll).

Quote:
Wind Waker was the perfect game for Nintendo to say, "okay, fans are gonna hate us for making zelda this bright, why not make a new character". So many new possibilities would have opened up for Nintendo if they didn't have to stick to the classic zelda formular
Well, what I see as a "Zelda" game to me is a few basic principles;

a) A large, free-roaming landscape to explore
b) Physics or Item based puzzles
c) Auto-jumping controll scheme.

For me, these are what makes a zelda game more then the charecters, atmosphere or setting.
I wouldnt underestimate the importance of "c" either, the fact we dont controll the jumping imho really defines how the game plays.

In future I would love nintendo to mess with the formular a bit, as long as they keep these three things.
In particular, Id like them to remove the seperation between dungoen and landscape. Lets get out of the ridged "Landscape, Dungoen, puzzles, keys, boss key, boss" progression.
They started to do this a little (The Yeti place), but they should do it a lot more.

Sure, we should have themed regions, rooms, puzzles and boss's.
But lets lose the structure!
Lets have it so the player has *no idea* when the boss's will come, or if the area they are entering will be a massive complex, or just a few rooms
Makes the game a lot less predictable.
Maybe not all "boss's" you have to fight, maybe theres other ways to defeat some? (or not defeat them at all...).
Theres so much Nintendo could do with the Zelda formular while still keeping it "Zelda" imo.

Another angle to explore is physics.
Some of the best puzzles have been physics based.
Like in Ocarina, where you Spoiler:
Shot the arrow into the flame to hit the ice on the wall containing the switch
Id like a Zelda with puzzles less based on precise items, and a bit more based on physics. Have rooms with random items lieing about you cant take with you, but can use in the room. (like a simple plank of wood. Wood floats...wood burns...maybe you have to set fire to the plank and then push it though the water to burn those plants on the other side? but how to light it.....that fire is too high up....maybe if you chucked some oil on the wall.....)

I like physics
Old 2007-10-04, 17:03
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
NO! NO! NO! You turned this into the tv shows thread
Old 2007-10-04, 17:18
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Oh really? I used Din's Fire for that one.

I'm staying with it, Ocarina of Time is that boring that I will probably never finish it, Wind Waker owned it, and Twilight Princess double-pwned it twice. So when you call this as good as Ocarina of Time, I'm skeptical. Also, it's finally time for voices, I don't mind dubbings, they're usually good (at least in German, that is ).
Old 2007-10-04, 18:23
Classic

Ocarina was revolutionary.
The others were better then it in many ways, and overall TP and MM I thought was better. However, none made as bigger jump as Ocarina did, so they didnt make the impact.
TWW, TP and MM all had better storys imo.
TWW, however, lacked the puzzles of Ocarina, and got too repedative for me. Which is why I see it as inferiour overall.
Majoras Mask probably had my favorate story, Twlight Princess second, and TWW third.
Allthough, TWW probably had the best overall atmosphere.

So, basicaly, I find them hard to directly say "best" for any of them

Of course, Midna ownz everything though.

As for voices, yes and no.
I wouldnt mind voices for the humans, but I still want Link unvoiced. No voice would fit, and I dont think Id feel as if I was link as much.
Also, in some ways, Links muteness adds to his charecter ,imo.

Zelda, Gannon, and others however could be voiced.
Id like non-human charecters to be done in psydo-voice still, like Midna is.
Purhapes it could be "framed" more like subtitles however, as it it was just another language.

Quote:
Oh really? I used Din's Fire for that one.
boring
Old 2007-10-04, 19:46
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Ok, ok then, agreed.
I didnt mind them that much though.
The flying one I felt had a nice atmosphere, allthough your right it didnt work as a "city"
Still, had a bit of a ghibli/Castle In the Sky feel to it.
The one Ghibli movie I've yet to see ... But it was mostly the annoying music in the sky temple that bugged. SO ANNOYING

[QUOTE=Darkflame;331391]
Well, I been trying to work this out.
When I play *any* Zelda game now I find it too easy.
I think we have got better and theg games have stayed the same. The AI got a little better in TWW, and carried into TP. (you can sometimes tell the AI is the same too).

But overall, your right, the enemys just arnt challanging enough.
I hope Nintendo considers a hard mode next time.

Well okay, let me put it like this. The Zelda games were ALWAYS too easy (Except for Zelda 1 and 2 because of bad controls and Ganon in Alltp, he is tough).

Why don't enemies backflip? Or do the helmsplitter or something like that?

Quote:
Well, what I see as a "Zelda" game to me is a few basic principles;

a) A large, free-roaming landscape to explore
b) Physics or Item based puzzles
c) Auto-jumping controll scheme.

For me, these are what makes a zelda game more then the charecters, atmosphere or setting.
I wouldnt underestimate the importance of "c" either, the fact we dont controll the jumping imho really defines how the game plays.

In future I would love nintendo to mess with the formular a bit, as long as they keep these three things.
In particular, Id like them to remove the seperation between dungoen and landscape. Lets get out of the ridged "Landscape, Dungoen, puzzles, keys, boss key, boss" progression.
They started to do this a little (The Yeti place), but they should do it a lot more.

Sure, we should have themed regions, rooms, puzzles and boss's.
But lets lose the structure!
Lets have it so the player has *no idea* when the boss's will come, or if the area they are entering will be a massive complex, or just a few rooms
Makes the game a lot less predictable.
Maybe not all "boss's" you have to fight, maybe theres other ways to defeat some? (or not defeat them at all...).
Theres so much Nintendo could do with the Zelda formular while still keeping it "Zelda" imo.

Another angle to explore is physics.
Some of the best puzzles have been physics based.
Id like a Zelda with puzzles less based on precise items, and a bit more based on physics. Have rooms with random items lieing about you cant take with you, but can use in the room. (like a simple plank of wood. Wood floats...wood burns...maybe you have to set fire to the plank and then push it though the water to burn those plants on the other side? but how to light it.....that fire is too high up....maybe if you chucked some oil on the wall.....)

I like physics
Didn't we have this exact same conversation some months ago? Except I said some of the things you said and vice versa?

And I shot the arrow through the torch aswell.
Old 2007-10-04, 20:10
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
boring
As I'm saying!
Old 2007-10-05, 00:23
formerly just angry

Just got the new Zelda today... not sure if I should start now or finish Phoenix Wright 2 first!
Old 2007-10-05, 20:16
Little Bastard Warrior.

Just had a thought. Now, I've yet to try the new metroid-wii controls, but every single review says it quite simply puts dual analog to shame and is pretty close to mouse 'n keyboard.
Now, the Wiimote and nunchuck are of course console exclusives. You can only achieve this level of control there.
So is the power of the PS3 and 360.

Now, many, many reviews keep comparing the graphics of the Wiis prettier games to the graphics of the 360 and PS3, despite the fact that the Wii is simply incapable of producing that many polygons.

Now, why is it that I doubt reviewers are going to start hassleing 360 and PS3 FPS's for not having as good controls as MP3? Not that I want them to start. I'd just like be free of seeing stuff like "while the graphics aren't as good GoW...".
Old 2007-10-05, 22:44
Classic

True.

But to be fair, a lot of Wii games have shamefully bad graphics.
Its not just "not as good as Xbox360" its mostly "Barely ok for Gamecube".

I mean, one of the best graphical third party Wii games is Harry Potter!
I mean jesus, that should tell you something

Mario Galaxy and Metroid look infinitely better then 3rd party efforts/
Old 2007-10-05, 23:06
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
Finished Splinter Cell.
Now playing Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow.
Old 2007-10-05, 23:12

Tron 2.0
Hell yeah! awesome game.

Tags
games, videogames