Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2003-12-02, 23:57
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBA japanese PSX version: my review.

Hi everybody!
This my first post!

I am a big fan of LBA myself (played both of them on PC, finished both of them), so I decided to go a step forward in my LBA craze and decided to get LBA for PSX!
But as you all know, PAL and NTSC region games do not match, since PAL games run on 50Hz and NTSC games run on 60 Hz.

So I decided to get the japanese version!

Anyways, I knew the european PSX version included all the voices that were featured in my PC version, so I really wanted to try the japanese version to hear japanese voices.
After paying 15$CAN (about 10$US) for the japanese LBA for PSX and waiting a whole week, I finall got my hands on it.

...I must say that I am both impressed and VERY deceived.
So here goes:

Presentation :
Nice menus, just like the PC version's (japanese kanjis everywhere! But I can manage so I don't mind^^). BUT the cursor moves half a second after I press a button... the texture on the box you are highlighting is kind of slow and doesn't feel very smooth. The feeling it is not 60 frames per seconds really makes me feel uneasy. (7/10)

Graphics:
UGH! I can't believe it! But what I feared most was right in front of my eyes:
-Normal PSX resolution! The PSX is capable of much higher resolutions! Chrono Cross (char. status screen) and Clock Tower 2 Struggle Within are perfect examples. It's hard to pinpoint the direction Twinsen is facing.
-Very very low frame rate! The PC version runs at 60 FPS 99% of the game. Why does the PSX version always have slowdowns and, UGH, occasional glitches? Okay, the glitches happen every now and then, when I fight someone, but the frame rate is totally ruining this game's experience! Not only does it make the game look slow (it really is at normal speed), but it also takes out all the fluid and smooth feeling the original PC version had. Event the moving 2-D objects move with at a low frame rate!
At a low resolution, perhaps it would've been better to have reduced the number of polygons per character to make things more smooth... The only good point is that the characters seem to have the exact same amount of polygons than in the PC version. Then again, some characters like guards in the first jail kind of seem to have disconnected legs.
(4/10)

-Sound and music:
The music is CD quality where the PC CD version had CD quality music. There were places in the PC game where the music was always MIDI. The MIDI tracks have been remade with the PSX' sound chip, which is not bad, but not worth the PC MIDI.
The sounds have been ported directly to the PSX, as is, but they have suffered a little bit, as the PSX version's sound bits are lower quality sounds (sounds like 22KHs instead of 44KHz) but it doesn't really matter since they are all there.
And... the voices.
My very first complaint is that the japanese game is not multiligual (background voice: 'DUH!'). It only features japanese texts and voices. It's not a bad thing though since the voices are very well acted (as expected from japanese VA). The characters sound very different from the english version and the french version though. All, and I mean, ALL the characters speak with a typical japanese voice. Zoe has a cute high pitched, high-school girl-like voice. Many rabibunnies have medium-low voices, so does Twinsen. The bad guys (even the nurse that tells you you were to be dissected), have typical japanese bad guys' voices (low, evil, think Cid in final fantasy 10!). Not bad, but it feels so much more serious than the other languages' voices. Personally, I'd take french voice acting anytime.
BUT the music stops everytime a character speaks. The PSX' CD drive is slower than a PC's, what can I expect from it anyway...
(9/10)

Translation:
Hmm, not much to say here, but I wanted to mention that the japanese script stayed very close and true to the french script. But when characters say smart stuff that sound cool only in french, the japanese would replace it with something very straightforward and basic (Like the itchy-something Zoe told Twinsen as the clones came to fetch him in his house).
What amused me most was that instead of say 'Hi.' or 'Euh, salut.', Twinsen says 'Yah.' in japanese. I know 'Ohayô' and 'Konnichi wa' but I never heard 'Yah.'...
(10/10)

Overall:
A faithful port that could've been polished before being released. Everything is ok, except (a big 'Except' here!) the graphics and the presentation.
If you are looking for a true LBA experience, get the PC CD version of LBA for about 10$ and you won't regret it.
Unless you are a collector and understand a little bit of japanese, or you are a LBA hardcore fan (ex: me), don't try the japanese PSX version, you'll be deceived. I don't know anything about the PAL version, but I think it might be better.
Anyways, stick to the PC version.
(7/10) (not an average)

Okay, I know that I complain a lot, but I still enjoy LBA JP PSX since it is LBA after all ^_^

Now I have a few questions:
-Is the PAL PSX version of LBA as bad as the way I described the JP PSX version?
-Tell me as much as you can abou the PAL PSX version (the same aspects, the same way I described the JP PSX version is possible)
-Does the background music stop everytime a character starts speaking?

If you have questions or curiosities about the japanese PSX version of LBA, don't hesitate to ask them here, I'll try to reply!

-Ciao!
Old 2003-12-03, 00:04
Idyllic + whimsical

Bah, I want the Japanese version too
It must be the rarest version out there.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2003-12-03, 00:21

It is?
Aha, then I'll give LBA JP PSX a 8/10 after all, muwahahaha!

...just joking, it deserves 7/10 in my opinion.
I can try to get japanese voice samples with PSXMC. Anyone interested?
If ther is anyone interested, then I can do it during the days before christmas...

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention:
The game loads literally for everything I do, even when I look at Twinsen's status and when I halt twinsen when he jumps in the air! Please tell me it's different in the PSX PAL version...
And the game also runs at a smoother pace on an emulator (high resolution) than on my real PSOne! Hmm... I wonder what's wrong...

I just got my tunic so I might update this topic from time to time, as I go further in the game.
Old 2003-12-03, 00:43
Magic Ball Master

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Btw, its possible extract the Japanese Translation in PSX version???

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2003-12-03, 00:49

Nope, I can extract FMVs, voice bits and CD tracks (as-is like the PC CD version's). But the japanese script is not extractable.
I'm telling you it's 95% similar to the french script (so far, just got in Principal island!) because I understand japanese (or at least I know the basics and understand many words). So I read and hear what the characters say while I play and compare them to the french version on the go (I kind of know LBA's most important dialogues since I finished it like 5 to 6 times back at the time when it was the only groovy PC game I had).
Old 2003-12-03, 00:56
Magic Ball Master

I just ask because this page have lots of Lba Translations and dind't have the japanese trasnlations.

Old 2003-12-03, 01:07

Perhaps it's because the japanese script has been officially released and there was no use in translating it in japanese.

I jsut got in the Linda or whatever talkative rabibunny's house. By the time I got there, I was game over twice already beacuse it's been 6 years I haven't touched LBA so my skills got rusty. I forgot all the timing and stuff (got killed by the tank on principal island, by the guard and rabibunny clone at the port, drowned twice (got hurt and twinsen fell down), got killed by soldier in Citadel island...
I feel ashamed :P
Old 2003-12-03, 01:47
Magic Ball Master

Oh wow! As an anime fan and attempting to learn some Japanese, I would love to hear that voice acting .
"ya" is just an informal form of "konichiwa", kind of like "hi" and "good day", I suppose.

Up until now the Japanese version always was kind of unknown, we never knew how much work they actually put into it with translating everything. You made a nice review with a lot of info, thanks for that
Old 2003-12-03, 04:48
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Really cool, very detailed review.

One thing though, the pc version will run at any framerate you like, as long as your CPU/Moniter support it

Oh, and PAL50hz?
Not for some ^_^
[SIZE=2](im only saying that because i got PAL60 working on my Gamecube/PC Moniter today. PAL suppiour Resolution at NTSC framerate... )

I havnt got the PSX version, so I cant comment.
I dont have a PSX in fact (i use emus if i want to play a game).

I currently own two boxed versions of LBA1 and 1 boxed version of LBA2.

LBA1 = 2*Classic boxs (yet different ones)
LBA2 = Original Europian box.
Old 2003-12-03, 14:25
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire04
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention:
The game loads literally for everything I do, even when I look at Twinsen's status and when I halt twinsen when he jumps in the air! Please tell me it's different in the PSX PAL version...
The PAL version runs is smooth...only a short loading screen when changing locations.
Old 2003-12-03, 16:19
weee

I want the texts and font of the PC japanese version for my site... CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE IT
Old 2003-12-03, 20:53

Ahh... now I understand...
I understand why the port of LBA on PSX JP is so bad...

According to Gamefaqs, LBA PSX was released in Japan in 1996. The european version was released in 1997.
And I also read on this site (http://www.defence-force.org/computi...s/adeline/lba/) that LBA PSX was supposed to have many additions. Well go on that site, and refer to it as I state more of LBA PSX JP's cons:
-Twinsen loses life when he runs in a wall (yeah, it really happens).
-resoltion: 320x256 or something. The normal PSX resolution.
-no graphical representation of my PSX or its peripherals

On a side note, do you all remember how stressful it was in the first prison? In the beginning of the PC version, after acting agressive, beating up a nurse and getting on the lift, you have to run as fast as possible toward the stairs and beat quickly the nurse nearest of the alarm button before taking care of the scientist.
In the PSX JP version, only the scientist is there, no pressure... I can take my time.
I just finished the temple of Bu, but I've been game over like 4 times already, thanks to the low frame rate and the slightly unresponsive controls.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could post images of LBA PSX PAL version or write a detailed review.
Old 2003-12-03, 21:22
Idyllic + whimsical

I'll write one tommorow perhaps...
LBA PSX PAL (CAPS LOCK!!!) seems to be LBA minus all the annoying little things.
Old 2003-12-03, 22:02
Magic Ball Master

Oooh very nice review, Japanese LBA FMVs and such must be very interesting. Welcome to the forum too Hellfire04!
Old 2003-12-04, 18:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally posted by FireBall2K
I'll write one tommorow perhaps...
LBA PSX PAL (CAPS LOCK!!!) seems to be LBA minus all the annoying little things.

LBA for whimps who cant play games ^_^
Old 2003-12-04, 19:17
Idyllic + whimsical

Well, losing health when hitting walls must be the most demonic feature a game could have.
Old 2003-12-04, 21:19
Previously Link

i'd really like to hear the jap voices of lba.
Is there any way to get the jap voices and text for lba2 ?
Old 2003-12-04, 21:22
weee

I far as I know, the LBA PSX cd also has the HQR and VOX files on it. So maybe Hellfire04 could extract it with LBADeCOMP
Old 2003-12-04, 21:43
Previously Link

True ? that'd be nice !
Old 2003-12-05, 01:52

Okay, I've posted a few snapshots of LBA PSX JP with epsxe. You may gawk at the horridness of this unpolished version. Note that the game really runs at this resolution and at a framerate of about 15 to 30 fps.
Oh yeah, the image with the soldier telling Twinsen that it's forbidden to walk in the city with uniforms has a glitch, which is due to the plugin I used. Don't mind the garbled texts in the background.
Notice that in the close-up shots (like when you go in the truck), the characters are not pixelated, but the background is. And boy is it ugly! At least, when I use close-up shots, I can notice that the characters have the exact same number of polygons than in the PC version.
Check out Twinsen's small hands in the close-up shot!
Did you see? Twinsen CAN get hurt when he runs into a wall! I wish I had the PAL LBA PSX and a PAL PSX...
BTW, the FMVs are nothing impressive. They are the exact same, and since they feature little (Twinsen's 'Ooh!') to no voice acting, they are exactly similar to the PC versions (perhaps they are lower quality on the PSX too). The three blue balls thingy is part of an FMV for Electronic Arts' logo.
As for the sounds, well I'll do what I can.
Old 2003-12-05, 20:26
Idyllic + whimsical

Dead images.
I tried to paste their address, and it asked me to save it, and I saved it as jpg but it still wouldn't open.
Old 2003-12-05, 20:40
Still in a dream...

Interesting indeed. I would like to get the japanese version, but from where? EbayUk doesn't sell it. And I don't trust the american ebay, simply cos its too much hasslev changing £ into $ etc.

But yeah, cool. I didnt play much LBA for my psx. PC version pwns.
Old 2003-12-13, 20:26
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
I want the texts and font of the PC japanese version for my site... CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE IT
Its simple, kick your PC with a L.B.A and will say: Aw! But I found the texts ripped on a cd-rip, it says go a warez site once! Then download L.B.A pc once! He will then say this must be the answer of some kind puzzle!
Old 2003-12-22, 15:38
Magic Ball Master

Its possible play PSX in the pc, right?
With wich program?

Old 2003-12-22, 15:53
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont
Its possible play PSX in the pc, right?
With wich program?
ePSXe