Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2016-07-12, 23:56
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Talking Videoclip of my music band!

Hey everyone! I'm the composer and guitar player of my band Doux Poison. I'm also the director of musixplore so finally I've composed that song, recorded it in my studio, mastered it, write a story and made the videoclip. It's been a lot of work and hope you'll like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4A2FrNQOYo
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-07-13, 01:56
Amnesti

Man i really liked the video work you put into it, looks very professionally made and all!
The distorted guitar at the end really did it for me, it manages to capture the disruptive nature and feeling of total despair after a heartbreak, it's just a constant buildup of endless rage. Like when you speedrun lba.
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Old 2016-07-13, 03:44
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevX View Post
Man i really liked the video work you put into it, looks very professionally made and all!
The distorted guitar at the end really did it for me, it manages to capture the disruptive nature and feeling of total despair after a heartbreak, it's just a constant buildup of endless rage. Like when you speedrun lba.
Hahaha man thanks for your comments, it's really appreciated

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-07-14, 00:52
Magic Ball Master

All well put together.
The video direction and quality is very professional and same with the music.
Really enjoy the music, the only thing I missed was a lyric.

5*

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2016-07-15, 00:01
the legend

I can't believe there are so few comments here and views there, this is such a great work! Everything is well polished and professional. I can notice that so much effort has been put into it. My ratings, haha:

Acting -
Video/editing -
Song -
Story -

I'd score the story low because all the rest is so good, but the story is a bit shallow in the sense that: seriously one would throw your life away because a girl has been not caring about you anymore although didn't want to break up?? I like the strong emotions suggested at the start, passion and the beautiful romance, but concluding with trashing himself and a suicide because that was over is too much.

Nevertheless, the instrumental is very interesting, lots of different moments and vibes, deep sounds... nice.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2016-07-15, 20:55
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post
All well put together.
The video direction and quality is very professional and same with the music.
Really enjoy the music, the only thing I missed was a lyric.

5*
Thanks a lot xesf! We're playing post-rock and there's rarely lyrics in that style. I like to go deep in music production and totally bypass lyrics and leave the listener open imagination when he listens to the full album. Then he can build his own story

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I can't believe there are so few comments here and views there, this is such a great work! Everything is well polished and professional. I can notice that so much effort has been put into it. My ratings, haha:

Acting -
Video/editing -
Song -
Story -

I'd score the story low because all the rest is so good, but the story is a bit shallow in the sense that: seriously one would throw your life away because a girl has been not caring about you anymore although didn't want to break up?? I like the strong emotions suggested at the start, passion and the beautiful romance, but concluding with trashing himself and a suicide because that was over is too much.

Nevertheless, the instrumental is very interesting, lots of different moments and vibes, deep sounds... nice.
Thanks for the comments man. I really like to have a kind of "review" on the stuff I produce, it helps me getting better and better! For the story I see the end is unclear for some people. First thing to know, it's not a suicide, it's an accident. Semi true story: The actor is one of my friend and girls often make him do stupid things and he end up in bad situations. What we see in the clip is only a sad man that haven't isn't still recovered from that girl. With time he would have been ok with it and go along with life and be happy. Unfortunately he decided to drive drunk and an accident happened. It never mean't to be a suicide.

Well thanks for your comments man and how could I have improved the video/editing to 5 stars? Which plans or edited parts that are 4* ? It's my first videoclip and I am pretty happy of the results. I just did live video and TV before but filmic stuff it's the first time. Honestly I'm quite happy receiving 4* on that

Old 2016-07-18, 18:13
the legend

Oh. It's not a suicide... well... that does change everything! Good.

About the 4 stars on editing, I've just watched it again paying close attention, and indeed I cannot find any mistakes or anything I would have changed... so... I guess you deserve the 5 stars, hah. Just some scenes appear too dark, but I guess there's no solution to that without bringing up noise, I know how hard it is to shoot in low-light, so that doesn't really count as a editing problem.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2016-07-18, 20:09
FreemanQC

Quote:
Oh. It's not a suicide... well... that does change everything! Good.

About the 4 stars on editing, I've just watched it again paying close attention, and indeed I cannot find any mistakes or anything I would have changed... so... I guess you deserve the 5 stars, hah. Just some scenes appear too dark, but I guess there's no solution to that without bringing up noise, I know how hard it is to shoot in low-light, so that doesn't really count as a editing problem.
Thanks man Some shots have been shot at 32 000 iso.

Old 2016-07-18, 20:46
the legend

Woah. And little to no noise... good job.

If you want to evaluate my stuff, feel free: https://forum.magicball.net/showthre...ewpost&t=17980 .

Old 2016-07-19, 00:42
FreemanQC

Quote:
Woah. And little to no noise... good job.

If you want to evaluate my stuff, feel free: https://forum.magicball.net/showthre...ewpost&t=17980 .
The camera I'm using is a brand new kind of camera that have outstanding low light capabilities! It's the Sony A7Sii. It's even better than my old Sony FS100 which is really sharp but not great in low light.

I'll have a look at your channel.

Old 2016-07-19, 03:42
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
It's the Sony A7Sii.
What a beauty!

I suppose your audio equipment is no less expensive... the audio quality is excellent. I particularly liked the snare drum, it's clear sounding in the mix yet soft and non-intrusive.

Old 2016-07-19, 11:53
Magic Ball Master

Great work! I'm a videographer myself so excuse me if my review get's a bit technical:

Loved the images! Blocking and lighting were spot on most of the time. The contrast between high-key bedroom-scenes and the dark bar connected via the contrasty attic (where the band performs) carry the tone very well.
You had a few 180°-breaks (e.g.in the bar, taking the beer), but they are probably only noticeable for other filmmakers
I didn't notice "acting" which is everything you can wish for in a piece without dialogue. If the viewer thinks there is real acting involved (although there sure as hell is a lot), something's wrong usually.

Only thing I'd like to criticize (here's where you can improve): just because you have that gimbal doesn't mean you have to use it. I know it's very tempting to get that really cool steady moving shot that leaves the viewers scratching their heads how it's pulled off, but in some cases it's not helping the story but irritating (this is only for the story-part as the performance has a different feel which fits the fluid shots nicely).
Moving towards or away from an actors face always has some emotional expectation for the viewer and if it's done without real intention it becomes awkward (e.g. when he enters the car).
I really liked when you changed to handheld in the bar scene, because the slight shakiness added to the drunk feeling of the main character, but you immediately changed back to the fluid movement afterwards.

Again all in all great work, and I'm surprised what images you could capture with this sweet little camera (I was genuinely thinking RED for the first few Scenes ).
Old 2016-07-19, 19:41
FreemanQC

Quote:
I suppose your audio equipment is no less expensive... the audio quality is excellent. I particularly liked the snare drum, it's clear sounding in the mix yet soft and non-intrusive.
Thanks for my snare mix! The audio equipment is quite less expensive. I've always believed that audio is about how it's recorded and mixing not the equipment. I can't say that for video unfortunately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoboe View Post
Loved the images! Blocking and lighting were spot on most of the time.
I try to not use lightning in low light situation to get the most of the real ambiance. When it comes to sunny windows, interior and stuff like that I use lightning only to compensate the source of light that enters in the camera.

Quote:
The contrast between high-key bedroom-scenes and the dark bar connected via the contrasty attic (where the band performs) carry the tone very well.
I didn't really liked the lightning in the bed scene. I didn't liked my color grading too but yes it kind of surprised me when I saw how it goes well with the band performance part.

Quote:
You had a few 180°-breaks (e.g.in the bar, taking the beer), but they are probably only noticeable for other filmmakers
Can you please send me the eact time to look at this? I've worked pretty hard to avoid false connection. Maybe I've missed some

Quote:
I didn't notice "acting" which is everything you can wish for in a piece without dialogue. If the viewer thinks there is real acting involved (although there sure as hell is a lot), something's wrong usually.
Small town + 0$ budget = No actors = Friends doing it for fun I think it's still good how it end up. Still I had a document with everything written to not be lost on the field. Well I haven't used it every time but it was a good guide! See attached file.

Quote:
Only thing I'd like to criticize (here's where you can improve): just because you have that gimbal doesn't mean you have to use it. I know it's very tempting to get that really cool steady moving shot that leaves the viewers scratching their heads how it's pulled off, but in some cases it's not helping the story but irritating (this is only for the story-part as the performance has a different feel which fits the fluid shots nicely).
Really happy to hear that. Because I'm too a big fan of get rid of the gimbal sometimes. It's great but we still need handheld shots which are always awesome in a project. It's like people who over use slow mo, ARGH!! I think 50/50 would be a great ratio, but still it depends on the project! But it was my first project with my new 2k toy, I guess anybody would have done this haha.

On the other side lots of people think some shots like the hands shot in the coffee at start of the video (scene 2) is gimbal but it's not. Some shots are just really stable handheld.

Quote:
I really liked when you changed to handheld in the bar scene, because the slight shakiness added to the drunk feeling of the main character, but you immediately changed back to the fluid movement afterwards.
Gimbal here would have ruin everything imo. But yes you're right the car scene would have been more feel handheld.

Quote:
Again all in all great work, and I'm surprised what images you could capture with this sweet little camera (I was genuinely thinking RED for the first few Scenes ).
Woaw RED thanks man! The A7Sii is the new camera for videographer right now. People use RED at work and A7S at home. I personally think it's the best cam right now for the size and low light performances. Otherwise I would say Sony FS700. I would love to have one. I actually have a Sony FS100 which I love but it's only 1080p

Well man thanks a lot for your comments, it's that expert view I need to get better. Still we gotta keep in mind it's my first film, new gear, not a lot of time, we were always rushed by the actors, place owner, etc. I think it could have been really worse haha

Here's a paste of some more info about stuff on the video you might be interested in reading :

PHP Code:
Shots are handheld and stabilized with Came Mini 3.
Most of the clip is shot with Rokinon 24mm Cine
I also used the 85mm and 35mm from Rokinon few times.
Everything shot on Cine4 and night shot with Cine2.
Graded with Lumetri and FJ Color luts from Deluts.
Denoised with Red Giant Denoiser*
I got flickering lights that have been deflicked with Deflicker.

I've shooted a lot of scenes around iso 32 000. I really wanted to push the camera to it's limits and I found out it looks pretty good in 4KThe upscaled 1080p at that setting for slow mo isn't great at all. Now I know it it'll be a no go for future shootings 
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Videoclip.pdf‎ (42.2 KB, 29 views)

Old 2016-07-20, 14:12
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I try to not use lightning in low light situation to get the most of the real ambiance. When it comes to sunny windows, interior and stuff like that I use lightning only to compensate the source of light that enters in the camera.
Enhancing the existing light situation is a really great way of getting more quality shots. You're lucky to have a camera capable of low light, but even the A7sII will look nicer with more light darkened in post. It's always more difficult to actively light a scene, but it is a great tool to master.
Quote:
Can you please send me the eact time to look at this? I've worked pretty hard to avoid false connection. Maybe I've missed some
Sure:
0:27 - ist noticeable because the movement is reversed (going away from the character and next coming towards him)
2:09 - circling the character halfway normally changes the 180°-line, so the shot would be better from the right side.
2:23 - though hardly visible ;-) the line of action especially in "fights" (even with inanimate objects) is drawn through the characters.
2:34 - most obvious one: The action happens between barkeeper and the character so showing him from the left side, then from the front-right is a harsh jump even with the pool-intercut (there are also two beer closeups from different sides). I would keep all shots on the right side.
2:54 - movement direction error: he gets slapped from "right to left" then thrown from left to right -> always better to keep the direction if similar actions happen right after one another.

A more general tip:
Have a look at your work without music. It's always a bit awkward to watch, but you will notice these small mistakes way better.
Quote:
Really happy to hear that. Because I'm too a big fan of get rid of the gimbal sometimes. It's great but we still need handheld shots which are always awesome in a project. It's like people who over use slow mo, ARGH!! I think 50/50 would be a great ratio, but still it depends on the project! But it was my first project with my new 2k toy, I guess anybody would have done this haha.
Guess I'm up to the same mistake as I just ordered my first steadicam-system yesterday.
Quote:
Woaw RED thanks man! The A7Sii is the new camera for videographer right now. People use RED at work and A7S at home. I personally think it's the best cam right now for the size and low light performances. Otherwise I would say Sony FS700. I would love to have one. I actually have a Sony FS100 which I love but it's only 1080p
As all of us know, it's not the camera that creates cinematography but how you use it.
I shoot on a Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2,5K and I love the ability to manipulate color from the 4:2:2 ProRes or even RAW-files (I come from a post-production background). Of course it's not as sharp as a 4K-camera but for me color is more important.
Old 2016-07-20, 18:24
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoboe View Post
Enhancing the existing light situation is a really great way of getting more quality shots. You're lucky to have a camera capable of low light, but even the A7sII will look nicer with more light darkened in post. It's always more difficult to actively light a scene, but it is a great tool to master
I think lightning is one of the most important thing to achieve cinematic style.

Quote:
Sure:
0:27 - ist noticeable because the movement is reversed (going away from the character and next coming towards him)
2:09 - circling the character halfway normally changes the 180°-line, so the shot would be better from the right side.
2:23 - though hardly visible ;-) the line of action especially in "fights" (even with inanimate objects) is drawn through the characters.
2:34 - most obvious one: The action happens between barkeeper and the character so showing him from the left side, then from the front-right is a harsh jump even with the pool-intercut (there are also two beer closeups from different sides). I would keep all shots on the right side.
2:54 - movement direction error: he gets slapped from "right to left" then thrown from left to right -> always better to keep the direction if similar actions happen right after one another.
Thanks man I've been through all of them and yep I didn't notice these things. It'll sure help me to know about them!

Quote:
A more general tip:
Have a look at your work without music. It's always a bit awkward to watch, but you will notice these small mistakes way better.
I did it for this project. I even went one step further and built all the scenes in different sequences without music. So I had to make a scene that work and is fluid without music. That way when adding the track you work with something that's already fluid, then I just had to cut on the music punch. It takes a lot more time but it's the best way to work imo.

Quote:
Guess I'm up to the same mistake as I just ordered my first steadicam-system yesterday.
Woaw cool! What is it?

Quote:
I shoot on a Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2,5K and I love the ability to manipulate color from the 4:2:2 ProRes or even RAW-files (I come from a post-production background). Of course it's not as sharp as a 4K-camera but for me color is more important.
I know exactly what you mean. I literally can't use sLog3 on the a7sii because of the 8 bit processor. It gives too much banding in the skies. Very disappointed... I've been reading about BM cameras before choosing Sony. I went from Canon which is the Apple of the pro camera world imo. I wanted something that gives me more room but honestly BM seems harder. I have ZERO eduction in videography. I've read the internet and watch videos over and over and I still do that. I'm learning as it's going and as I need to do something. Ie in this video I learned how to deflicker a light and denoise. Now I can do this and haven't learned it at school.

I'm very interested in seeing your work man

Old 2016-07-21, 12:53
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I think lightning is one of the most important thing to achieve cinematic style.
Amen

Quote:
I did it for this project. I even went one step further and built all the scenes in different sequences without music. So I had to make a scene that work and is fluid without music. That way when adding the track you work with something that's already fluid, then I just had to cut on the music punch. It takes a lot more time but it's the best way to work imo.
Fluid cutting is one of the hardest things but it always pays in the end. We shot a short film with some kids on summer-camp in Sweden - they had to write, direct and act everything on their own (they really did an awesome job). When I went to cutting it was a real challenge to put everything together because it was mostly a single dream-sequence which should feel very fluid with the suspense building up.

Quote:
Woaw cool! What is it?
A rather simple Tarion-Vest with double-arms and a china-steadicam with built in rail-system. Can find it here.

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. I literally can't use sLog3 on the a7sii because of the 8 bit processor. It gives too much banding in the skies. Very disappointed... I've been reading about BM cameras before choosing Sony. I went from Canon which is the Apple of the pro camera world imo. I wanted something that gives me more room but honestly BM seems harder.
Well, Blackmagic is a great way to get into professional video rather "cheap" (the Pocket camera is sub 1k and used on many current tv shows as b-cam). But once you have the luxury of 10bit 4:2:2 with 13 Stops of dynamic range, you really don't want to do anything else

Quote:
I have ZERO eduction in videography. I've read the internet and watch videos over and over and I still do that. I'm learning as it's going and as I need to do something. Ie in this video I learned how to deflicker a light and denoise. Now I can do this and haven't learned it at school.
I was lucky to have a 1-week class at university where we learned the basics of AV-production from there I could easily build on. But it's not necessary at all. You can learn so many things from the internet. FilmRiot, VideoCopilot and many more give you so much great advice to get out and shoot. I think in just a few years we will have the first blockbusters with directors who have never attended a single film class.

Quote:
I'm very interested in seeing your work man
Will send you a PM.