Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2022-11-03, 14:27
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Dinofly What would you change about the story?

The most interesting takeaway from yesterday's 2.21 update (except for the concept art) was that Zoé won't get kidnapped. I can imagine why they aren't too fond of the kidnapping story:
- Because there's no internal monologue, so we don't really see that Twinsen's top-most thoughts every day must be about his wife (or aren't they?), when he does his extremely roundabout odyssey of rescuing her
- Leaving her uncaptured leaves game mechanics open like in LBA2, where Zoé can say what to do next or she can help out with other stuff. At least I would hope that she got her worker overalls in the concept art packed full with tools, otherwise I'd be a bit sad to see the pink dress gone

I'm wondering what you would change about the story of LBA1 or LBA2? For LBA1 I'd maybe make the Temple of Bu optional, as it's hard for some people, and it isn't that much related to the story (although I also think it's one of the best game areas). And then I think some of the "infiltrate gray building with clones in it" stuff at the end is a bit repetitive, so it would be cooler to have a level with FunFrock's Lustschloss/party fortress full with female clones (woefully underrepresented in LBA1) with whips and broken bottles. There are teen-rated games with that, like Streets of Rage 4, which by the way is an awesome co-op game!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stellar_entity.jpg‎
Views:	87
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	10411  
Old 2022-11-03, 16:08
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)

Old 2022-11-03, 16:53

How am I so sure that you'll hate the reboot, no matter if it will be made by 2.21 or by the most famous game developers
Old 2022-11-03, 16:59

Just the same I would hate it if anybody tried to repaint Mona Lisa, even if it was Da Vinci himself 500 years later.
Old 2022-11-03, 17:03

For me, these reboots are 100% equivalent to this:

Old 2022-11-04, 02:51
Magic Level: Water Ball

... I like it...

This is one of my favourite pieces of art :

Exposed at the Louvre in Paris, the glass at the bottom was made around -100, in the Roman Empire. The top was added in 1635 by Pierre Delabarre, a french craftsman. Reusing older things only makes the art piece richer. Of course that doesn't mean everything should be mashed together all the time, but it's an interesting approach when done tastefully imho.

About the remake, what I'm curious about is what they'll do about the prison. Frankly, it's the most hardcore tutorial area I have ever seen, once you're out of there, the rest of the game is (mostly) a piece of cake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aiguière Delabarre.JPG‎
Views:	88
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	10412  
Old 2022-11-04, 11:22
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Not sure if the new writer truly understands the game's universe. She didn't play both games in and out obviously, she was brought in for her skills, but saying that Twinsun is a world of 2 suns, where night doesn't exist already gave me the chills. It's what an outsider would logically think, when presented with a short version of "let me tell you about the games really quickly"... I think she'll basically just take the top concepts that were presented to her (obviously) and she'll basically write-in her own flavors from scratch, not knowing what the original atmosphere felt like, therefore having zero chances of following it adequately I'm afraid Oh and btw, changing the story and no longer capturing Zoe no longer makes it a reboot, sorry it is a completely different game from that point onwards. Like parallel universes. Same characters, yes, but different evolution of the timeline and ultimately, a quite different outcome.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2022-11-04, 11:43

I think SpaceGuitarist isn't alone with this mindset. My dad somehow also wasn't delighted when we heard a really nice electronic remix of Hotel California on holidays. For that French artwork, it looks (at least to someone who understands as little about art as me), that the newer artist sticked to the ancient Roman style design, and 2.21 said explicitly that they want to bring LBA forward to our times.

Although when it comes to an attractive blond girl with a long pink dress getting kidnapped by a fat guy with large teeth until the hero comes to rescue her, then maybe Super Mario was the classical masterpiece?
Old 2022-11-04, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
[...] therefore having zero chances of following it adequately I'm afraid
Isn't that a bit pessimistic? I'm sure they had regular sessions where they play the old games together, especially because I guess they wanted to show off to the other employees what new features they added. And I would assume that people with a fun job like leading the story of a computer game will be passionate enough to make sure it fits the original atmosphere. And Didier is always there if she has questions.
Old 2022-11-04, 13:43
Neko

a reboot is nice, if following the story 100% and expanding on it only.

I hated the fact that the movies of the lord of the rings trilogy fucked up a lot of things. almost all due to deviating from the book, or not understanding it completely.
Like sauron isn't bodyless, or a powerless eye on top of a mountain.
Old 2022-11-04, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
Not sure if the new writer truly understands the game's universe. She didn't play both games in and out obviously, she was brought in for her skills, but saying that Twinsun is a world of 2 suns, where night doesn't exist already gave me the chills. It's what an outsider would logically think, when presented with a short version of "let me tell you about the games really quickly"... I think she'll basically just take the top concepts that were presented to her (obviously) and she'll basically write-in her own flavors from scratch, not knowing what the original atmosphere felt like, therefore having zero chances of following it adequately I'm afraid Oh and btw, changing the story and no longer capturing Zoe no longer makes it a reboot, sorry it is a completely different game from that point onwards. Like parallel universes. Same characters, yes, but different evolution of the timeline and ultimately, a quite different outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
I think SpaceGuitarist isn't alone with this mindset. My dad somehow also wasn't delighted when we heard a really nice electronic remix of Hotel California on holidays. For that French artwork, it looks (at least to someone who understands as little about art as me), that the newer artist sticked to the ancient Roman style design, and 2.21 said explicitly that they want to bring LBA forward to our times.

THANK HEAVENS FOR THESE COMMENTS

thank you
Old 2022-11-04, 14:24
Magic Level: Red Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
Isn't that a bit pessimistic? I'm sure they had regular sessions where they play the old games together, especially because I guess they wanted to show off to the other employees what new features they added. And I would assume that people with a fun job like leading the story of a computer game will be passionate enough to make sure it fits the original atmosphere. And Didier is always there if she has questions.
Totally agree.
Anyway we can't judge before it's out there. Relax people

I hate nothing more than haters
Old 2022-11-04, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hin View Post
we can't judge before it's out there
if with every new reveal of news of the progress of the game, more and more shocking things comes out, why can't we comment on them?

nobody here is judging the final game obviously, everything said is based off everything that was shown so far

Old 2022-11-04, 14:52
Magic Level: Water Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hin View Post
Anyway we can't judge before it's out there. Relax people

I hate nothing more than haters
Hear hear !
Old 2022-11-04, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Hear hear !