Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-04-09, 22:56
Magic Ball Master

Hey...Help? =/

Did you ever have to decide something that would change your future entirely? How did you felt it? And what if you gave the wrong answer to that decision? What would it be of you?

Would that decision change who you are, forever, or would it Improve you? And how would you react to that?

Those questions have been bothering me since I left my work today. Or better, since I received the news from my manager.

I'm not sure I should tell / ask this. I was told not to, but I have to talk to someone, I'm too Puzzled, too... Confused to think by myself, at least today.

You can start reading from here >>>>

Well, you know, my father is my manager at my work place, a small / medium company that works with Clipping (we get news that interest companies from Newspaper, magazines and important websites, edit 'em on propper computer programs and send those to their online datase that we created) (our clients include Fiat, Pepsi, Gerdau, Usiminas, Singapore, etc). He (my father) is friends with our boss (who worked with him on a previous place, some years ago) and he caught me surprised today. When I was coming back from lunch, he called me and said "Lets walk". I didn't know what to answer, so I just said "OK" and started walking with him around the block.

By the way, this is important: I'm 18 years old and I still haven't joined an college (I had the chance to, but I lost a college scholarship duo to my father having a higher salary then the college allowed, but we still CAN'T afford it because I also have a brother that is joining one aswell)

As we started walking, he asked me: Have you already decided which course you are going to do at college? I said No, I'm still between 2 of them (which are Computer Science and Shemical engineering, 2 tottaly unrelated things)
He then told me the following:

Our boss called me today. He asked me if you had already decided what to do at college, and then he asked me to talk to you about this: Do you want to substitute Felipe (a manager) at programming the database system at our workplace?

I was shocked. I didn't know what to speak. At Computer Science, you learn how to do those stuff, but i wasn't even sure if i wanted to do it. Then he asks me that?

I said that I had no experience, how could I ever do it? Then he said that that manager was probably going to leave the work on a few months, maybe a year (he didn't explain me why) and by then I would have already knowledge about those stuff, because our boss would pay me course that would teach me how programm (I already know a bit) and I would also be in college, which would obviously teach me aswell.

I was in Shock. I'm still in shock. I don't realy know what I want for college, and then all of the sudden I HAVE to choose what I want, and as fast as I can. He told me I could have my time, and think about it for quite some time as they aren't in rush (reasons said above), but what should I do? I still had a whole year to choose what I wanted to do, and now I have less then a few months, or only a few days!
And the idea of doing that work, which is so important for our company, makes me realy nervous. What if I fail at it? What if I say that I'm going to do it, but then I realy dislike the job after that?

Its too much pressure to put on me on such short notice... I had simply NO idea that could happen, as I am just a normal employee there, treated as everyone else is, with the same problems as everyone else...

Can you guys share your thoughts please? I realy need a hand... a helping hand... Sorry for the big text, but I realy need this =/
Old 2013-04-09, 23:19
ffffff

first off i'll start by saying i have no idea who you are any why you're coming to this particular forum for help.

secondly, what i personally would do is take the job. even if it doesn't work out you can still put it on your cv and use it as experience for whatever you end up doing. you are still unsure of what you want to do at university: if you take the job and love it, then you'll know for sure that you want to continue to study the subject, but if you hate it then maybe you can study something else in the future? if you take the job you're taking a good opportunity and keeping the most options open. no one will hate you if you decide to quit if it's not for you - people are allowed to change their mind.

good luck in your endeavors, stranger.
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2013-04-09, 23:34
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_LIPSTICK View Post
first off i'll start by saying i have no idea who you are any why you're coming to this particular forum for help.

secondly, what i personally would do is take the job. even if it doesn't work out you can still put it on your cv and use it as experience for whatever you end up doing. you are still unsure of what you want to do at university: if you take the job and love it, then you'll know for sure that you want to continue to study the subject, but if you hate it then maybe you can study something else in the future? if you take the job you're taking a good opportunity and keeping the most options open. no one will hate you if you decide to quit if it's not for you - people are allowed to change their mind.

good luck in your endeavors, stranger.
Thanks for you reply!! Its not strange you don't know me...you see, I'm a new member of the forums. I only have 16 or so posts (joined like 3 weeks ago?) and I realy enjoy LBA1 / LBA2. The thing is, as many of you enjoy the same things as I do, I thought I could maybe open myself more then I could with many people and, therefore, make this thread. I'm sorry if I'm making myself look somewhat ridiculous or if its still inappropriate for me to post this as I'm not here for so long =/
Old 2013-04-09, 23:40
ffffff

no problem, dude. do you have any mental health conditions we should know about?

Quote:
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2013-04-09, 23:44
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_LIPSTICK View Post
no problem, dude. do you have any mental health conditions we should know about?
Oh no, I don't. I'm just some regular guy who made got to 18 a few months ago.

Sorry if I sound crazy or something, its just that I am realy, realy confused with what happened today.
Its my first job and this came much earlier then I thought.

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2013-04-09 at 23:50.
Old 2013-04-10, 00:00
ffffff

that's ok, you genuinely don't sound crazy. you should totally try out the job, though. how long is the contract?

Quote:
Quote:
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
Old 2013-04-10, 00:42
Magic Ball Master

It wasn't discussed yet, as I only talked to my manager by now. He said he was going to warn me before my boss calls me (probably tomorrow or by the end of the week) so I wouldn't be surprised when he tells me. That way, I can decide beforehand and be less nervous about the results

The real deal, the thing that is realy bothering me, is about college. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, so I can't realy give an answer to my boss. What if I decide to go with Chemical Engeneering after accepting the job? I can't just give up on the job IF I accept it, as that would ruin my morale with my boss (because he is going to spend money for me to learn about the job and because) and probably with everyone else there.

I have a real problem, that is trying to please everyone. I get too worried "if I do this" or "if I do that" because I don't know people's reactions and they just might the wrong idea of what I'm saying (what have happened several times already). I'm horrible at making myself clear when speaking. lol

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2013-04-10 at 00:56.
Old 2013-04-10, 01:19
Polly parrot

I agree with hat Lipstick said, If you don't have plans for the future, take it. From what I understand, you can still quit it afterwards if you don't like it/something else turns up, I'd say is better than doing nothing for a year.

Don't worry too much about other people's opinions, I'd personally warn them beforehand, but I know my father wouldn't. Plus you can still go to an other college when you are 21 or even later.

Just be warn though, that has life the bad tendency of moving on, one quickly gets accomodated to a lifestyle, be aware that if you don't like it that much, you might have to drop it, along with every landmark (including but not limited to money, people...). It can be complicated.
Old 2013-04-10, 01:27
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
be aware that if you don't like it that much, you might have to drop it, along with every landmark (including but not limited to money, people...). It can be complicated.
That is my main problem. I sorta have problems with relationships (I'm too shy) and, therefore, its hard for me to make friends and get used to stuff. Probably because I've always been Realy small, and people used to make fun of me and stay away from me. I'm Shy, I always had good grades (kinda nerd) and I'm small, so I always had few friends. Its realy hard for me to give-up on something that is so hard-earned for me as the friendship of some guys/girls at my work.

But you guys are right! I think I will get it. I just might wait for a few more days
and then tell him that I'm in for the job. If it doesn't end as I expect, I can always quit as you guys said... it might not be pleasant, but it has to work

Thanks a lot for you help!! I realy needed this hand to cheer me up and help me choose what to do!
Old 2013-04-10, 02:10
Polly parrot

Old 2013-04-10, 02:37
LBA fan

OP, even if you take the job, that doesn't mean you HAVE to pick Computer Science at university. You can study Chem Engineering and learn your job on the side.

Even if you do go for Computer Science, that doesn't mean you'll be a decent database programmer (maybe your boss means a db admin?). You probably won't have a database class until you're well into your 3rd year.

And even if you make the "wrong" choice, you're young, don't worry about it. Don't torture yourself about it. Sometimes that's the only way to find things out about ourselves.

About ruining your morale in case you decide computers are not your thing, I think people will be more than understanding than you'd assume. You're young, you don't know what you want to do with your life, everybody understands that. If your boss is a dick about it, then he's probably the kind of person you shouldn't be working with.

The Brazilian university system is cruel, people buy into the idea that you can decide your lifelong career at 18. You probably can't, and you certainly shouldn't... don't buy into it. Don't be afraid to change.
Old 2013-04-10, 19:46
the legend

I agree with all the views people shared here. Take the job.

(It is such a strange coincidence you post this today, as I was planning to make a very similar thread...)
Old 2013-04-10, 20:03
Polly parrot

You've come to a crossroad in your life as well ?
Old 2013-04-10, 20:23
the legend

I am in the crossroad.
Old 2013-04-10, 20:29
Polly parrot

Want to talk about it ?
Old 2013-04-10, 20:31
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I am in the crossroad.
Present perfect simple. "I've come to a crossroads" and "I am at the crossroads" mean the same thing.

English motherfucker, do you speak it?
Old 2013-04-10, 20:45
the legend

Oh my! A mistake on the internet, wow! I must correct it, to show how much smarter and badass I am than everyone else!

At a quick first glance at his sentence I mis-read it and thought he meant it in the past tense, whatever, c'est tout.

Polly, yes, I will make a thread about it when I have time. I want to positively contribute things to this forum, things that might not only be of use for our own entertainment (ie: meaningless inside jokes and offenses), but material worth to be read by the thousands of anonymous who lurk here - and others who end up here when googling something - and which, to some degree, might help someone by inciting them to ponder aspects from their own lifes with the advantage of seeing it from a variety of points of view, a result only the dynamic interaction of a forum can offer.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-04-10, 20:54
Polly parrot

Sounds awesome
Old 2013-04-11, 02:00
Pim! Pim!

i started uni a bit late, no harm in that...it's better to wait a bit than waste money on tuition and dropping out because you hate your courses
i think you should take a leap of faith, you might hate yourself later for not trying
Old 2013-04-11, 03:29
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmin View Post
i think you should take a leap of faith, you might hate yourself later for not trying
I love how you used Leap of Faith lol
I'm still not sure about which course I'm going to do at college, but I'm already sure I will accept that oportunity I've been given. It was thanks to you guys that I could decide about it much sooner then I thought. I wouldn't have taken in account many of the things you guys said if I was thinking by myself, to I'm realy glad I started this thread. You guys are amazing!

On another subject (or maybe not), what did you guys do for college? And when?
Old 2013-04-11, 04:21
the legend

I've skipped college because I've started working in Graphic Design since I was 16 and went leaping from job to job by referrals.
Old 2013-04-17, 18:38
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
Present perfect simple. "I've come to a crossroads" and "I am at the crossroads" mean the same thing.

English motherfucker, do you speak it?
ESPECIALLY for anakinwankin <3 :

Spoiler:

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-04-18, 00:21
Pim! Pim!

hahaha what an awful comic!!
Old 2013-04-18, 01:27
Polly parrot

I rarely find anything that I like among Cyanide and Happiness comics...
Old 2013-04-18, 02:11
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
yeah it's quite awful