Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2001-03-18, 22:07
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Untill I can sort out a system for the RMP (Relentless Movie Project) I will post any help I need here.
----
1. Can someone find me a decent picture of a soldier from LBA1, so I can model it in 3D. I could get this myself but I have lost my copy of HypersnapDX. (and I can't be bothered )
2. Can someone help me make a form for my website.I want to make a simple form so people can sign up to help with RMP, but I am no good with Html/Java.
Old 2001-03-18, 22:43
Magic Ball Master

1) http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/lbawld/lba1other.html
2) Would love to do it, but got no time. Maybe within a few days, but someone else is probably faster. BTW, you won't need Java to do this

[Edited by wacko on 18-03-2001 at 21:56]
Old 2001-03-18, 23:19
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Thx.
I will send you an example HTML file of what I would like, see If you can put the code in.
Old 2001-03-19, 07:33
!!!!!

If you got LBADeCOMP than extract entry number 24 in movie.hqr from LBA2 CD, that's some very good fanco sodlier pictures.

[edit]
O_o Dumb me, there are no francos in LBA1...
[/edit]

[Edited by ChaosFish on 19-03-2001 at 06:42]
Old 2001-03-19, 21:42
Classic

%)
Old 2001-03-19, 22:50
Master of Science & Magic

I for one will not help you Darkflame. It's not because I don't like you
I just don't have the time to work on another project.
Old 2001-03-22, 17:19
Classic

Thats fine, but you din't need to bother telling me you won't help!
I think certain projects could help eachover (Models I make from RMP could be converted to be used in LBADM ect.)
Old 2001-03-23, 01:07
Your God

Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix
I saw your explosion movie, it pretty cool, but it has 3D Studio Max Combustion™ written all over it. Also it could perhaps benifit from a bigger Twinsun and some camera movement. Is this a scene from the final thing, or are these just test renders?

I have Easter holidays in 2 weeks I think so I set to work helping you some then, I have just been designing the explosion effects for my WC movie, and I can use them on a scene if you want.

Old 2001-03-23, 14:39
Classic

Just a test render.
I wanted to add a distorted lensflare, to maker it more like the real intro.
The only thing that is finnished is the 'Gensis' movie (except sound).NOTE: version on I-Drive is the almost finnished version, I can't be bothered to update it yet.
----

My explosion scene needs motion blur on the particals, to make them look less sharp, and purhapes use fragmented particals with depth.
Your explosions Very Cool, but, like mine, the fragments are sharp. For a space ships thats Ok, but a planet with sharp edges looks weird.
I would like too see how you got the glow FX, its very cool.
Old 2001-03-23, 23:23
Your God

Well I use Cinema 4D and it differs quite significantly to 3D Studio Max. I think it can still be translated though.

Basically those explosions consist of a particle emitter that throws out those glowing "spikes". The "spikes" are 4 xyz volumetric lights getting smaller arranged in a line. They have no glow effects it's just the light. The big fireball in the middle is just an animated xyz volume light that scales up and down. You have to see it in motion to see how it looks. In Cinema 4D I can't add motion blur to particles but I can to other objects (like the ship in the first picture).

As for the sharp bits, that's just an explosion preset key animation effect. They always look the same in 3D programs (sharp) because they just split the model at it's vertices into quadrangles. I think adding motion blur to all the explosion particles would take tremendous processing time. I think the best way is to perhaps mak a load of irregular speheres (asteroid shape) inside the planet and then animate them flying outwards making it look like they are the acutal planet and just make the planet dissappear in the explosion. I'll try and do a quick animation to give you a better idea of what I mean.

Phew, long thread.
Old 2001-03-25, 16:00
Magic Ball Master

Finished the sign-up script...

Everybody who wants to sign up for the project can do it now at http://www.bkxl.f2s.com/RMP.
Old 2001-03-25, 17:06
Classic

Thanks Wacko,
I will copy the script to my site as well.
-------
Phoenix
Actualy adding motion blur in 3DS MAX to animations dosn't add that much more to rendering times.
If your doing a still image with a motion blur spread over 5 frames it would take 5 times longer.
But in animations the programme has to work out what all those frames look like anyway, so it only addes the time take to blur the frames together (and mask).
I have done a explosion motion blur effect to a non-LBA animation, and it looks much better (a animation of the earth exploding).
I think purhapes a mixture of Polygon segments and manual segements might be the best soltion.The best looking effect is to use Meta-Particals, but they take years to render.
I tryed using volumetric bulb lights insted of combustion, but they are way to slow in 3DS Max.I might just use a lensflare, and a post-preduction glow instead.
Old 2001-03-25, 23:08
Your God

I have no idea what meta-particles are, elaborate.

I think that just using post-production effects like lens flare and glow will look very bad, it makes it look very 2D and I think the one that you already have would look better than that.

As for rendering time on motion blur, it takes a lot longer on my system! I use a P233 so that might be it, but either way when the renderer has to apply blur to 6000+ particles in each frame which is what some of my scenes use, trust me you will feel the pain of it when you start pulling your hair out.

Also could you DivX this Exploding Earth animation please I would like to see it.
Old 2001-03-25, 23:30
Classic

Ok..will upload DixV version tommorow.
Don't underestimate Post production, with the right matting you can produce very good effects (the blizzard effect in my Fly movie was post).3DS MAX has a poast production thing built in, so you can keyframe lensflare with the scene better.I know it will be hard to look right, but I am trying to get as neer to the oringal as possible.
----
Metaparticals are VERY cool.
Metablobs, are quit common in 3d packages now (or a least as plugins).They are basicaly spheres that morph together when they get close to eachover.
Metaparticals are large numbers of metaparticals that 'flow' and morph together out of an emmiter.They are userlly used for water and smoke effects, but are really slow to render.
Old 2001-03-25, 23:57
hmz

Send a message via ICQ to {}ghost{}
Hey Wacko I looked at the source of your form
You said you can do it with plain HTML though I saw PHP there ("<form name="form" action="index.php" method="post">")

anyway - I filled the form, and after I pressed "sign me up" i got to another page..
How did it do that? You didnt write anything about it..
Old 2001-03-26, 01:04
Master of Science & Magic

the php script will probably email the content, usualy you get a warning dialog from the browser when you have a "email:bla" as action.
Old 2001-03-26, 01:05
Your God

Ok, I know what meta-particles are now. I was using Cineman 4D V5.29 until yesterday when I finally found V6 which has them, they gave an example movie of them, they can be contained in a bottle and they effect each other and they can look like the Terminator when in a chrome colour. Indeed they are neat but how would you use them on a planet exploding scene?

The Blizzard was good, and I also use lens flares with keyframes for things such as fighter engine glows, but on an explosion when they are stationary they still look funny.

I'll take a look at the original movie in LBA1, I only played that game once.
Old 2001-03-26, 15:33
hmz

oh so what's that PHP script?

I mean I can just change a few things there and I'd be able to make my own form
just change that HTML page Wacko did
Old 2001-03-26, 16:53
Magic Ball Master

DarkFlame: you won't be able to copy the script since PHP is a server-side scripting language. You can copy the source of the HTML page, but you can't get the actual script.

Ghost: I never said I could do this with HTML only. I just said you won't need Java for it. I made a very simple PHP script, which sends DarkFlame the content of the form.
BTW, it is possible to send a form using e-mail without PHP, but the user will get annoying pop-ups and the recipent will get the content of the form in a very fucked up style.
Just try to make a form and use <form action="mailto:your@mail.here" action="post">
Old 2001-03-26, 20:30
Classic

Now you tell me...
I wondered what was going wrong.
Old 2001-03-26, 20:55
Magic Ball Master

If you're really dying to get the script, I could send it to you...
Old 2001-03-26, 21:18
Classic

What are the chances it would work on my site.(3dup, I have no idea what system they use)
Old 2001-03-26, 22:00
hmz

Wacko could you send that to me too plz?

Old 2001-03-27, 16:07
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkflame
What are the chances it would work on my site.(3dup, I have no idea what system they use)
I give you 5% chance that it will work. There are very (very, very) little free webhosts that support PHP. http://www.f2s is one.

Quote:
Originally posted by {}ghost{}
Wacko could you send that to me too plz?

I'll send it asap.
Old 2001-03-27, 20:50
Classic

Thanks.