Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-07-29, 20:18
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Excelent easy explanation of dimensions

http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php

Really wonderfully explained.

Allthough they should point out that above dimension 5, they could be listed in any order or numbers.
Old 2006-07-29, 20:31
Do the evolution.

I remember the mind bending I did to some people I know with the one sided piece of paper, but I folded it into an infinity sign, and they where like, "damn it has only one side" and sitting for an hour over it wondering how it may be and not understaning it...
Old 2006-07-30, 13:42
Previously Link

Uh, that's not the thing the more complicated to understand in my opinion.
~~
There's something that sounds weird in this theory, maybe my understanding of english doesn't help, but i feel like there is something that doesn't make sense arround 5th or above...
Old 2006-07-30, 14:04
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Very cool!

However, I always thought what happens in the future always had one result with the current parameters (or whatever you say). What I mean is when they explained dimension 5, they said that what we choose could twist the time dimension to different outcomes, I always thought we really had no choice

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2006-07-30, 14:46
Previously Link

No, we do have choice, it's like choosing one path when walking through the 3 known dimentions, you just choose at the same time one path through the 5th dimention, that is following the time line direction.
Old 2006-07-30, 16:56
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
well actually what we are doing NOW is ONE of the INFINITE possibilities from the 10th dimension , so we have a choice ( we choose the patch ) but out choice is limited to a set of predefined outcomes , BUT that set apparently is infinite , so YES WE DO HAVE A CHOICE .
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2006-07-30, 17:22
Look beyond reality.

I don't get it. In the 2nd and 3rd dimention, the ant could walk over to the other side of the newspaper.
In the time dimention, you could walk over to the other possible outcomes of your life.
In the last (or ninth, dunno) dimention, we could be able to jump over to different outcomes of different universes.

Now, I'm not very good with these things. I understand an ant walking over to another side of a newspaper.
But seriously: jumping into alternative timelines and other universes? That's impossible.
Old 2006-07-30, 17:26
Twinsunian Quetch

of course it is for us cause we're in the 3rd ... our mind is not able to comprehend the notions of even the 4th dimension . so don't feel "stupid" cause you don't understand , cause you are "designed" not to .
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2006-07-30, 17:36
Previously Link

Nah, nah, that's not how it works imo, whatever we understand or not, that's not what decides our ability to move to these other dimentions, it's more that we have a position in all dimentions and we can't change this postion by wishing it.
e.g. we can walk from a point to another, but can you fly to the sun ?
within the time dimention we move with the earth's motion in time, and maybe there are small fluctuations on time's axis for every person, but so small that we can't notice them. Maybe i'm able to go back in time for a few millisecs or something, who knows ?
Hey, CMon, Darkflame, help us with one of your big theories !!
Old 2006-07-30, 23:56
The Prince of all Saiyans

Send a message via ICQ to Bomba!
<--Bamboozled.
Lost them at the folding part even. I'll rewatch it tomorrow and try to understand more, interesting stuff.
"All men dream, but not equally.Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." ~Thomas Edward Lawrence

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life, so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry." ~ Indian Saying
Old 2006-07-31, 00:27
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Actualy, thinking about it, only 5 D is nesscery.

1,2,3 and 4 are all the possible positions in space and time.
5 is all the possibilitys and combinations of those positions.

Thats everything already.
That already includes all possible universe's, possible starts and ends ect.
Theres no need for an extra division for the universe itself. All the possible versions of my life, and all the possible versions of the universe...same thing really.
Old 2006-07-31, 00:38
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link
Nah, nah, that's not how it works imo, whatever we understand or not, that's not what decides our ability to move to these other dimentions, it's more that we have a position in all dimentions and we can't change this postion by wishing it.
e.g. we can walk from a point to another, but can you fly to the sun ?
within the time dimention we move with the earth's motion in time, and maybe there are small fluctuations on time's axis for every person, but so small that we can't notice them. Maybe i'm able to go back in time for a few millisecs or something, who knows ?
Hey, CMon, Darkflame, help us with one of your big theories !!
What you said is pretty accurate.
We only controll our movement in 3D...and maybe we accidently move a little in time.
=============

The viewpoint this animation (and myself) take is that by our acts of oberservation we collapse quantom waves...that is...possibilitys...into the future we actualy oberserve.

The universe exists as a fixed "box" of all possibilitys...many of which we cant even imagine...our brains arnt able too. The universe is everything. Simple everything. The largest possibile interpretation of that word.

As sentient beings, we simple plot our path though the possibilitys.
Like wiggleing string, with a point on the string always going forward.

Quote:
of course it is for us cause we're in the 3rd ... our mind is not able to comprehend the notions of even the 4th dimension . so don't feel "stupid" cause you don't understand , cause you are "designed" not to .
Very good point indeed.
Its why I believe that if we are to progress as a technological culture we have to learn to "meta-think" better. Spreading thinking and ideas over many people, each who can deal with a bit of it.

We might not be able to picture a 4D shape, but we have learnt to understand what their 3D shadows would look like, and we can picture them easily.
What A human cant understand, many humans together can still conquere, imo....even if it is beyond the programing of the individuals

Quote:
But seriously: jumping into alternative timelines and other universes? That's impossible.
It may well be impossible to jump...we cant fold space.......but that dosnt mean the concept is worthless, or any less true.

If you ever see a small dot appear out of nowhere hoveing, grow to a sphere, and then shrink to a dot....then thanks to this you know its a higher dimensional enity passing though our 3D layer

Last edited by Darkflame; 2006-07-31 at 00:43.
Old 2006-07-31, 04:54
Trippin Alien

Interesting Concept
Old 2006-07-31, 14:38
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
If you ever see a small dot appear out of nowhere hoveing, grow to a sphere, and then shrink to a dot....then thanks to this you know its a higher dimensional enity passing though our 3D layer
Hehe, never thought of this like it, that's pretty interesting.

Quote:

Theres no need for an extra division for the universe itself. All the possible versions of my life, and all the possible versions of the universe...same thing really.
Yep, I agree, only 5 D are necessary imo, or maybe i didn't really understand what was the point in those dimentions over 5th... That's getting to complicated or doesn't make sense to me upper 5th dimention. Or maybe i missed some concepts... I'll try to watch it again.

--

I remember wondering about dimentions and making great theories about it in math classes this year with a friend.
We asked ourselves if perpendicularisme made some sense when talking about the time axis and another axis...

--

Our perception and actions on dimentions are limited now. But who knows, maybe it will evolve. I think our perception has already evolved since we were all just bacterias living in water. Maybe some animals on earth or some aliens percepts some dimentions we don't, who knows ? For exemple time don't seem to be the same for bees...

Last edited by Lupin; 2006-07-31 at 14:46.
Old 2006-08-01, 13:43
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:

I think not, there must be a reason those nerds/scientists separate space and universes.

I believe the answer lies in that infinity sign or that there is a difference between universe and space. A universe has both Space and time parameters, treating both of them as a point, while space is eh.... space .

Well, maybe my reasons are not correct, however I'm pretty sure there is not only 5 dimensions.

Also why don't you say it should only be six dimensions?, or do you not believe our time is full of teleport-centers ^^?

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2006-08-01, 16:49
Sheepie for short

Some string theories say there are 26 dimensions, but most of them are only visable at a subatomic level. It's like, if you look at a hosepipe from far enough away, it just looks like a straight line – 1-dimensional. When you get a bit closer you can see it's not completely straight – it occupies 2 dimensions. When you get even closer you can see it has thickness as well – 3 dimensions. If you look at it at a subatomic level, you might see many more...

I haven't seen the video by the way, as they haven't made Flash 8 for Linux.

Edit: I just noticed there was a text-based version. Very interesting.

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.

Last edited by Purple Sheep; 2006-08-01 at 21:40.
Old 2006-08-01, 18:28
Classic

Quote:
Some string theories says there are 26 dimensions, but most of them are only visable at a subatomic level. It's like, if you look at a hosepipe from far enough away, it just looks like a straight line – 1-dimensional. When you get a bit closer you can see it's not completely straight – it occupies 2 dimensions. When you get even closer you can see it has thickness as well – 3 dimensions. If you look at it at a subatomic level, you might see many more...
Absolutely.
Indeed when talking of string theory, the dimensions they talk of are normaly tiny.
For a string theorist, their dimensions are only there as an extra varible..or "storerage space" of the universe.

I think 9 is the currently leading value.

There could well me more dimensions, but as far as "macro"" sized ones go, I am not convienced theres a nessceity for more then 5.

Quote:
Also why don't you say it should only be six dimensions?, or do you not believe our time is full of teleport-centers
Well, 5D stores all possible positions of 4D space.....all the possible timelines...but it would also let us fold 4D space in it....letting us traveling in space and time ver shortcuts.

So teleporting in space and time is possible in 5D.

However, I guess you would need 6D to fold 5D space and teleport to another set of possibilitys.
Like Sliders.
Old 2006-08-01, 18:46
Previously Link

Quote:
However, I guess you would need 6D to fold 5D space and teleport to another set of possibilitys.
Like Sliders.
So, 6D keeps making sense for me, thought i don't really like Sliders. Hehe.
Old 2006-08-09, 22:26
Twinsunian Quetch

the 4D object is not a 4d object ... SOMETHING in 4D manifest itself in a linear way , continuing to change it's shape and construction , currently viewed by us as "objects through time"
Old 2006-08-10, 15:52
Classic

We see a 3D slice of a 4D object.
We seeing it changeing shape, but it is not...it is merely our viewport...our "slice" that is changeing.