Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-07-23, 11:29
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
V was terrible. The scene after Anna hit her daughter went something like: (Juliet)"How can a mother do that to her child?" (Tyler)"It's because they're not human. They're aliens." Made me want to PUKE PUKE PUKE over and over and over again.
I must admit I forget names - but was that Tyler? The V-obsessed son?
Doesn't sound like something her would say.
Sounds more like the terrorist dude they were working with - who was always portrayed as a bit of a amoral bastard.(and in fact, they should have gone further with that side - its more interesting if your forced to work with someone repellent rather then trying to soften them or turn them around.)

I had much much more problems with the stupid shock deaths at the end of season2. (and the dumb set up for S3 that will never come). Also, for that mater the skinning scene earlier in the season was far too casually done. I dont care if your on different sides of a war, if you see someone skinned alive you bloody well should have some emotions about it.

However, I do think parts of V were quite brilliant. Basically any conversation between Anna and Elizabeth was normally very well done - double meanings on both sides with every other line. (both often coming across as bitchs, but in a good way,imho). I also loved a lot of Annas actions (¨now thats how you kill your mother¨ = quality moment, imho. Unlike every scene that followed)

Quote:
I think aliens look and act like humans in most TV shows because "real" aliens are too alienating for most viewers.
I think thats what tv executives think, but I dont think its true of the public.

Well, its a little true, I think probably people need recognizable human expressions for any alien thats a true ¨character¨ rather then just a killing machine, or a unknowable ¨force¨.
I remember a interview with a district9 designer - they wanted to make the aliens look as disgusting as possible, but they just couldnt get away with the characters feeling right without some eye/eyebrow expressions. (which, of course, are human-esq).

I must admit this is more of a gut feeling then any actual evidence. As I said earlier, for a tv series I think Farscape came closest to non-human aliens and it was sci-fis highest rated show for a few seasons - but thats a relatively little sample range, 1 show, and at its height Sci-Fi had far less viewers in general then it does now. Not much competition for the show either, other then stargate. (which despite seeing a lot of, I only remember non-humans being stupidly rare. Even the God like aliens were always humans, which was essentially dumb. Once they did have an alien with nice animatronic moving gills though. So its not like they couldnt do decent prosthetics if they wanted too).

But even with human-head-ish expressions you can do a hell of a lot better then tv does at the moment. Hell, we dont even get star-treks wiggly fore heads and pointy ears. As silly as they look to us these days at least that was some attempt.
TV just pissś me of a bit when they dont even try.

I guess Doctor Who also tries. Even if they get carried away at times;

Cant think of many other shows that do. Even historically.
Old 2011-07-24, 17:39
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
I must admit I forget names - but was that Tyler? The V-obsessed son?
Doesn't sound like something her would say.
Sounds more like the terrorist dude they were working with - who was always portrayed as a bit of a amoral bastard.(and in fact, they should have gone further with that side - its more interesting if your forced to work with someone repellent rather then trying to soften them or turn them around.)
I didn't even try to remember the names. Juliet is that Other from Lost and Tyler is that psycho-girl's father from The 4400. These kind of actors are typecast, they're always playing the same character anyway. In both shows Tyler had a daughter that magically grew instantly from a baby to a grown woman. (Coincidence? Yeah right.) And in both shows Juliet is the exact same character, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
I had much much more problems with the stupid shock deaths at the end of season2. (and the dumb set up for S3 that will never come). Also, for that mater the skinning scene earlier in the season was far too casually done. I dont care if your on different sides of a war, if you see someone skinned alive you bloody well should have some emotions about it.
That bothered me as well. The thing is, I would be fine with them not having emotions about it if it was done deliberately to shock and disturb. But I don't think this is what went on in the writers' heads, I think they just didn't think it through... which is the most disturbing thing.

About aliens: Personally, I am among the people who don't like non-human-looking aliens. But I also don't like human-looking aliens. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I don't like aliens as characters. I did like those human-looking aliens in "Mars Attacks!" because it was intentionally silly.

But if a writer is trying to take themselves seriously, aliens are not characters. It's just as silly as God being a character (and he is, in all mythologies). Aliens can be an element in the story, no problem with that. But if I can identify with it, in any way, then it's a character and it's no longer an alien. And that's also true for those aliens in Dr. Who.
Old 2011-07-24, 23:53
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, Ive argued before I still think thats bullshit
In a infinite universe there will be aliens we can understand, or at least comprehend to some extent. The ones we dont would be akin to animals from our perspective and we would probably ignore them (even if we recognise them as life - which we may not).

I also think anything subject to evolution is likely to share at least some based instincts with us. (Desire to replicate, Survival, probably Fear too, unless their some sort of hive-mind thing, which wouldn't mind sacrificing bits for the protection of the rest....hmz...possibly some equilivent to Hunger too, as all life would need an energy source of some form).

Of course, thats not to say things arnt far far too similiar elsewhere (why are so many alien species still got male/female sexs?). So I think they could be much more different without being totaly incomprehensable.

But your discription of an alien really would only fit if you prefix it by "total", as in "totaly alien to us". I could agree with that.
But "alien" by itself doesnt not mean everything about it has to be different.

Besides, even if non of that were true, is it not still more interesting to look at something that acts as different as they can, while still being some recognisable logic to its actions? Isnt that more interesting then something that acts about as interestingly as a rock or the weather?
After all, we give us many bits of (currently knowen) physics to make sci-fi work quite often. As long as your self-consitant I dont see any problem with it.

Quote:
And that's also true for those aliens in Dr. Who.
Id still rather have over-the-top flying eyeball crystals then humans

That said, Dr Who has had some pretty darn alien-alien even in terms of motivations.
Its rare, but the "Midnight Entity" (from the episode "Midnight") was one, and to a lesser extent (but better written), the Weaping Angels from Blink.

Even these could both however, losely be viewed as just horror creatures with neat twists, and as they don't talk or really communicate in any understandable way, its probably easier to make them seem more alien.

That said, Dr Who does visualy fall into the trap quite often that wayyyyyyyy too many sci-fis and horrors do of just making their aliens human+(animal/instincts) hybred.
Doctor isnt supposed to be taken seriously - but (imho) that should never be done unless theres a good plot excuse for it and they really are some sort of Hybred creature.

Come to think of it, the same thing annoys me with a lot of JRPGs too. Combining an animal with a human is just 99% of the time boring. I really wish people would stop doing that.

Quote:
t's just as silly as God being a character (and he is, in all mythologies).
Gods are a whole other subject really - its not just their depiction, or humanish motivations, but also their power level makes things really really hard to do well.

Not impossible, mind, and depends on the type of "God", as its a pretty catch-all discription.

I think it can work but only if its not one-God-creator-of-all situation but rather a incredibly powerfull (yet not perfect) being.
Its highly cliche now, but I dont mind (in principle) the idea of normal species slowly developing to god-like states. Maybe even becoming advanced enough to make their own worlds and seed them with life. (or, if they are a bit more confident, simply set the right natural conditions for life). This way the flaws of their origins somewhat continue.

You can losely put "Q" from Star-Trek in this catagory. Essentialy like bored teenager with nearly limitless power. In that situation humans are level on inteligence, but not on power - so it comes down more or less to their persuasive ability rather then any physical "battle". I think this can be a interesting angle to take if done right.

The other thing I don't mind is if the "God" is of limited power and its actions are rationalised. You might think this is less realistic, but its sure as hell less irratating.
As messed up as Lost got at the end, the "island gods" of Jacob and the MiB at least had motivations I understood and they somewhat took actions towards their motive.

Compared to BSG, where "God" had completely random powers, actions, and no motivation thats ever explained. = far more irrataing, at least for me.
--
Of course, I guess when dealing with an all-powerfull do-everything being, theres always the lazy excuse that he can easily make himself comprehensable to any species he choose's as thats part of his power. I think that is logical, but also pretty darn boring. And it still raise's the issue that any other choice made by anyone else is basicly worthless as God can just snap his mystical fingers and change the universe however he likes.
[/random rants]
Old 2011-08-17, 21:37
!!!!!

Watching Louie. Man, this show is so depressing... I love it.
Old 2011-08-17, 22:27
Classic

Haven epp1 - Seems pretty good. Its like a mix between Xfiles, "The Gates" and maybe the 4400. Not tremediously original, but certainly comes accross fresher then most superpowers/supernatural stuff.

Basicly a FBI agent goes to a town to track down a fugative, only to discover "strange things" going on in the town.

I'll see where it goes.
---
Warehouse 13 - Speaking of originality, and lack of, here we a generic "traped in a video game" episode. I pretty much hate these in sci-fi. Just about every sci-fi has one, and they are always totaly stupid.
This one has some merits, nice character interaction, and using cellshading/rotoscoping was a smart move, but overall nothing noteworthy. (and yet here I am making a note...ho hum).
This episode also was another "Eureka" crossover, I dont mind that, but it was blatently not quite fitting what was happening with that show at the moment.

Torchwood: Miracle Day epp1-4;
Urg. Fantastic scenario...(suddenly everyone in the world stops dieing).....and some actual good acting spoilt by predictable holocaust analogues you can see coming about 2 episodes away.

Eureka "Up In The Air" - Great episode. Stupid, but in a good way. I love the whole "This town cant even get a bankrobbery right!" angle.

Also been watching Burn Notice (pretty ok, like if McGuyver was an ex-spy), and Leverage (Inferiour version of BBCs Hustle with a bit too much hollywood-ness to it, but still fun).
Old 2011-08-17, 23:38
!!!!!

Isn't Haven another show about vampires? I was sure it was so I didn't watch it.

Warehouse 13 - Yeah it was silly but I don't care, it's meant to be silly. This whole show is silly. I wouldn't even call it a sci-fi... it's more of a fantasy-comedy. I like Pit and Claudia, they make it all worth it.
Old 2011-08-18, 11:10
Classic

No vampies yet in it - dont worry, I share the same phobia. Buffy already squeezed all the entertainment out of them and all the new stuff just seems bandwagon jumping and repeating themselves. I guess True Blood at least had a original starting scenero (Vamps already known to world, claiming more or less to be a missunderstood repressed miniority)....but the first episode had far too little plot and lots of Sex filling the gap. So I gave up.
"The Gates" had vamps, but it was kinda ok because it wasnt the focus. That had a lot of mythetical creatures.
---

Anyway, I agree with WH13 sillyness, and yeah, its mostly fantasy. (allthough I suspect they will give a pysdo-science explanation to the artifacts at some point - significant events creating them or something. Quantom will be involved).

I still prefer original sillyness, however which is why I dont like videogame episodes.
Old 2011-08-18, 12:42
Do the evolution.

Watching Falling Skies right now - six or so episodes into it, liking it so far. Feels like some of the better Sliders episodes.
Old 2011-08-18, 19:42
Classic

Dunno, watched the first 3 and it didnt really grip me. (just seemed a little slow on the main plot, and Ive seen this whole sort of "untrustworthy type we keep with us" style scenaro a bit too often)
Sliders always had a little faster pace/more ideas. But then, I guess thats the nature of tv now...slower and spread out, but when it gets it right we do get a bit more impact from it.

Purhapes I should give it a bit longer.
Old 2011-08-19, 13:56
Do the evolution.

Well the pacing really is A LOT different then in sliders - but there's that feeling that sliders, or the episodes of Star Trek Enterprise happening during WWII had, or the Terminator when they show the rebels base - that sort of a urban guerilla fighters feel.
Old 2011-08-19, 14:02
Classic

-sigh-
[/still pissed of Sarah Connor Chronicals was canceled]

Oh well, I'll give it longer then. I think I read it was confirmed for a second season already.
Old 2011-08-21, 23:52
!!!!!

I'm starting to really like Louie. It's like the same format of Seinfeld but a lot more blunt and in your face. It's a great comedy.

I'm now watching the DVD extras. ...
Old 2011-08-24, 14:05
Classic

Futurama " The Tip of the Zoidberg" - Great eppisode. Futurama back to its strongest, imho. Where its funny, but also shows the characters as 3 dimensional.
Old 2011-08-25, 12:40
Do the evolution.

What the hell is up with shows these days?!

Saw ten episodes of Falling Skies and at the tenth episode I see it's a "season finale"?! Shows used to last 40 minutes and have 20 or more episodes per season - like X-Files... or the first Stargate Series....!
Old 2011-08-25, 17:32
Classic

TV company's dont like making big commitments anymore.
Less viewing figures mean they cant afford to - but those same less viewing figures are largely their own fault. (investing in lots of cheap short term popular stuff with zero repeat value and no dvd sales....aka, reality tv and things like it)

To be honest, I dont care too much about season lengths overall...whatever fits the story is fine by me. What I cant stand though is when you have a good cliffhanger and then have to wait a year for resolution. Or when you only get a tiny number of episodes per year. Or these stupid mid-season breaks.
Just give us a good story, consistently, and at the same time each week...thats how you hock people!
Old 2011-08-25, 17:46
Magic Ball Master

To me it really depends on the case if it's good or not for a series to have shorter seasons. For "Normal" shows I like bigger seasons when you don't have to watch every episode to understand the plot properly.
The first "mini"-season I saw was "Torchwood - Children of earth" which I found amazing as it was focused on one story but way longer and more complex compare to a single movie.
That format with quite long (around 60 minutes) but very few episodes (only 5) fit the story and the created suspense really well.

In contrast I really dislike how the story of Fringe has evolved in the later seasons. It was nice to watch at the beginning as you wouldn't need much background knowlege and still understood the elemental parts. With the newer Episodes running in Germany you get really confused most of the time if you haven't seen the whole last season.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the next episode of "Torchwood - Miracle Day" which I'm watching in english because it's not airing in Germany yet.
Old 2011-08-25, 19:37
Classic

Fringeś ongoing plot is great though - I get the problem of having to see each episode (of a season, it doesnt really spread that much between), but thats why they need predictable episode timing without massive breaks :P
Rather then give up and make everything individual or short, we should still have long storys too - but just make them watchable :P
Old 2011-08-27, 21:16

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Previously on Torchwood: The writers decide to tell us that they've looked up Jellyfish in the wikipedia.

The writers of Torchwood are amazing.
Old 2011-08-28, 12:17
Classic

I can't wait ill the ending, as its written by RTD. He has messed up every ending he is ever written for Dr Who and Torchwood
(he did also come up with some great concepts too mind, and he did bring Dr Who back, which I am great-full for.....he is just like "mr dues ex")
Old 2011-08-29, 13:53
Classic

Doctor Who (2005) - 6x08 "Let's Kill Hitler (2)" - Fun, and it does tie up a lot of stuff dangleing from last season. Allthough sadly the title is somewhat mis-marketing as Hitler barely plays any role in it.
Little bit of dues-ex too, allthough more exadurated existing cannon then truely out of no-where. Still, a lot of this shows Mofett is planning his seasons well in advance.

Overall an "ok" episode but no where near as good as the previous ones he wrote for the first half of the season.
Old 2011-08-30, 13:50
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

They left Hitler in the cupboard! This really bugged me; they didn't do anything about the weird things he saw (he saw the Tardis, he saw the strange people who are from a different time...)

I thought the episode overall was fun and I enjoyed it, but it was complete Mindscrew, and not good mindscrew either. Good mindscrew is when you think "Yes, I can see where that came from." This came out of literally nowhere!

We don't seem to get any standalone Doctor Who episodes any more, they are all
related to a huge arc plot which isn't being resolved.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2011-08-30, 13:58
Classic

umm..much much of the plot arc was resolved recently

Spoiler:

Who River was - resolved.
Why she kills the doctor - resolved
Who the child was that regenerated in the past - resolved

I thnk its rather unfair to say nothing is being resolved
And we have had quite a few stand alone episodes last half season, they just wernt very good ones
Old 2011-08-30, 17:37
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Things are being resolved, that was a bit unfair of me. It's just that it seems to be deliberately trying to be as confusing and leaving as many threads hanging as possible. Having to keep track of everything gets very, very confusing! (And remember, this is supposed to be a children's show which adults just like to watch as well.)

And standalone episodes = the doctor's wife, which was amazing, and the pirate one which wasn't terribly good. All the others in the last half series have been part of this whole confusion. I don't want to be relentlessly negative because I really do enjoy Doctor Who, and there are lots of things which are VERY good and enjoyable! This episode I think has clouded my judgement because there were quite a lot of things which irritated me.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2011-09-02, 23:18
Classic

The the doctor's wife was good indeed. I forgot that one.
But the whole The Rebel Flesh (1)/Almost PeopleI(2) two parter was 99.9% standalone and pretty contrived imho. (ok, the last 3 minutes tied into the ongoing plot, but the rest was all independant).
Your right though, there was a few things in that last episode annoying.
-----

Wherehouse 13
The 40th Floor
-
Did I mention how much I hate the shorter intro? The original intro was fantastic, introduced the show really well. bah.
Then again, this happens to lots of shows.
Oh, right, the episode...umm...good I guess. Cliche, but I still loved the end twist.
Only issue was the start seemed very rushed.

Eureka 04x18 This One Time At Space Camp… - Phweee...for a moment it looked like it would be a cheap flash back episode. Pretty generic epp really, but raised by some good lines and comady moments.

hmz...only a few eurekas/wherehouse 13s left this season.
But then its back to Fringe
Old 2011-09-10, 17:06
Classic

Futurama 6x25 - A pretty nice episode, and, yet again, they made a lovely heartwarming "ending" to the series if needbe here.

Futurama 6x26 - Kinda a bonus novalty episode, not really in continity but pretty darn stupid fun anyway.

Overall; While it had its weakpoints, this series definitely was pretty strong at the end.
----
Torchwood 4x9 - The episode before was actualy good - plot moved forward.

But this was terrible. Utter crap.
What I cant get over is if the encomy is so bad any everything is so desperate, how can the government afford to employ so many people to pick up thecatagories ones? They arnt costing them anything. Its being nazi's for being nazi's sake. It seems very forced script-wise. Then again, in RTDs mind England seems to turn to concentration camps at a drop of a hat in Who-doom anyway.

Tags
series, shows, television